Misato & Shinji in Episode 23'

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sat Nov 22, 2008 11:09 am

My post was referencing the fact that Yui broke out of the Bakelite right after Eva-02 died, which implies she was actually waiting for it to happen, hence if Shinji valiantly showed up in a timely and crowd-pleasing manner, Yui would've just sat there anyway. If nothing else, I'm just jabbing at the "Shinji should've tried harder!" frame of mind; the film is what it is.

I wonder what the Japanese take on this Misato/Shinji stuff is.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

jim_loves_randy
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby jim_loves_randy » Sat Nov 22, 2008 12:23 pm

Does anyone know if a teacher can legally have sex with one of their high school or university students in Japan?

Ramiel²
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby Ramiel² » Sat Nov 22, 2008 12:30 pm

Hm if i think of Great teacher onizuka..i don't think it's legal.

But well, that story is fictional so don't know :x

RockManBalls
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby RockManBalls » Sat Nov 22, 2008 1:58 pm

jim_loves_randy wrote:Does anyone know if a teacher can legally have sex with one of their high school or university students in Japan?

No. At the university level, when people are of age, I don't know if it's illegal per se, but teachers could still be fired, just how teachers in most universities in America have a code of ethics to abide by. And I'm pretty sure it's illegal to have sex with 14 year-olds in Japan. Unless I've been to a different Japan, it's generally frowned upon there. Not that any of this has to do with Evangelion.

I'm not basing this off of anything specifically, but I really think the Japanese impression of this whole ball of wax is roughly Reichu's. Kissing is something of a big deal in Japan, and in most of their literature, movies, etc... it's meant only for people in a very specific relationship.

Plus, anyone I've ever watched episode 23 with has always gone, "Wait, what the hell was that?"

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Sat Nov 22, 2008 2:47 pm

@Reichu - It isn't worth continuing to derail the topic, but my point is that it does not matter in the slightest to me if he can actually do anything to change it... just that he doesn't even try. No amount of plot contrivance levied against him will change that fact.

As to the Misato/Shinji stuff, I'd like to say there is a world of difference between professional / community ethic standards and the law. Clearly Ritsuko thought it was a bad idea, and Misato believes others would find it distasteful as well. She very well might lose her job if she acted on such impulses. However, none of that makes it illegal or even necessarily wrong.

If she honestly does care, if she treats him as an equal rather than using him as a tool... in that case I have no problem with it. I have my doubts this is the case, however.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

AuraTwilight
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby AuraTwilight » Sat Nov 22, 2008 4:32 pm

And I'm pretty sure it's illegal to have sex with 14 year-olds in Japan. Unless I've been to a different Japan, it's generally frowned upon there. Not that any of this has to do with Evangelion.

It's frowned upon, but it's technically legal.

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Sat Nov 22, 2008 5:12 pm

AuraTwilight wrote:
And I'm pretty sure it's illegal to have sex with 14 year-olds in Japan. Unless I've been to a different Japan, it's generally frowned upon there. Not that any of this has to do with Evangelion.

It's frowned upon, but it's technically legal.

Technically, no. (tl;dr: National age of consent is 13, but prefecture laws take precendence, and they're 17 or higher). But who knows what laws were in effect in the fictional Japan.

RockManBalls
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby RockManBalls » Sat Nov 22, 2008 5:15 pm

EDIT: Beaten /\/\/\/\

I'm not going to go into this anymore after this post, because this seems to be some sort of weeaboo myth, but prefecture law in Japan usually overrides federal law. The various prefectures have different versions of youth protection laws, which usually put the age of consent to 16 or above in most cases. A person can't even vote until they're 20, which is usually thought of as the age of adulthood. If anyone (especially a foreigner, seeing how their criminal justice system works) were to walk into a police box and announce this sort of indiscretion, the police would ready their handcuffs.

This topic is starting to gross me out now, so that's all I'm going to say.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Mon Nov 24, 2008 5:04 pm

RockManBalls wrote:This topic is starting to gross me out now, so that's all I'm going to say.

You should have seen the topics ignoring the fact Rei and Shinji are related, or denying that Ritsuko was raped in episode 23.....

Like I said before, people just either don't wanna go there in the case of Misato and Shinji, or they don't see why Misato trying to seduce Shinji is considered wrong if it's fiction.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

AuraTwilight
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby AuraTwilight » Tue Nov 25, 2008 1:39 pm

I don't see how it's wrong, fiction or not. In Shinji's case, sex can't do anything but help his overall situation. He is the incarnation of "needs to get laid."

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Tue Nov 25, 2008 1:48 pm

AuraTwilight wrote:In Shinji's case, sex can't do anything but help his overall situation. He is the incarnation of "needs to get laid."

:headdesk:
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Tue Nov 25, 2008 5:06 pm

I suspect sex is just about the last thing Shinji needs at the moment. He's damned far from emotionally stable enough to be anything but massively confused and even further stressed out by such an occurrence... especially considering the available selection of equally damaged people around him.

What he needs is nonjudgemental, unselfish emotional support. Exactly what he got from Kaworu. Exactly what he didn't get from Misato, though she tried.
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Tue Nov 25, 2008 9:20 pm

NemZ wrote:What he needs is nonjudgemental, unselfish emotional support from someone who doesn't turn around and get him even more fucked up in the head.

Fixed.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Tue Nov 25, 2008 11:25 pm

thought that part went without saying. ^_^

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Tue Nov 25, 2008 11:48 pm

NemZ wrote:thought that part went without saying. ^_^

Considering this...
Exactly what he got from Kaworu.

...apparently not.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Tue Nov 25, 2008 11:55 pm

That IS exactly what he got from Kaworu... for a few hours anyway, in between attempts at making him very uncomfortable.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Wed Nov 26, 2008 12:07 am

Yes, and then, like I corrected, Kaworu turned around and made Shinji even more fucked up than he'd been to start with, which doesn't seem to make Kaworu's "support" very helpful in real terms. Kaworu doesn't get any special leeway here, much as folks like to romanticise the character.

I thought the point of my fix was straightforward, but oh well. Back on topic.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

AuraTwilight
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby AuraTwilight » Wed Nov 26, 2008 4:04 pm

What he needs is nonjudgemental, unselfish emotionally supportive buttsex. Exactly what he got from Kaworu.

Sorry, I ran that through a fangirl translator.

Ramiel²
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby Ramiel² » Wed Nov 26, 2008 5:20 pm

lol i see what you did there :pwnd:

Count A'ight
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Count A'ight » Wed Dec 03, 2008 7:38 pm

AuraTwilight wrote:He is the incarnation of "needs to get laid."

The same could be said of Rei and Asuka, and arguably Maya.
If I'm pissing you off, just remember: it was Magami No ER who told me about this place, so blame him/her.

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”