Manga to release Renewal versions of D&R and EoE (hah!)

For talking about all other entries in the Evangelion franchise: from the various manga and video games to merchandising and various video/audio releases.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Wed Sep 27, 2006 6:05 pm

The Surrogate Daughter Hypothesis makes more sense than EVA-01 being strictly a "Lilith clone", IMHO. It provides an incredibly neat and succinct way out of the gaping, pussed-filled problems that arise if EVA-01 is severed from Adam and the other Evas altogether.

An alternative translation for bunshin is "alter ego" -- vague and bizarre enough that it seems appropriate to Seele and Gendo's interchange.

Uh.... back on topic, bitches!
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Thu Sep 28, 2006 5:27 pm

Reichu wrote:Aside from the scripts and some trailers, pretty much nothing.

You mean the Movies Renewal set doesn't include the EoE alterinate live-action sequence with Mitsuishi-sama, Megumi-san and Yuko-san?? :shock:

Anyway, I wonder when Mangle will release/get the rights to (re) release this?
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Kaysow
Bardiel
Bardiel

•      
  •      

Postby Kaysow » Fri Sep 29, 2006 5:51 am

The original Renewal DVD (D&R and EoE, with your avatar as boxart) only had crappy-looking trailers as extras. I think the alternate LA thingy was in the Renewal box.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Fri Sep 29, 2006 8:43 pm

I see. Well, geez, that sucks.
Che...we've never gonna get to see an interview with Anno-sensei about Eva, are we? :(
Are there any sites that have images of that movies boxset and the dvds? I'm curious about what the covers look like. (ie: Did the Japanese release use the covers Mangle used for D&R and EoE (5 children with Eva 01 in background; Asuka & Shinji on the beach with creepy-ass Lilith-Rei), or was something new drawn in it's place?)

Off-topic (sorry!) but I'm dying to know: In the Refrain of Evangelion booklet commentary, is it Sadamoto that's doing the commentary? The person's name isn't anywhere on the booklet!
Last edited by Sailor Star Dust on Fri Sep 29, 2006 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mundane
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby Mundane » Fri Sep 29, 2006 8:43 pm

Sailor Star Dust wrote:I see. Well, geez, that sucks.
Che...we've never gonna get to see an interview with Anno-sensei about Eva, are we? :(

Nope.
"Evangelion's some heavy shit. I've heard people get into serious philosophical debates on the internet. Then they jack off." -C4

cat42
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby cat42 » Fri Sep 29, 2006 9:06 pm

What interview with him, and I take it you have no confidence that it'll be in the 10th AE box?

AchtungAffen
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby AchtungAffen » Fri Sep 29, 2006 9:19 pm

The alternate LA segment came from the Renewal Boxset, in the Bonus disc or something. Didn't show up on any other renewal release.

I had a link with a lot of pics of this box, the guy went step by step dissasembling it and taking pics of all the content. But the link is dead now. If anyone has something like that, 'twould be appreciated.
"Oh, Constantine! To how many evils origin was given, not by your conversion to Christianity, but by the dowry which from you received the first Pope that was rich!" - Dante
How can you expect to live in a Republic when you don't care about the res-publica?
"The gun, in all its forms, was the epochal tool of white male supremacy, which is why it continues to have irrational appeal. As much as the jack-booted hate Jews and blacks, that much they love their guns." - James Carrol
My List @ AniDB

- Original activist against the lockers-that-be -

cat42
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby cat42 » Fri Sep 29, 2006 9:21 pm

What's the link? maybe google or Archive.org has it archived?

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Fri Sep 29, 2006 10:52 pm

Sailor Star Dust wrote:Are there any sites that have images of that movies boxset and the dvds? I'm curious about what the covers look like. (ie: Did the Japanese release use the covers Mangle used for D&R and EoE (5 children with Eva 01 in background; Asuka & Shinji on the beach with creepy-ass Lilith-Rei), or was something new drawn in it's place?)

There are a few different Japanese releases (naturally)... Here are pictures that I already had lying around:

http://www.evacommentary.org/images_merch/2nd-impact-box-3_eoe.jpg
http://www.evacommentary.org/images_merch/2nd-impact-box-3_shi-to-shinsei.jpg
http://www.evacommentary.org/images_merch/eoe_2vcd.jpg
http://www.evacommentary.org/images_merch/gekijouban-dvd.jpg
http://www.evacommentary.org/images_merch/ld-box_cover.jpg
http://www.evacommentary.org/images_merch/ld-box_items.jpg

Yahoo! JP would be an obvious place to snoop around.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Darius
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Darius » Sat Sep 30, 2006 5:48 pm

So when are these releases gonna be out? They're just basically releases though right? So they wouldn't be that different other than some little things (like special features maybe..)

I'm asking that because I wanna know if it'd be worth it to buy these versions..

And sorry if I already asked this, I'm kinda in a hurry and couldn't check back.

cat42
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby cat42 » Sat Sep 30, 2006 6:41 pm

Darius wrote:...I'm asking that because I wanna know if it'd be worth it to buy these versions...

Isn't the cleaned up picture reason enough?

Darius
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Darius » Sat Sep 30, 2006 10:05 pm

I had a feeling that there would be that too..and that's what I look for the most in Movies. Thanks for letting me know.

So..any idea on release dates?

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sun Oct 01, 2006 1:38 am

Darius wrote:So when are these releases gonna be out? They're just basically releases though right? So they wouldn't be that different other than some little things (like special features maybe..)

Amanda and Jason's home movies, guest-starring their Rei Real-Doll!
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

cat42
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby cat42 » Sun Oct 01, 2006 2:11 am

Reichu wrote:
Darius wrote:So when are these releases gonna be out? They're just basically releases though right? So they wouldn't be that different other than some little things (like special features maybe..)

Kimochi warui... :(

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Wed Oct 11, 2006 7:05 pm

Possibly stupid question: ("That's okay, Eric, there are no stupid questions...Just stupid people.") is this not just going to be Renewal, but also Revival (I think that was the name for it...It bascially had Death [true^2(??)*], and EoE, no Rebirth.)??

Basically, is Rebirth NOT gonna be included in this release, but just Death and EoE (not sure how the Japanese release was)??

That kinda sucks if that's the case, because I really thought Rebirth was great. I mean, hell, it's bascially the same as the first 3/4 of 25', just cleaned up, but the ending with Tamashii no Rufrain is like a work of art in itself! (The timing of the credits and everything makes for a very cool effect.)

cat42 wrote: Reichu-sama wrote: Darius wrote:
So when are these releases gonna be out? They're just basically releases though right? So they wouldn't be that different other than some little things (like special features maybe..)

Kimochi warui... :(

I don't know what the hell any of that means, but I'm frightened already. :shock:

*I can't remember what it was called or anything, but one of the releases of Death was released as true (and then later true^2??)...I think the difference on one of those is it included the scene of Adam in Gendou's hand? All I know is, the version of Death Mangle released was one of those, and not the "orginal" version of Death...whatever that was. -_-

Kaysow
Bardiel
Bardiel

•      
  •      

Postby Kaysow » Thu Oct 12, 2006 5:20 am

Sailor Star Dust wrote:Basically, is Rebirth NOT gonna be included in this release, but just Death and EoE (not sure how the Japanese release was)??

That kinda sucks if that's the case, because I really thought Rebirth was great. I mean, hell, it's bascially the same as the first 3/4 of 25', just cleaned up, but the ending with Tamashii no Rufrain is like a work of art in itself! (The timing of the credits and everything makes for a very cool effect.)

'Rebirth' wasn't even included in the Japanese Renewal moviepack. I got that, and it's only 'Death' and the two episodes of EoE. So there's no chance.

Yeah, the song there was about the only reason to skim through it.

I hear it was a bit rougher than the final product. Can anyone help point some examples out? Maybe it's something for the Evangelion Commentary Project?

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Thu Oct 12, 2006 7:31 am

Kaysow wrote:
Sailor Star Dust wrote:Basically, is Rebirth NOT gonna be included in this release, but just Death and EoE (not sure how the Japanese release was)??

'Rebirth' wasn't even included in the Japanese Renewal moviepack. I got that, and it's only 'Death' and the two episodes of EoE. So there's no chance.

Yeah, the song there was about the only reason to skim through it.

I hear it was a bit rougher than the final product. Can anyone help point some examples out? Maybe it's something for the Evangelion Commentary Project?

EoE is the cleaned up version of Rebirth.

In Asuka's hospital room, the monitor moves a lot faster in Rebirth than in EoE.

The timing on some of the cuts and stills are a little different (maya on the bridge, Misato hacking inside that room).

The color of the 2 magi when the hack attempt is thwarted is different (EoE = blue, Rebirth = white).

Color saturation looks better in EoE whle Rebirth is too dark in a few places (tanks)

When the tanks come out, in Rebirth the 2 tanks are moving and turn their turrets consecutively and fire 2 shots before the cut, while in EoE there are 3 tanks and they're stationary and synced and fire 3 shots:

You can especially see the detail of the trees and tanks here:
Image Rebirth
Image EoE
It's a completely different cut.

The pan of the command deck right after they lose contact with their observation posts is much faster in Rebirth.

The cut where Rei is floating in a cylinder with her clothes folded neatly on the edge lasts about 10 times longer in EoE than in Rebirth.

The cut when Misato realizes Shinji is hiding under a starwell lasts about twice as long in Rebirth than in EoE

The cut with "Say hi to Yui-kun for me" lasts a little bit longer in EoE.

The bakelite is different in Rebirth:
Image Rebirth
Image EoE

And this cut is missing from Rebirth:

When the JSSDF commander and another soldier are looking over the lake, the explosions in the background are white in Rebirth and yellow in EoE, plus the foreground is different (EoE, the radar dish is out of focus) and the grass and trees are different (this is also the same for the other JSSDF commander scene later in the movie)
ImageRebirth
ImageEoE

Eye catch in EoE: "End of Evangelion Episode: 25' Love is destructive", Rebirth goes straight into the next cut

When a naked Rei turns her head because Gendo walks in, EoE holds that last frame (Rei turning her head right to look behind her) for a lot longer than Rebirth.

The downward pan of the 3 soldiers when they found Shinji lasts a lot longer in EoE than in Rebirth.

The cut where Misato is running to save Shinji (after already shooting the first soldier), in Rebirth, when it cuts to the 2 remaining soldiers, the first turns around and the scene cuts back to Misato running and shooting just before the second turns around. In EoE, both soldiers turn around. Also, after the last soldier is shot, Misato is looking at her handywork and breathing, this scene lasts a little longer in EoE.

When the N2 mine drops from the aerial view, the first flash of explosion is pink in Rebirth, it's white in EoE.

When the shockwave of the N2 mine hits the Nerv pyramid, there are sparks coming off the pyramid in EoE, there's none in Rebirth. And the very next cut after this shows an explosion in EoE, but there's none in Rebirth.

The scene where the missiles are flying into the geofront is drawn a little different:
Image Rebirth
Image EoE

When we first see Asuka in the fetal position in Eva-02, Rebirth has this scene shake from explosions (what explosions?), in EoE it is a steady image.

In EoE, there is a cut of an extra round of depth charges that explode, it's missing in Rebirth

There's an extra zoom out of Asuka in reverse color in the fetal position right before the maggots in EoE, this is missing in Rebirth.

In EoE, right before Eva-02 activates and right after the sketch of Kyoko, child Asuka reaches up to take her mothers hand, and the child's hand turns into Asuka's hand in her plugsuit. This is missing from Rebirth.

The timing of Eva-02 coming out of the water lifting the ship is longer in Rebirth.

When Eva-02 throws the ship towards the JSSDF, there are tracers flying by Eva-02 in EoE, those are missing in Rebirth. Also, after the ship is thrown, tracers still continue to fly toward Eva-02 in EoE, none in Rebirth and the foreground is missing in this cut in Rebirth.
Image Rebirth
Image EoE

The timing between when Misato finds out Asuka is alive and when there's that VTOL firing missiles at Eva-02 is different, Rebirth is longer.

When Asuka kicks the last VToL from behind, the VToL is firing its guns at her, in Rebirth, the VToL doesn't fire.

The cut right before the Seele monoliths with Eva-02's head looking skyward with a fiery foreground lasts about twice as long in EoE than in Rebirth.

The scene where the MPE's are gliding down after being released lasts about twice as long in EoE than in Rebirth.

The MPE's circling Eva-02 at the very end of Rebirth lasts about twice as long than in EoE.

Did I miss anything? Oh, also, I'm comparing Rebirth with the remastered EoE, so some of the minor timing differences may be because it's remastered.
Last edited by Ornette on Thu Oct 12, 2006 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:56 am

Thanks, Ornette! I haven't bothered to systematically go through all of REBIRTH, so that was interesting. But you forgot one important thing: audio! There are a lot of audio differences. Trying to track them all down might be fun if you have the time. ;) (But I'd probably use the crappy old EoE as a reference this time.)
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Thu Oct 12, 2006 12:12 pm

Reichu wrote:Thanks, Ornette! I haven't bothered to systematically go through all of REBIRTH, so that was interesting. But you forgot one important thing: audio! There are a lot of audio differences. Trying to track them all down might be fun if you have the time. ;) (But I'd probably use the crappy old EoE as a reference this time.)

NP. The audio differences is going to take a lot longer, as the visual differences was as simple as playing them both at the same time and occasionally having to resync them or go back because I thought I saw a difference. The audio differences is going to require a bit more back and forth. Maybe I'll play them on different computers and use headphones, one for each ear. hmmm

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Thu Oct 12, 2006 12:30 pm

It would be awesome if you felt like doing that -- would save me a lotta work. ;) Here's the thread to post any lists in, tho: http://evageeks.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1627

It contains a link to another thread at ANF where some of the audio differences are already noted, but not in much depth. If one knows EoE well enough, a lot of them can be spotted just by listening to REBIRTH. ("Hey, wait a sec, that's not how it--")
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Return to “Everything Else Evangelion”