"Glasses Girl" (Mari) speculation/discussion

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
NAveryW
Insect Politician
Insect Politician

Postby NAveryW » Tue Feb 05, 2008 6:31 pm

Mayumi has that mole that GG doesn't have, but other than that, I'd say they look rather similar. Then again, I've never been good with faces.

I also don't think that either Maya or Mayumi were created by Sadamoto or Anno. Perhaps the character design was by Sadamoto, but the character concept, etc. almost certainly was by someone only involved for purposes of the game. Either that or Yamashita was involved.
"Today?... hmm... today... right... Um... I'm just gonna wing it." -Guess who

UrsusArctos
The Beginning and The End

Postby UrsusArctos » Tue Feb 05, 2008 7:40 pm

Like he says, Mana and Mayumi are non-canonical.
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
Not knowing that Monk is bi is like not knowing the Pope is Catholic - ZapX
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Postby Reichu » Wed Feb 06, 2008 3:43 am

Post from Rebuild 2.0:angels that I couldn't split out:

fadingreminder
Thu Jan 31, 2008 2:45 pm

Sailor Star Dust wrote:My thought process was like this:

Glasses Girl Mayumi from 2nd Impression game=Really an (game created) Angel

A NEW Glasses Girl=Yet another SoL like Adam and Lilith, seeing the possibility of a three-way mixup what with the Moon Giant and the funny looking with a mask Lilith.

I just saw Rebuild last night for the first time, I had the same thought about Glasses Girl... I made the same connection in regards to 2nd Impression, probably in some crazy hopes that Mana would make some kind of appearance in Rebuild (mwahaha....).
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

UrsusArctos

Postby UrsusArctos » Wed Feb 06, 2008 3:51 am

Mana alone is why my "Ambassador to the Angels" fell apart. I had no idea she was that big a turnoff. Anno would probably keep her out to prevent a fan backlash.
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Wed Feb 06, 2008 4:38 pm

I don't have that much of a problem with Mana or Mayumi, one being a Mary-Sue and the other being a female-Shinji (Waaait a minute....) aside, but having a brand new character is the way to go.

Provided there isn't a fan backlash for HER. :sweatdrop:
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Xard
Banned

Postby Xard » Wed Feb 06, 2008 4:45 pm

I still think it might've been grave error to bring in new character - well, actually it wouldn't be such a problem if it would've been anything but another pilot. Girl. With glasses.

Damn GAINAX, moes and whole industry

And if GG turns out to be Mayumi 2.0 I don't know what I'll do. Propably hurt myself. :ehh:

AchtungAffen
Banned

Postby AchtungAffen » Thu Feb 07, 2008 11:59 am

Gainax dedicated itself to animé where 17 y/o girls are "cursed" to have the body of a pre-adolescent girl. That's why this RoE is not made by Gainax, who is only listed as some sort of creator of franchise and in some animation role. Now, this New Eva done by Khara (not Gainax), features idols such as the Utada girl and Boys Bandz representing it throughout Asia. You can say, the Tiger never loses its stripes, even though it might change name and company.
"Oh, Constantine! To how many evils origin was given, not by your conversion to Christianity, but by the dowry which from you received the first Pope that was rich!" - Dante
How can you expect to live in a Republic when you don't care about the res-publica?
"The gun, in all its forms, was the epochal tool of white male supremacy, which is why it continues to have irrational appeal. As much as the jack-booted hate Jews and blacks, that much they love their guns." - James Carrol
My List @ AniDB

- Original activist against the lockers-that-be -

Themaninblack
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

Postby Themaninblack » Thu Feb 07, 2008 1:12 pm

AchtungAffen wrote:Gainax dedicated itself to animé where 17 y/o girls are "cursed" to have the body of a pre-adolescent girl. That's why this RoE is not made by Gainax, who is only listed as some sort of creator of franchise and in some animation role. Now, this New Eva done by Khara (not Gainax), features idols such as the Utada girl and Boys Bandz representing it throughout Asia. You can say, the Tiger never loses its stripes, even though it might change name and company.

.... :???:
I won.

UrsusArctos

Postby UrsusArctos » Thu Feb 07, 2008 8:51 pm

What are you talking about, AA?

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Postby Reichu » Thu Feb 07, 2008 10:23 pm

Probably something to do with GG = moe and how that is symptomatic of Khara selling its soul just like Gainax did. I dunno, lol.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Skullraper
Tunniel
Tunniel

Postby Skullraper » Sat Feb 09, 2008 3:19 pm

Reichu wrote:Probably something to do with GG = moe and how that is symptomatic of Khara selling its soul just like Gainax did. I dunno, lol.

That, or the best Imperialist impression since “from my guru”.

What other role could GG possibly have if not a new pilot? She doesn’t look strange enough to be an angel (as in Rei or Kaworu). If she is a pilot then there are only two possible evas to consider. Maybe she was the planned pilot of Eva-04 until it malfunctioned and after that she was transferred to be the pilot of Eva-05. Maybe that’s why Eva-05 is “provisional”. A backup in case Eva-04 was lost during testing of the S^2.

I know it sounds mundane but I’d rather not get my hopes up for something enormous (like GG is actually an Adam/lilin+[god?]). Although that would be intriguing.
"Politicians should read science fiction, not westerns and detective stories." - Arthur C. Clarke

"Never let your sense of morals get in the way of doing what's right." - Isaac Asimov

Shin-seiki
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

Postby Shin-seiki » Sun Feb 10, 2008 4:53 pm

UrsusArctos wrote:What are you talking about, AA?
Petite Princess Yucie, that Gainax show about a 17y/o girl cursed with a permanent 10y/o body. Of course, TTLG has Yohko, a 14y/o with a figure that puts Misato to shame, so I wouldn't exactly call it some sort of trend with Gainax...

NAveryW
Insect Politician
Insect Politician

Postby NAveryW » Sun Feb 10, 2008 5:20 pm

From what I've seen, GAINAX tends to have more younger girls with mature bodies than adult girls with loli bodies. The epitome of this phenomenon is actually not Yoko from TTGL, but Sayoko from Melody of Oblivion.
"Today?... hmm... today... right... Um... I'm just gonna wing it." -Guess who

AchtungAffen
Banned

Postby AchtungAffen » Mon Feb 11, 2008 10:53 am

Youko a 14 y/o?? Never heard about that before, or did I miss something?
"Oh, Constantine! To how many evils origin was given, not by your conversion to Christianity, but by the dowry which from you received the first Pope that was rich!" - Dante
How can you expect to live in a Republic when you don't care about the res-publica?
"The gun, in all its forms, was the epochal tool of white male supremacy, which is why it continues to have irrational appeal. As much as the jack-booted hate Jews and blacks, that much they love their guns." - James Carrol
My List @ AniDB

AchtungAffen
Banned

Postby AchtungAffen » Fri Mar 21, 2008 12:41 pm

GG has a name

from the new puchi eva game.

マリ
My List @ AniDB

WES512
Adam

Postby WES512 » Fri Mar 21, 2008 2:52 pm

A slightly better image...

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Fri Mar 21, 2008 3:06 pm

Mari, huh? (Not sure if I want). Wonder if she'll be named after a ship with her last name, though?

Not that bad of a name or anything, but are you certain that's Glasses Girl? I believe you guys and all, but I'm just wondering if Gainax/Khara would do something weird like giving her a DIFFERENT name for Rebuild. Probably not since Eva@School and Rebuild are happening at the same time, but...

And is this some more Pointless Religious Symbolism I smell? Uh oh.

The other information: "A mysterious girl. ____ (can't read it) is possible. March 4th (Her birthday), (as well as her bloodtype or sign, not sure what)."
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Xard
Banned

Postby Xard » Fri Mar 21, 2008 3:18 pm

She's so going to give birth to an angel.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Postby Reichu » Fri Mar 21, 2008 3:21 pm

なまえ:
マリ

せつめい:
なぞの少女。 
えいが館で会えるかも…

ゲットしたところ:
3月 第4話  
公園

Name: Mari
Description: A mysterious girl. We may see her in theaters...
When & Where Obtained: March, Episode 4, The Park
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Furu
Adam

Postby Furu » Fri Mar 21, 2008 3:58 pm

Okay, yeah, that pretty sharply dispels any questions about who it might be.
Insert Block of Text here.

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”