What anime are you watching right now? May07-Feb10

Old sticky threads from different subfora are preserved here for easy reference

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

BrikHaus
Dokutah Tenma
Dokutah Tenma

Postby BrikHaus » Fri Nov 09, 2007 11:43 pm

Gundam will never die. Not as long as it is profitable, anyway.
Awesomely Shitty
-"That purace has more badassu maddafaakas zan supermax spaceland."
-On EMF, as a thread becomes longer, the likelihood that fem-Kaworu will be mentioned increases exponentially.
-the only English language novel actually being developed in parallel to its Japanese version involving a pan-human Soviet in a galactic struggle to survive and to export the communist utopia/revolution to all the down trodden alien class and race- one of the premise being that Khrushchev remains and has abandoned Lysenko stupidity

Squiggy
Lilith

Postby Squiggy » Fri Nov 09, 2007 11:46 pm

BrikHaus wrote:Gundam will never die. Not as long as it is profitable, anyway.

Sounds strangely familiar
Don't like Eva?

What's the matter, too DEEP for you?

Jay911
Lilith

Postby Jay911 » Sat Nov 10, 2007 12:10 am

Squiggy wrote:
BrikHaus wrote:Gundam will never die. Not as long as it is profitable, anyway.

Sounds strangely familiar

"Long after the Earth, the Sun, and everything else dies, so long as one human otaku remains, it will be forever proof that Eva Store is needed."

Ne?
--j.

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Sat Nov 10, 2007 12:17 am

I just started Paranoia Agent. On ep. 5 right now, but I'll have to wait until Monday to get the next Netflix. Pretty intriguing so far. Good characterization, animation, and design. It's one of the few animes I've seen that actually draws characters to look Japanese (well, some of them).
Cinelogue & Forced Perspective Cinema
^ Writing as Jonathan Henderson ^
We're all adrift on the stormy seas of Evangelion, desperately trying to gather what flotsam can be snatched from the gale into a somewhat seaworthy interpretation so that we can at last reach the shores of reason and respite. - ObsessiveMathsFreak
Jimbo has posted enough to be considered greater than or equal to everyone, and or synonymous with the concept of 'everyone'. - Muggy
I've seen so many changeful years, / to Earth I am a stranger grown: / I wander in the ways of men, / alike unknowing and unknown: / Unheard, unpitied, unrelieved, / I bear alone my load of care; / For silent, low, on beds of dust, / Lie all that would my sorrows share. - Robert Burns' Lament for James

chee
EGF Hate Machine
EGF Hate Machine

Postby chee » Sat Nov 10, 2007 12:19 pm

Eva Yojimbo wrote:I just started Paranoia Agent. On ep. 5 right now, but I'll have to wait until Monday to get the next Netflix. Pretty intriguing so far. Good characterization, animation, and design. It's one of the few animes I've seen that actually draws characters to look Japanese (well, some of them).

Keep watching. It gets even better.

THE Hal E. Burton 9000
Elder God
Elder God

Postby THE Hal E. Burton 9000 » Sat Nov 10, 2007 12:26 pm

Paranoia Agent was pretty good.

It got too weird for me though.
- TEH Fabulous Hal E. Burton 9000

P.S. For those wanting to discuss a matter with yours truly not pertaining to the general topic at hand, PM me. Please and thank you.

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Sat Nov 10, 2007 9:05 pm

When you're watching a show about a kid on skates that goes around whacking troubled souls with a metal bat, I think you should be prepared for it to descend into weirdness.
We're all adrift on the stormy seas of Evangelion, desperately trying to gather what flotsam can be snatched from the gale into a somewhat seaworthy interpretation so that we can at last reach the shores of reason and respite. - ObsessiveMathsFreak
Jimbo has posted enough to be considered greater than or equal to everyone, and or synonymous with the concept of 'everyone'. - Muggy
I've seen so many changeful years, / to Earth I am a stranger grown: / I wander in the ways of men, / alike unknowing and unknown: / Unheard, unpitied, unrelieved, / I bear alone my load of care; / For silent, low, on beds of dust, / Lie all that would my sorrows share. - Robert Burns' Lament for James

THE Hal E. Burton 9000
Elder God
Elder God

Postby THE Hal E. Burton 9000 » Sat Nov 10, 2007 9:29 pm

Sure.

But when the weirdness has no reason behind it and decides to be increasingly weird just for the sake of being weird, I lose interest very quickly.

Same thing could have been said for The X-Files IMO.

P.S. For those wanting to discuss a matter with yours truly not pertaining to the general topic at hand, PM me. Please and thank you.

BrikHaus
Dokutah Tenma
Dokutah Tenma

Postby BrikHaus » Sat Nov 10, 2007 10:19 pm

THE Hal E. Burton 9000 wrote:But when the weirdness has no reason behind it and decides to be increasingly weird just for the sake of being weird, I lose interest very quickly.

You know what? Me, of all people, found there was usually something behind every attack in Paranoia Agent.
Awesomely Shitty
-"That purace has more badassu maddafaakas zan supermax spaceland."
-On EMF, as a thread becomes longer, the likelihood that fem-Kaworu will be mentioned increases exponentially.
-the only English language novel actually being developed in parallel to its Japanese version involving a pan-human Soviet in a galactic struggle to survive and to export the communist utopia/revolution to all the down trodden alien class and race- one of the premise being that Khrushchev remains and has abandoned Lysenko stupidity

Omegagouki
Shikigami of the Castle
Shikigami of the Castle

Postby Omegagouki » Sat Nov 10, 2007 11:54 pm

Still watching Higurashi... I've finished the Question arcs now... I'll be showing my distinction soon enough. :twisted:
PSN/Steam: Zentillion | Tum8lr
8luh 8luh
Sill (and always) promoting Homestuck

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mr. Tines » Sun Nov 11, 2007 3:29 am

http://evageeks.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=130860#130860

Kaiji and Higurashi Kai have, along with Baccano!, I think, become archive, maybe watch sometime. Shugo Chara might be in that category, too.

So, of currently airing, it's Dennou Coil, Ghost Hound (so far, not as good as it might be), Moyashimon (better than it has any right to be), and Blue Drop.

In the background - GitS:SAC 2nd Gig, StrikerS rewatch
Last edited by Mr. Tines on Sun Nov 11, 2007 7:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Alaska Slim
Frigus Ignoramus
Frigus Ignoramus

Postby Alaska Slim » Sun Nov 11, 2007 3:56 am

Eva Yojimbo wrote:When you're watching a show about a kid on skates that goes around whacking troubled souls with a metal bat, I think you should be prepared for it to descend into weirdness.

Not to mention when it's theme is about 'Wonderous mushroom clouds'.

"All around the mulberry bush my partner chased the looney, I don't know what the hell I'm doing here... hey, why are we here?" Image
"Therefore encourage one another and build one another up, just as you are doing." - 1 Thessalonians 5:11

"It is one of the blessings of old friends that you can afford to be stupid with them." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

"God is in his Heaven, and free men walk upon the Earth" - Rev. Robert Sirico, President of the Acton Institute

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mr. Tines » Sun Nov 11, 2007 6:46 am

Just watched the SimounFans release of Blue Drop 1 -- watch Genjo's, archive these.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Sheer Heart Attack
Embryo

Postby Sheer Heart Attack » Sun Nov 11, 2007 7:20 am

Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann, for whatever reason. On episode five; enjoying it so far.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mr. Tines » Sun Nov 25, 2007 3:35 am

http://evageeks.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=135092#135092

Finished GitS:SAC 2nd Gig -- much more a Bruce Willis style thriller than the previous series, and such an odd relationship with the manga : it ends at the manga's [chapter 2] opening scene, having in episodes 20-21 sort-of used the scenery from the Phantom Fund chapter.

Nothing new to add.

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Sun Nov 25, 2007 4:17 am

Just finished Paranoia Agent and loved it! I already want to see it again. I especially love the character designs which are much more "human" than most animes which draw characters more like dolls. {SPOILERS}
SPOILER: Show
But I thought the end with Tsukiko confronting her past with Maromi and Shounen Bat was excellent. I especially love Shounen Bat saying "Sayonara" before its shadow faded. That was a wonderful touch.
{/SPOILERS}

Now I'm going to start Planetes. :)

Opteron-O3
Tabris
Tabris

Postby Opteron-O3 » Tue Nov 27, 2007 5:58 pm

Finally got around to watching FLCL, very entertaining series! :wink:
"The fate of destruction is also the joy of rebirth"
"The need is the justification, there are no other factors to consider."- Gendo Ikari

Myspace: http://www.myspace.com/willaym
Website to my NGE Essay: http://opteron-o3.angelfire.com/index.html

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Tue Nov 27, 2007 6:10 pm

Opteron-O3 wrote:Finally got around to watching FLCL, very entertaining series! :wink:
It took me about 4 viewings to start to get a handle on everything that happens in that series. I also really enjoy both the dub and sub. I'd say they were equals if the dub doesn't loose so many of the sub jokes that only work if you know Japanese.

THE Hal E. Burton 9000
Elder God
Elder God

Postby THE Hal E. Burton 9000 » Tue Nov 27, 2007 6:46 pm

I might have said this before

but the opening scenes of episode 5 are some of the funniest things I've ever seen and the hardest I have ever laughed

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Tue Nov 27, 2007 7:42 pm

As much as I praise NGE's craftsmanship, FlCl equals it in many cases. God, that scene of Naoto flying towards Ninamori and that Matrix-esque spinning around them making you think he's going to fly into her lips-to-lips and kiss her before they crash into each other is priceless!

Return to “Old Stickies”