Commentary: Episode #02

Notable old Evangelion threads from the AnimeNation Forums are preserved here.

Moderators: Monk Ed, Ornette

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 12:34 pm

Hmm, not as much discussion here as I'd hoped... Oh well, what can ya do.

Parts 6~8 are coming up, of course. Despite having a week of college orientation to get them done, I completely failed to do so -- I'm not responding too well to being in a foreign environment, and all. I'll find time; I always do. Meantime: Keisuke-kun, it would be terrific if you could start up on episode #03's script. And, Sharp-kun, take FMTTM off sticky; everyone but Wigs has apparently said what they wanted to.

Originally posted on: 07-Sep-2004, 23:48 GMT

Sharp-kun [ANF]
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby Sharp-kun [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 12:34 pm

Reichu wrote:Hmm, not as much discussion here as I'd hoped... Oh well, what can ya do.

I've got stuff I want to say, but have been too busy Image I've got to get my sister new PC ready for her heading off to Uni this weekend, plus my main PC is still in a state of flux as I wait for new parts....

Originally posted on: 07-Sep-2004, 23:56 GMT

HeWhoPostsStuff [ANF]
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby HeWhoPostsStuff [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 12:34 pm

I'll probably post some drivel once the whole thing is up, and the present comments have been added to the page...so don't worry, I'm still here, just waiting for the prime opportunity to scavenge...

Originally posted on: 08-Sep-2004, 18:41 GMT

Incisivis [ANF]
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Incisivis [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 12:34 pm

Not that my contributions would be exactly scintillating, but I plan to start after Reichu finishes the script, since my character stuffs tend to depend on the whole episode.

Originally posted on: 09-Sep-2004, 19:35 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 12:35 pm

Stuffman, Incisivis... You know I look forward to them!!! Image

Originally posted on: 10-Sep-2004, 03:25 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Well, boys and... girl, the page is FINALLY done... :huff huff: Color-correcting the screencaps for the battle scene (of which there were many-many) was a royal pain in the arse, and I'm sure a lot of them are STILL too dark; I'm definitely not looking forward to the next night-time action sequence (episode #06, I'm guessing). While I've added most of my comments to parts 6~8 already, I'll be incorporating everybody else's comments, the "larger versions of key images" and "Reichu's treatise to Eva head morphology that you've probably seen before and hastily scrolled past" later on. Till then, comment away!

EDIT: Those thumbnails are STILL uploading? Blargh...

Originally posted on: 14-Sep-2004, 16:19 GMT

thewayneiac [ANF]
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby thewayneiac [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 12:35 pm

143: Ugh, did they have to show us that?

145: Seeing a penguin in an apartment would startle me, but I don't think it would panic me like this. He looked lees frightened when he saw Sachiel.

169: DAT. players certainly exist. It means digital audio tape. I suppose that SDAT is an improvement on that. "Super Digital Audio Tape." They play Audio tapes where the information has been digitally encoded, as opposed to standard magnetic tape, which is analog. They never really caught on here, but I've heard that they were popular in some parts of the world.

169: I'm sure it must mean something that Shinji's SDAT player is always shown as playing tracks 25 & 26. Perhaps it is anticipating the importance of those episodes from the beginning.

172: Yes, I agree, this scene did need just a little less water in the tub.Image

237: So, do we finally get to see what happens, or are they leading us on again?

248: Maya's main job seems to be to tell us which emergency procedures aren't working this episode.

251: For some reason, at this point in the Manga, Sadamoto gives away a major plot point that we don't learn until episode 16 in the series. (Though some people guess it long before then.)

254: Sure, 3-D graphs have depth.

260: In the commentary for the English dub of Death AWL says they had to dub the EVA cries because they were on the dialogue track instead of the sound effects track. Wow, some actual information!

316: As I said last episode, there's a reason why Gendo's so confident.

Originally posted on: 14-Sep-2004, 23:28 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

thewayneiac wrote:143: Ugh, did they have to show us that?

It's only fair. :evil:

169: I'm sure it must mean something that Shinji's SDAT player is always shown as playing tracks 25 & 26. Perhaps it is anticipating the importance of those episodes from the beginning.

I believe it was planned out from the beginning that 25 and 26 would see to the fulfillment of Instrumentality, even back in the conceptual stage where something called "Aruka/Aluka" was involved. Wigs may know more about this, wherever he may be!

I remember hearing some weirdass theories about how we see Shinji constantly replaying tracks 25 and 26 are implying that the entire series is being played out to us while Instrumentality is occurring, or some such thing... Does anyone remember anything about this?

254: Sure, 3-D graphs have depth.

They're 3-D?!

Originally posted on: 15-Sep-2004, 01:27 GMT

tv33 [ANF]
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby tv33 [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 12:35 pm

143 - And they say anime girl are too thin. They must not have been feeding him at his former teachers home.

162 - Something tells me he was there for another reason then to see how soon she could work. He could have sent anyone to ascertain that.

164 - However, his concern for Rei, as important as it may be to him, only extends so far. "The ultimate goal" transcends everything else. In its achievement there is no right or wrong, no compassion or intentional cruelty, just necessity.

262 - There was rather funny parody of this scene in Burn up Excess involving a giant transvestite.

http://www.clanbbw.com/publicimg/dat...s/PDVD_021.jpg
http://www.clanbbw.com/publicimg/dat...s/PDVD_022.jpg
http://www.clanbbw.com/publicimg/dat...s/PDVD_023.jpg
http://www.clanbbw.com/publicimg/dat...s/PDVD_024.jpg
http://www.clanbbw.com/publicimg/dat...s/PDVD_025.jpg
http://www.clanbbw.com/publicimg/dat...s/PDVD_026.jpg

(These don't have to be in the commentary, just for anyone who was interested.)

Edit - Damn, copy and paste to see them.

267 - Almost makes it sound like they were counting on it going berserk.

300B - How bad of an *** kicking do you have to be going through to get beaten with your own ribs? Sachiel should just walk away at this point and cut his loses.

340 - Coming to a boy's room late at night wearing nothing but a towel? What a tease.

Originally posted on: 15-Sep-2004, 02:07 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

tv33 wrote:143 – And they say anime girl are too thin. They must not have been feeding him at his former teachers home.

Well, many adolescent boys have the bad habit of being ridiculously thin regardless of how much food you put into them.

262 – There was rather funny parody of this scene in Burn up Excess involving a giant transvestite.

"Dude, that's pretty ****ed up right here!" I need to see this anime!

267 - Almost makes it sound like they were counting on it going berserk.

They don't seem surprised in the slightest, in any case. It really takes a lot to surprise these two fellows.

300B - How bad of an *** kicking do you have to be going through to get beaten with your own ribs? Sachiel should just walk away at this point and cut his loses.

Kind of hard to walk away when you have a pissed-off Eva sitting on you...

340 - Coming to a boy's room late at night wearing nothing but a towel? What a tease.

Well, it is her apartment, after all...

Five measley pages in this thread? Come now, we can do better than that!

On a side note... Where the hell is Wigs?

Originally posted on: 16-Sep-2004, 00:54 GMT

Soluzar [ANF]
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Soluzar [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 12:35 pm

tv33 wrote:340 - Coming to a boy's room late at night wearing nothing but a towel? What a tease.

The first time I read your post, I looked at the screenie and thought you were referring to the towel around her shoulders. I did briefly entertain the notion that she was wearing just that towel, until I looked back at the shots preceding it. That would have been OTT even by Gainax/Misato standards!

It's hardly out of character for Misato. The more I watch this series, the more I realise how strange of a character Misato is. I just can't see a woman of her age being that way towards a 15 year old boy in real life. Mind you, I also can't visualise many boys of Shinji's age reacting in the way that he does! :-)

A decent proportion of lads his age would think of Misato as the perfect roomie.

Some thoughts of mine:

192B - Looks a lot like Shinji is piloting the Eva with physical controls, much like any other giant mecha, doesn't it? Makes you wonder if the animators knew that this was not the case. I mean, he has his hands on some kind of controls. As I said before, when I first saw the series, at this point, I did think that maybe the Eva was piloted at least partially with these handgrips.

211 - This was a very interesting point for me. The pilot feels the damage to their Eva, as though it were to themseves? Sure, it seems obvious now, but it was the beginning of understand how the Eva works, when I first saw the series.

023 - Can't recall if someone else commented this, but... Don't the committee members understand that Ikari had no choice? It's not like it was nepotism, there was a lack of candidates. Besides, if they are gonna complain, what about who he gave unit 0 to? :-D

031 - Pointless comment, but... I do love this shot! No matter how many times they recycled it.

073 - Reichu: Why is your comment about the 'irony bomb' not here? It's a good point...? Just not had time yet?

299 - Again, slightly pointless, but I can't help but be reminded of the opening scenes of 2001 - A Space Oddysee when I see this bit. :-)

321 - 324 - If the cameras that Shinji/the pilot sees through are on the 'helmet' then what is he using to see with now? The 'helmet' is on the damn floor next to him. I'm sure there's an explanation, but for the life of me I can't see it.

Originally posted on: 16-Sep-2004, 01:09 GMT

thewayneiac [ANF]
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby thewayneiac [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 12:35 pm

Reichu wrote:I believe it was planned out from the beginning that 25 and 26 would see to the fulfillment of Instrumentality, even back in the conceptual stage where something called "Aruka/Aluka" was involved. Wigs may know more about this, wherever he may be!

I remember hearing some weirdass theories about how we see Shinji constantly replaying tracks 25 and 26 are implying that the entire series is being played out to us while Instrumentality is occurring, or some such thing... Does anyone remember anything about this?

Yes, I've seen that once or twice too. I can't remember where, though.

They're 3-D?!

Yes, the "stairstep" design of this graph is an attempt to show 3 dimensions.
]http://www.avians.net/rkc/14daughter...g?IctQual=100]

Originally posted on: 16-Sep-2004, 01:33 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Soluzar wrote:That would have been OTT even by Gainax/Misato standards!

..."OTT"?

192B - Looks a lot like Shinji is piloting the Eva with physical controls, much like any other giant mecha, doesn't it? Makes you wonder if the animators knew that this was not the case. I mean, he has his hands on some kind of controls. As I said before, when I first saw the series, at this point, I did think that maybe the Eva was piloted at least partially with these handgrips.

Shin-seiki theorizes about what the hand levers may really be for in the OP commentary. A similar idea is presented in one of the manga dossiers, as well.

211 - This was a very interesting point for me. The pilot feels the damage to their Eva, as though it were to themseves? Sure, it seems obvious now, but it was the beginning of understand how the Eva works, when I first saw the series.

A while back, I remember seeing a post about why it is necessary for the pilots to feel the Evas' pain... (One of many previously written things I would love to dig up.) It was something to the effect of how critical the senses of touch and pressure are to being able to adequately control one's body, and pain is really just an extension of this -- it lets you know if you're doing something wrong, or if something bad is being done to your body by an external force. Without these senses intact, it would be like trying to move around with your sensory nerves completely anaesthitized -- and, for me at least, trying to walk when one of my feet has fallen asleep is difficult enough!

023 - Can't recall if someone else commented this, but... Don't the committee members understand that Ikari had no choice? It's not like it was nepotism, there was a lack of candidates.

Some folks suggested that the committee members who griped about this don't really have any idea what's going on or how pilots are selected... I suppose for some of them, these sorts of technicalities aren't the sorts of things they worry about.

Besides, if they are gonna complain, what about who he gave unit 0 to? :-D

But it's more fun for them to take direct stabs at Ikari by complaining about his son. To them, I suppose Rei is just some anonymous nobody (which, considering she has no legal past, she is in a sense).

031 - Pointless comment, but... I do love this shot! No matter how many times they recycled it.

It's pretty much a visual icon by this point, isn't it? Image

073 - Reichu: Why is your comment about the 'irony bomb' not here? It's a good point...? Just not had time yet?

That was Shin-seiki (although I suppose at times the line between us might seem to blur Image ). As I mentioned earlier, I will incorporate all of the comments later on, when I have a nice chunk of free time, as opposed to "twenty minutes here and there".

299 - Again, slightly pointless, but I can't help but be reminded of the opening scenes of 2001 - A Space Oddysee when I see this bit. :-)

Perhaps I ought to actually watch that movie sometime...

321 - 324 - If the cameras that Shinji/the pilot sees through are on the 'helmet' then what is he using to see with now? The 'helmet' is on the damn floor next to him. I'm sure there's an explanation, but for the life of me I can't see it.

Like I said, that scene is one huge technical problem! Maybe that's why Sadamoto didn't include it in the manga...

Originally posted on: 16-Sep-2004, 13:20 GMT

Soluzar [ANF]
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Soluzar [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 12:35 pm

Reichu wrote:..."OTT"?

Over The Top. If she really were wearing just the shoulder towel, and not the larger body towel. hehehe! It almost looks that way in the bad light.

Reichu wrote:Shin-seiki theorizes about what the hand levers may really be for in the OP commentary. A similar idea is presented in one of the manga dossiers, as well.

This fascinates me. Always has. I suppose that it's still possible that the theory about the 'non-organic' parts of Eva having controls on those hand-grips could be true.

Reichu wrote:A while back, I remember seeing a post about why it is necessary for the pilots to feel the Evas' pain... (One of many previously written things I would love to dig up.) It was something to the effect of how critical the senses of touch and pressure are to being able to adequately control one's body, and pain is really just an extension of this -- it lets you know if you're doing something wrong, or if something bad is being done to your body by an external force. Without these senses intact, it would be like trying to move around with your sensory nerves completely anaesthitized -- and, for me at least, trying to walk when one of my feet has fallen asleep is difficult enough!

Now that you've said it, it makes perfect sense. I hope you decide to shove in some version of what you just said in this cut's commentary.

Reichu wrote:That was Shin-seiki (although I suppose at times the line between us might seem to blur Image ). As I mentioned earlier, I will incorporate all of the comments later on, when I have a nice chunk of free time, as opposed to "twenty minutes here and there".

I'm very sorry to both of you. I genuinely thought that was your comment. That'll teach me to pay more attention to who posts what... I did not mean to be rude by the way, I know from what you've said how busy you are. I Just thought that if it was your comment, then you would have put it in when you did the rest of your comments.

Originally posted on: 16-Sep-2004, 16:23 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Soluzar wrote:This fascinates me. Always has. I suppose that it's still possible that the theory about the 'non-organic' parts of Eva having controls on those hand-grips could be true.

I can't imagine how else they could be operated!

Shinji (thinking): Okay, so, if I walk by thinking about it, does that mean I can...? (thinks about the left shoulder pylon opening) Well, okay, that doesn't work. Maybe if I...
(out loud) Left shoulder pylon, open says me!
(thinking) Okay, that doesn't work either... Okay, so maybe if I...
(EVA-01's right hand starts trying to pull the pylon open)
Ritsuko (radio): Shinji-kun, what the hell are you doing?
Shinji (whining): Akagi-san...! I can't get my prog knife!!! Shouldn't I be able to get it just by thinking about it?
Ritsuko (radio): ... That's confidential information. But you might want to try the switch.
Shinji: H-hai...

Now that you've said it, it makes perfect sense. I hope you decide to shove in some version of what you just said in this cut's commentary.

Guess if I can't find the original source of the idea, I might as well.

I'm very sorry to both of you. I genuinely thought that was your comment. That'll teach me to pay more attention to who posts what... I did not mean to be rude by the way, I know from what you've said how busy you are. I Just thought that if it was your comment, then you would have put it in when you did the rest of your comments.

Heh, don't worry about it. Your post didn't bother me any.

For parts 1~5, I just posted most of my comments in the thread, since I thought of them after I uploaded the commentary pages. Parts 6~8 already have comments on them because I thought of them while I was working on the pages. Makes sense, I guess...

Originally posted on: 16-Sep-2004, 16:53 GMT

Keisuke-kun [ANF]
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Keisuke-kun [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 12:35 pm

143: This is the first of two scene where we see pen[super]2[/super] in this position.

155: I love the use of the word scuttle. But seriously he couldn't have been so shocked taht he forgot he was naked. Could he have?

156: Damn...ADV's translation was really off...

159: In anime peoples bodies always look like that in water...for some reason. And does that flashback hint that he actually made the association between Rei and the women he saw appear on the street? Realizing something like that would really freak me out.

161: Could this be a jumbo version of the termination plug? And just what the hell is the termination plug for? Can we assume that if the entry hole isn't constantly filled it will close up like a wound? Regenerate? Has this ever even been speculated on?

164: I wonder what the point of the lights on the forearms and sholders is. Why do they need lights to indicate that one units is a test model while another is a prototype? Why cant they just save money and paint it?

165: Japanese have a habit of taking one or more sylables off a name and adding chan. Like a girl in my school; Nakano-san is nacchan.

170: "All the horrible stuff?" Come on he didn't go through that much. Not compared to later at least.

172: The faucet looks like a cheesy attempt to distract you from Misatos breasts.

176: (to reichu) Natural as opposed to bra stuffing?

180: I don't get. How is a number missing?

182 F: Looks like hair to me.

244: I always got the impression that the magi freak out when something goes wrong "OH GOD AN EMERGENCY!!! THE COFFEE SPILLED ON THE KEYBOARD LEV 1 ALERT STATUS AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!" Naoko seems a bit excitible and over-reacts.

246: Makes it sound like his head is exploding doesn't it.

248: GLITCH!! Well not much. One of the numbers kinda forgets to turn off before the connection seperates.

250: Jesus H christ. All this trouble cause of a hole in EVA-01's head?

252: What the hell is she turning to Misato for. If anything Misato should say "You helped build this crap now why isn't it working?!"

254: No Ibuki. It isn't completley out of control yet

258A: When could They control the eva from the command center (before the dummy plug that is.)

260: NOWWW its completley out of control.

262: I disagree. I believe if everything is in proportion the the eva can move just like a human. That is if and eva is 20 times taller (Manga says Eva's are 40 meters tall) that a human and its weight and muscle and bone strength were in the same proportion it would all work fine. But I thing the Eva's strenghth is way stonger than that lanky form suggests.

267: I never really noticed Eva's recycling. I guess if you compare its recycling to Gundam Wing (good show nonetheless) Eva's recycling is nonexistant.

271: I find that fact that her arm isn't wobling like when it was broken very weird. She seemed to be using them fine before. Its almost as if she just wants to look good for her grand finale.

288: I always got the impression of "Eye for an eye" So Eva-01 is breaking Sachi's arms for breaking hers. I suspect tearing off half of sachis face was teh "for my eye" bit.

289: Those muscle probably formed while he was trying to resist Eva-01's arm breaking attack.

292: Very strange way to run. But leave it to anime to get strange running/standing positions and make them look cool. On a note its almost as if Eva-01 is running with the aim to spear Sachiel with her horn.

292: Since when do buildings slide?

296: Is sachiels core kinda stretchy? It seems to turn into an oval while 01 punches it.

299: A berserk Eva never seem to bother with the prog knife. Just picking up some random weapon is fine. Like a caveman (or woman to keep thing PC)

300B: How so? Only thing I see is maybe an Evangelistic Evangelion trying to kill a vampire with a hard chest. Wheres the PRS?

303: Hey Reichu. Ever think of drawing Sachiel tentical raping Eva-01?
Maybe Sachiel is smart enough to know taht to do the most damage he should put his core as close as possible to Eva-01.

311: And putting many people out of house an home.

315: Maybe they just wanted to say something cool that wouldn't "spoil the moment."

317: Whats with her head? She looks like some kinda monkey with her head and shoulders like that.

318: "WTF just happened?"

324: Interesting how there are pipes going into EVA-01's head. What are they for?

328: I never noticed the vagina thing here. I did notice it in EoE though.

332: They turn up later? When?

Originally posted on: 17-Sep-2004, 13:51 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Keisuke-kun wrote:143: This is the first of two scene where we see pen[super]2[/super] in this position.

Yeah, just think about it... He's the ideal height for -- nevermind.

155: I love the use of the word scuttle.

Heh, that's me taking liberties right there... In the script, it says オスオスと去るシンジ. I think osu-osu to saru just means "leave" or "go away", not "scuttle away", but who cares? Image

156: Damn...ADV's translation was really off...

Actually, I think I stole their most recent attempt (Platinum) verbatim there!

And does that flashback hint that he actually made the association between Rei and the women he saw appear on the street? Realizing something like that would really freak me out.

As wayneiac pointed out, Shinji doesn't seem to react to things the way a normal human being would -- for example, being more frightened of a 4-foot penguin than a 50-meter green humanoid monster. Regardless, he does seem to have made the Girl on Street = Rei connection, on some level anyway.

161: Could this be a jumbo version of the termination plug?

It IS the termination signal plug. We see the same thing being pulled out of EVA-01 by Gendou and company in episode #12 (it's just harder to see because everything's so dark). Granted, we don't see them any other time, even when we KNOW that there was a termination signal plug present (episode #01; they later announce the plug's removal), so I'm not sure what the dealio is....

And just what the hell is the termination plug for? Can we assume that if the entry hole isn't constantly filled it will close up like a wound? Regenerate? Has this ever even been speculated on?

I'm pretty sure that there has to be some kind of internal cyborg-ish implant to receive the entry plug, an artificial cavity of sorts, and that they don't just stick it straight into the Eva's raw thoracic cavity. Probably, the actual purpose of the plug is to serve as a stopper, to prevent the gap in the Eva's spinal column from being bridged by the Eva herself. Granted, there seem to be ways around this, but no system is perfect.

164: I wonder what the point of the lights on the forearms and sholders is. Why do they need lights to indicate that one units is a test model while another is a prototype? Why cant they just save money and paint it?

I think the only time that the type on the forearms and deltoids is portrayed as something that lights up is during EVA-00's little experiments (just the first one, or both?), evidently serving to indicate that external power has been received by the arms. Aside from that, the artists seem to treat them as something that's "painted on" (and present regardless of whether or not the Eva is active). Except, for the obvious reason of simplifying the animation process, they don't bother depicting them unless they're dealing with an essentially static scene.

176: (to reichu) Natural as opposed to bra stuffing?

No, as opposed to silicon. Image Breasts augmented this way apparently float in water (fat floats, but not like this!), which you can see in "Austin Powers" when Alotta Fagina gets in the hot tub with Austin...

180: I don't get. How is a number missing?

That cut (180) didn't make it into the final production. Ergo, it is a missing number.

182 F: Looks like hair to me.

That actually reminds me more of neurons under a microscope... Perhaps I should look into that more.

248: GLITCH!! Well not much. One of the numbers kinda forgets to turn off before the connection seperates.

Yeah, I think I know what you're referring to. ;;>

252: What the hell is she turning to Misato for. If anything Misato should say "You helped build this crap now why isn't it working?!"

I always thought Ritsuko's behavior here was a little odd, too.

258A: When could They control the eva from the command center (before the dummy plug that is.)

They're afforded some degree of control, at least -- the ability to jetison the entry plug and the concentric plug, for example.

262: I disagree. I believe if everything is in proportion the the eva can move just like a human. That is if and eva is 20 times taller (Manga says Eva's are 40 meters tall) that a human and its weight and muscle and bone strength were in the same proportion it would all work fine. But I thing the Eva's strenghth is way stonger than that lanky form suggests.

I got a little over 50 meters when I measured EVA-01 using Misato...

Now, I don't know much about engineering, but it is my understanding that one cannot simply magnify a smaller organism and expect it to still work. Larger animals, by their very nature, cannot be built the same as smaller ones; they become very specialized to be able to bear their increased mass (sauropod dinosaurs, being the largest land animals evar, are a case-in-point example of this). I once read that exoskeletal organisms (you know... bugs) cannot get larger than a certain size due to the weight-bearing limitations of an exoskeleton -- which makes all of those giant bug flicks even more of a croc than they already are. Image Unless you live in a medium like water that reduces the stress of weight on your system or you live in a lower-gravity environment, your body must be structured to contend with your own weight.

Realistically speaking, humanoids as ridiculously ginormous as the Evas should not be able to function, so matter how well they are put together. Perhaps the fact that they are made out of an alternate form of matter (apparently) is used to justify their existence, but ultimately the fact that this is fiction is justification enough.

Originally posted on: 17-Sep-2004, 14:58 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 12:36 pm

271: I find that fact that her arm isn't wobling like when it was broken very weird. She seemed to be using them fine before. Its almost as if she just wants to look good for her grand finale.

"Them"? In any case, while they weren't especially consistent about depicting her broken arm, they were pretty consistent about her doing absolutely nothing with it until she repairs it -- it's just kind of dangling.

288: I always got the impression of "Eye for an eye" So Eva-01 is breaking Sachi's arms for breaking hers. I suspect tearing off half of sachis face was teh "for my eye" bit.

Poke head in head --> Rip off half of face
Break forearm --> Rip off both hands

It's not QUITE the same...

And how is THIS "eye for an eye"? Image

292: Very strange way to run. But leave it to anime to get strange running/standing positions and make them look cool. On a note its almost as if Eva-01 is running with the aim to spear Sachiel with her horn.

Actually, if you notice, she turns her head to the side right before she hits him. I think she was just going for a head-butt there, not to impale him.

292: Since when do buildings slide?

When it makes an action scene look cooler! But seriously, I have no idea. The ceiling buildings certainly don't have this feature built into them, as they're built solely to go up and down...

296: Is sachiels core kinda stretchy? It seems to turn into an oval while 01 punches it.

The camera is in a static position superior to Sachiel's core... I think we're just seeing his chest get thrown to one side or the other, and his core moving with it.

299: A berserk Eva never seem to bother with the prog knife. Just picking up some random weapon is fine. Like a caveman (or woman to keep thing PC)

I posted a theory on this earlier, that the Evas themselves can't access their weapons because the pylons aren't part of their bodies. The pilots, in the cockpits, would be able to access these solely mechanical systems, however.

300B: How so? Only thing I see is maybe an Evangelistic Evangelion trying to kill a vampire with a hard chest. Wheres the PRS?

Something about "pierching the Angel's soul with a rib"... It was mentioned in the evil AWL commentary, and there was a thread about it on that OTHER forum where they really looked into it way too much. I ought to find it...

303: Hey Reichu. Ever think of drawing Sachiel tentical raping Eva-01?

Uhhh... Want to pay me? Image Just kidding... I might have to cook one up and submit it into the hentai section of the artist gallery for next Otakon; you never know who might dig that sort of thing...

Maybe Sachiel is smart enough to know taht to do the most damage he should put his core as close as possible to Eva-01.

If he was REALLY smart, he would've shoved his core against HER core and not her head. Ah, well, being on the brink of death leads to a lack of good judgment, I suppose.

324: Interesting how there are pipes going into EVA-01's head. What are they for?

They probably monitor the Eva's brain to some extent. Least, that's the best I can come up with.

328: I never noticed the vagina thing here. I did notice it in EoE though.

With EVA-02, GNR, or both?

332: They turn up later? When?

When EVA-01 punches EVA-03's head apart in #18, one of the eyeballs that flies out has the three auxillary pupils dilated. Also, we can see them on Kyoko-sama after the harpies have dismembered her...

Originally posted on: 17-Sep-2004, 15:22 GMT

Shin-seiki [ANF]
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby Shin-seiki [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 12:36 pm

Reichu wrote:Now, I don't know much about engineering, but it is my understanding that one cannot simply magnify a smaller organism and expect it to still work. Larger animals, by their very nature, cannot be built the same as smaller ones; they become very specialized to be able to bear their increased mass (sauropod dinosaurs, being the largest land animals evar, are a case-in-point example of this). I once read that exoskeletal organisms (you know... bugs) cannot get larger than a certain size due to the weight-bearing limitations of an exoskeleton -- which makes all of those giant bug flicks even more of a croc than they already are. Image Unless you live in a medium like water that reduces the stress of weight on your system or you live in a lower-gravity environment, your body must be structured to contend with your own weight.

Realistically speaking, humanoids as ridiculously ginormous as the Evas should not be able to function, so matter how well they are put together. Perhaps the fact that they are made out of an alternate form of matter (apparently) is used to justify their existence, but ultimately the fact that this is fiction is justification enough.

This involves what is known as the "square/cube" law: if you increase the size of an object that retains its shape and proportions, its surface area will increase as a function of the square of the size increase, while the volume (and thus the mass) will be cubed. Thus if you doubled the size of a man, his surface area (for example, the size of the soles of his feet that would be bearing his increased weight, or the cross-section of the bones in his legs) would be x2 squared (= x4), while his weight would be x2 cubed (= x8). This puts a practical limit on the size of terrestrial life that makes a creature the size of, say, King Kong, a bio-physical impossibility...

Originally posted on: 17-Sep-2004, 15:27 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 12:36 pm

Shin-seiki wrote:This involves what is known as the "square/cube" law: if you increase the size of an object that retains its shape and proportions, its surface area will increase as a function of the square of the size increase, while the volume (and thus the mass) will be cubed. Thus if you doubled the size of a man, his surface area (for example, the size of the soles of his feet that would be bearing his increased weight, or the cross-section of the bones in his legs) would be x2 squared (= x4), while his weight would be x2 cubed (= x8). This puts a practical limit on the size of terrestrial life that makes a creature the size of, say, King Kong, a bio-physical impossibility...

Thanks for clearing that up. BTW, are you going to add more commentary one of these days? Image

BTW, instead of working on much more important things, I was reading through some of the crap at EvaOtaku's site, and this bit from the Tsurumaki interview might be worth quoting in part for ep #02:

-- In the end, Evangelion was a story about communication -- at least judging from that last scene.
KT - That was the intent from the start of the TV series. That was what I tried to produce from episode 2 onward.

-- Yes, that was the scene where Misato and Shinji talk while measuring distances from each other in Misato's apartment, right? Although they appeared to be getting along fine with each other, Shinji was thinking, "She seems okay, but....", while Misato was thinking "I wonder if he sees through me?"
KT - there were other scenes in episode 2 as well. For instance, when Misato talks to Shinji but doesn't enter his room. Even in episode 3, they are having a casual morning conversation, but are not looking at each other. Like they looking through a slightly opened door, but not connecting. This is the same between Shinji and Rei, and between Shinji and his father. It's no wonder there was a lot of distant, awkward communication.

-- I see. So, the theme remained the same throughout the series?
KT - That's right.

Originally posted on: 17-Sep-2004, 16:42 GMT

Return to “AnimeNation Archive”