a new manga about Hideaki Anno and his baby?

A forum for discussing the filmmakers and artists associated with Khara, Trigger, or Gainax, but apart from their studio projects.

Moderator: Board Staff

Carl Horn
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby Carl Horn » Mon Feb 21, 2005 3:18 am

Mr. Tines wrote:
DatDude wrote:Yuko weres that name from ?

Miyamura Yuko was Asuka's VA.

The story circulates that Anno was infatuated by her, but was rebuffed; hence some of the harsher Shinji (as Anno's SI)/Asuka parts of EoE.

Taking him to the airport after Fanime one year, I asked Hiroyuki Yamaga about Anno and Miyamura, whether it was true they were going out (which was the story I had heard--not the story that she rebuffed him). If you've ever seen THE CASTLE OF CAGLIOSTRO, he was kind of reclining back in the car seat at the time like Jigen was, just before they blew the tire. He sort of gave a "where'd you hear *that*?" response. Mr. Yamaga is usually not shy about gossiping about Anno, which leads me to believe either 1.) they were never going out (90% possibility) or 2.) they were but jealousy forebade him from confirming it (10% possibility).

Miyamura has called her playing Asuka "like a fight between a married couple," but she meant the couple being herself and her character: "It was Asuka who would never allow herself to synchronize with me. The last scene in THE END OF EVANGELION was done, and still she had never stepped across that line and come forward." In the back of Vol. 4 of the manga, she has some fascinating things to say about her time on EVA: "The mute plea of the character was amazingly loud; it was painful to portray her. I'd ask myself why it had to be so painful, and I would have no answer, and the pain would just grow more intense." It's quite possible that this struggle was interpreted instead as a struggle with Anno, which certainly made for jucier rumors. Nor was it all that far-fetched, as there was at times a great deal of tension within Gainax over the making of EVA.

Anno was also at one time romantically linked with Ayako Fujitani, whose novel "Shikijitsu" he, of course, adapted into film. They apparently first met when she was starring in the remakes of the GAMERA series (Yamaga claimed at one time the real reason Anno walked away from KARE KANO was because he was too busy editing his "making of GAMERA" documentary). Ms. Fujitani is, of course, also the daughter of Steven Seagal, making the rumored relationship not without great personal risk.

Yuko Miyamura and Ayako Fujitani were rumors; on the other hand, the actual marriage between Hideaki Anno and Moyoco Anno seems to have caught most people by surprise. There's a moral there somewhere ;-)

Carl Horn
Israfel
Israfel

Re: a new manga about Hideaki Anno and his baby?

•      
  •      

Postby Carl Horn » Mon Feb 21, 2005 3:35 am

Otaprince wrote:there's a new volume of manga out by Mayoco Anno called [buncha Kanji] (Negligent Supervision Report?). It seems to be about her husband, Eva creator Hideaki Anno, and the couple's new baby!

there are two 6-page chapters online for viewing here.

Info here and here. It seems that you can buy a special edition that comes with a keychain of Anno and baby.

maybe someday someone will translate this-- it may give us some unique insight into the personal life of Anno(s).

Actually, while it is of course quite possible that Anno^2 (as the Japanese media sometimes call them) have, or are having, a baby, this particular manga appears to be about Moyoco and Hideaki themselves. If you've read the English version of Anno's manga FLOWERS & BEES, this baby is exactly the way Anno portrays herself in the afterword section (which is a running joke about how Anno never finishes her afterwords).

--C.

P.S. It's probably a good idea to remind everyone at this point that Moyoco Anno was called that before she married Hideaki Anno; her "Anno" is spelled with a different kanji than his. In other words, they aren't cousins or anything ;-)

Otaprince
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Otaprince » Mon Feb 21, 2005 1:22 pm

wow, that's bizarre even for Gainax and manga... i know the Japanese have a thing with underrage girls, but this is just ridiculous!

Carl-- we want more Anno/Gainax gossip: it seems like the Japanese are intensely private in the media about mentioning things like girlfriends and wives, but i've always wondered about the better halves of Yamaga, Sadamoto, and the rest.

DatDude
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby DatDude » Mon Feb 21, 2005 7:36 pm

I think the comic seems funny if only i could get a traslation to be sure of its funny ness . . .. . .
There was an EVA Nerd here, but now he's gone.

lyricaldanichan
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby lyricaldanichan » Mon Feb 21, 2005 8:11 pm

It is called Supervisor Poor Service - 「監督不行届」 and it is 840Y or you can get the deluxe version for 1800Y (180 pages).

The baby is a character that Moyocco Anno draws in various mangas. You do see the omake in Flowers and Bees who apparenlty is suposed to be Moyocco.

Dunno if Studio ADTRW will translate this manga since they are allready doing Iron Maiden 2nd (Which the 4th volume just came out in jp).
Last edited by lyricaldanichan on Mon Feb 21, 2005 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Carl Horn
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby Carl Horn » Mon Feb 21, 2005 8:16 pm

Otaprince wrote:wow, that's bizarre even for Gainax and manga... i know the Japanese have a thing with underrage girls, but this is just ridiculous!

Carl-- we want more Anno/Gainax gossip: it seems like the Japanese are intensely private in the media about mentioning things like girlfriends and wives, but i've always wondered about the better halves of Yamaga, Sadamoto, and the rest.

Well, it's not like I hang out with them all the time...But Japan actually has a very active tabloid media. For a while in '97 and '98, Anno had a sort of rock star image (the scraggly hair and beard, shades or granny glasses, and penchant for unconventional dress helped), not often seen for figures in the anime industry; even people in Japan who knew nothing about anime might have heard that Gainax was a bunch of "bad boys." The fact Hayao Miyazaki (whom every Japanese does in fact know) gave the speech at Anno's wedding reception, helped to remind the press again not too long ago of his past work and celebrity.

Unlike Sadamoto and Anno, I don't believe that Yamaga has ever in fact been married. I hope his ex-girlfriend didn't marry the president of a giant corporation, or anything like that. "Yamaga-kun, you've changed..."

lyricaldanichan
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby lyricaldanichan » Tue Feb 22, 2005 4:31 pm

Carl Horn wrote:Unlike Sadamoto and Anno, I don't believe that Yamaga has ever in fact been married. I hope his ex-girlfriend didn't marry the president of a giant corporation, or anything like that. "Yamaga-kun, you've changed..."

I thought he did have a girlfriend who did or was coming with him to fanimecon (2000?) but was pissed that she could only smoke outside. That was very surreal ...

Carl Horn
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby Carl Horn » Tue Feb 22, 2005 5:26 pm

lyricaldanichan wrote:
Carl Horn wrote:Unlike Sadamoto and Anno, I don't believe that Yamaga has ever in fact been married. I hope his ex-girlfriend didn't marry the president of a giant corporation, or anything like that. "Yamaga-kun, you've changed..."

I thought he did have a girlfriend who did or was coming with him to fanimecon (2000?) but was pissed that she could only smoke outside. That was very surreal ...

That's true. I remember him saying that. I wonder if her cigarettes say, "Never Knows Best."

--C.

lyricaldanichan
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby lyricaldanichan » Tue Feb 22, 2005 8:30 pm

Carl Horn wrote:
lyricaldanichan wrote:

That's true. I remember him saying that. I wonder if her cigarettes say, "Never Knows Best."

--C.

Hahaha! I don't remeber her to be the Mamimi type..

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Sun Aug 20, 2006 1:01 pm

The fact Hayao Miyazaki (whom every Japanese does in fact know) gave the speech at Anno's wedding reception

Are Anno and Miyazaki buddies or isn't Miyazaki-sensei at least Anno's protege/senpai? I ask because I thought I read that once...Wonder what Miyazaki thought about Eva, esepically EoE if he saw it. ie: Do you think he was disgusted (Ha! I made a funny.) of the gore and dark nature of the film?

Anyway, I really hope that things work out for Anno and his wife. ^_^ It seems like (hopefully) his depression is long gone now, so I wish him the best of luck in being a good father. ^_^ Read: Anno, please don't pull a Gendou (maybe it's just me, but why do look alike? :shock: ) on your kid(s)!
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Otaprince
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Otaprince » Tue Aug 22, 2006 7:28 pm

Yes, they are friends and Miyazaki was something of a mentor to Anno. One of Anno's first animator jobs was working on Nausicaa (he animated [some of? all of?] the scenes with the giant at the end).

Return to “Related to the Filmmakers and Artists”