Do Evangelions have an innate personallity?

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
evilhead008
Adam

Do Evangelions have an innate personallity?

•      
  •      

Postby evilhead008 » Tue Jan 08, 2008 9:12 pm

Specifically, this question came out of the blue...

We know the souls inside each Eva...

00: Rei I
01: Yui-sama
02: Kyoko (all of it by EoE)
03: Toji's mom
04: N/A
05-13: N/A

But specifically for Units 00-02...

When each unit goes Berserk or "out of control," or even wiith the pilots in control, what happens?

In the manga, along with Yui's soul, we also see Unit-01 herself trying to contact Shinji; she is depicted as an unarmored, sometimes bleeding entity trailing wires and plugs.

I'm aware that its the resident soul inside that triggers the Berserker Mode, but is it actually Rei I/Yui/Kyoko that tear people apart and eat them?

Do they actually force the Eva to do all these things? Are Evangelions simply puppets, and without a human soul inside, incapable of doing anything and are nothing more than lumps of flesh?

If we assume that Rei I/Yui/Kyoko only trigger the Evangelion's animalistic instincts, it stands to reason that each Evangelion itself also has some kind of self-awareness, or at least consciousness when "awakened" by Rei I/Yui/Kyoko.

The instances:

Unit-00 going out of control, and punching windows and walls, followed by ramming its head against the wall. Rei I seems to be in full control during this.

Battle VS. Sachiel: Yui re-activates the Eva, but does she do the fighting?

Battle VS Leleil: Yui re-activates the Eva and saves Shinji, but does she actually rip Leleil apart?

Battle VS Zereul: Yui eats Zereul?

Battle VS Arael: Is Unit-02 or Kyoko actually harmed?

Battle VS Arimsael: Does the Eva herself actually feel the pain?

Battle VS Harpies: Is it Kyoko, Asuka, or the Evangelion yelling at the JSSDF/UN? When Unit-02 is fighting, does it simply speak what she says in grunts, or is it Kyoko repeating it through the Eva? Does the Eva talk? When she re-activates and her eyes start glowing, is this Kyoko, or is it Unit-02 herself?

Please discuss.

UrsusArctos
The Beginning and The End
The Beginning and The End

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Tue Jan 08, 2008 9:20 pm

In all these cases of Evas ripping apart or eating things, the resident soul is in full control. Kyoko and Asuka had reached an unprecedented synch ratio between themselves, which is why mother and daughter vocalized at the same time.
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
Not knowing that Monk is bi is like not knowing the Pope is Catholic - ZapX
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

Defectron
Tentacle Girl
Tentacle Girl

•      
  •      

Postby Defectron » Tue Jan 08, 2008 11:15 pm

The reason the evas act all animalistic is because the souls have been stuck inside those things so long. If your soul was stuck inside a giant robot looking thing for years you'd probably go nuts the first chance you got to do things on your own too!
Parasite Galaxy: An experimental webcomic

http://www.parasitegalaxy.com/ Updates Monday and Thursday. Vote for me on top webcomics

If you want to support this comic buy something from me on amazon

The Imperialist
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby The Imperialist » Wed Jan 09, 2008 3:31 am

I think there is a personality INSIDE them, not necessarily veiwable from outside.
I feel old

Zuggy
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Zuggy » Wed Jan 09, 2008 11:08 am

evilhead008 wrote:We know the souls inside each Eva...

We don't know that Rei I's soul is in Eva-00.

evilhead008 wrote:I'm aware that its the resident soul inside that triggers the Berserker Mode, but is it actually Rei I/Yui/Kyoko that tear people apart and eat them?

When the dummy plug is activated it has the same effects, and that's from Rei's personality transfer - what I reckon is when the Eva goes berserk only the neural connections from the lower brain are open so the Evas are animalistic (sort of like that drug in Jacob's Ladder) - but saying that when Eva-01 goes berserk in the very first episode to protect Shinji it's a very precise and careful movement, so um, I dunno.

Shin-seiki
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Shin-seiki » Wed Jan 09, 2008 11:53 am

Zugzwang wrote:
evilhead008 wrote:We know the souls inside each Eva...

We don't know that Rei I's soul is in Eva-00.
Actually, we do know that; you seem, amazingly enough, to have found some way to discount all the evidence that points that way ('Bug-eyed, floating head Rei' being identified as Rei 1 in #25 is particularly definitive), but most all of the rest of us understand that the issue is basically resolved, and carry on from there...

BobBQ
Dyskolos
Dyskolos

•      
  •      

Postby BobBQ » Wed Jan 09, 2008 12:16 pm

Shin-seiki wrote:('Bug-eyed, floating head Rei' being identified as Rei 1 in #25 is particularly definitive)

Stock footage much?

Not that the hive mind cares what I think.

Zuggy
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Zuggy » Wed Jan 09, 2008 12:31 pm

Shin-seiki wrote:Actually, we do know that; you seem, amazingly enough, to have found some way to discount all the evidence that points that way ('Bug-eyed, floating head Rei' being identified as Rei 1 in #25 is particularly definitive), but most all of the rest of us understand that the issue is basically resolved, and carry on from there...

This is taking place during the interchangeability tests, where Rei is in Eva-01 and Shinji is in Eva-00 - during episode #14.

Shinji sees Rei while in Eva-00 - using your logic this means that one of the Rei's souls is in Eva-00, fair enough.

Now apply that logic to what Rei sees while in Eva-01 just before, Rei sees herself, Shinji, Misato, Ritsuko, Toji, Kensuke, Asuka, and Gendo, amongst all kinds of other imagery - does that mean all those folk's souls are in Eva-01? No.

As I've said before, both pilots are merely coming into contact with the impressions inside each Eva, NOT the resident souls - also, the imagery of "bug-eyed Rei" doesn't match up with when Shinji or Asuka come into actual contact with the souls in their Evas at all.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Wed Jan 09, 2008 12:39 pm

If we're going to rehash the Eva-00 debate, please bump one of the older threads.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

evilhead008
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby evilhead008 » Wed Jan 09, 2008 4:37 pm

Fine,

WHATEVER SOUL IS INSIDE UNIT-00.

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”