Death & Rebirth... and my mother.

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

slothen
First Ancestral Sloth
First Ancestral Sloth

•      
  •      

Postby slothen » Mon Mar 19, 2007 10:05 pm

imagine what would of happened in evangelion if the characters adopted that attitude.
God, Apparently you all have been discussing Q since November. Catching up on the discussion is harrowing.

MAL Profile

THE Hal E. Burton 9000
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby THE Hal E. Burton 9000 » Mon Mar 19, 2007 10:21 pm

C4 wrote:
I wrote:The only thing that matters in life and in doing the "moral" thing is, simply, what I have termed, "The Nike Philosophy." What is "The Nike Philosophy" you may ask? <snip>JUST DO IT. If the problems of this world are ever going to find a solution or resolution, people need to start being honest about whatever the hell they desire in their hearts no matter the consquences. And the act on it, damn it!
I understand what you're trying to get at, but "Just do it" as a general rule is horribly flawed. Some desires are destructive and counter-productive. For example, take man A. These are his more deviant desires.

1. I want to get drunk off my ass, and sleep all tomorrow.
2. That girl over there is cute. I'd like very much to sleep with her.

I could list more, but you get the point. So, for me at least, I think you need a little more guiding your actions than "I want this to happen."
All that's true. But if people aren't willing enough to at least talk about what they want, others will simply (in politics and religion, an oversimplified view really) assume and project from where they stand and exaserbate the situation at hand. There is something called the scientific method which could be applied. Hell, even a form of Darwinism. That could clearly be very dangerous or painful but the truth would be found out. But, don't forget the old Beatles tune, "All You Need is Love." If people could figure out ways to have a grateful attitude for either what they have or desire then things could at least never get worse and would most likely get better.
- TEH Fabulous Hal E. Burton 9000

P.S. For those wanting to discuss a matter with yours truly not pertaining to the general topic at hand, PM me. Please and thank you.

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

Re: ^_^ \/,,

•      
  •      

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Mon Mar 19, 2007 11:13 pm

chiefen wrote:
In America, sex is representative of sin and disobeying "God." :roll:
I'm certainly no theology expert and no very little of the Christian religion, but I'm going to take a few stabs that I feel should be accurate here:

1. Of all the ten commandments, I can only think of one that has to due with sex. And that is that thou shalt not covet thy neighbor's wife. Now, even among non-religious people it's considered pretty immoral to have an affair with someone who's married.

2. "Thou Shalt Not Muder" is kinda like, right there. So anyone in America thinking sex is wrong and a sin should also be thinking that violence/murder is wrong and a sin. pretty screwed up to think anything else.

So I don't think this really has anything to do with most people thinking of sex is a sin and "disobeying God". Rather many even non-religious people are just much more comfortable with violence and murder than with sex. That probably says something about how screwed up this nation is, but I don't think it should be blamed on religion, Christianity, or the Bible.

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

•      
  •      

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Mon Mar 19, 2007 11:18 pm

THE Hal E. Burton 9000 wrote:I really don't give a rat's ass what anyone believes in. As time has moved along, I keep getting reminded of what matters in life. The only thing that matters in life and in doing the "moral" thing is, simply, what I have termed, "The Nike Philosophy." What is "The Nike Philosophy" you may ask? No, it does not refer to Nike Inc.'s business practices. It refers to its old slogan. Everybody's heard it a hundred times before: JUST DO IT. If the problems of this world are ever going to find a solution or resolution, people need to start being honest about whatever the hell they desire in their hearts no matter the consquences. And the act on it, damn it! The pride, the greed, the laziness and downright stupidity out there will never be fixed if people don't start acting on what they actually want. I hope that no matter what someone believes in, they at least be honest on what they say they believe. Otherwise, humanity really hasn't much to show for over the last millenium or so. Sorry for this Jerry Maguire "Things we think and do not say" moment. It makes want to spew out both ends when people assign something as a priority only to flush it down the toliet when it starts to backfire against themselves.
Sorry, this philosophy doesn't work. If people ever hope to live in peace with one another, then understanding, love, and compromise is what's needed. When all you have is people thinking about what they want, you end up with everything that's terrible in this world.

With people thinking only their way is right. With people who will do anything to get what they want without regard for others' thoughts and feelings. And quite frankly, that's all that's WRONG with this world. That's mostly because, to quote a saying I saw somewhere, people are bastard coated bastards with bastard filling.

I'm not saying people shouldn't be honest with THEMSELVES about their desires, but you have to also find a medium between going after what you want but respecting what others want as well.

THE Hal E. Burton 9000
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby THE Hal E. Burton 9000 » Mon Mar 19, 2007 11:18 pm

To butcher the old catch phrase, it's the pride, stupid!

P.S. For those wanting to discuss a matter with yours truly not pertaining to the general topic at hand, PM me. Please and thank you.

THE Hal E. Burton 9000
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby THE Hal E. Burton 9000 » Mon Mar 19, 2007 11:28 pm

Eva Yojimbo wrote:
I wrote:I really don't give a rat's ass what anyone believes in. As time has moved along, I keep getting reminded of what matters in life. The only thing that matters in life and in doing the "moral" thing is, simply, what I have termed, "The Nike Philosophy." What is "The Nike Philosophy" you may ask? No, it does not refer to Nike Inc.'s business practices. It refers to its old slogan. Everybody's heard it a hundred times before: JUST DO IT. If the problems of this world are ever going to find a solution or resolution, people need to start being honest about whatever the hell they desire in their hearts no matter the consquences. And the act on it, damn it! The pride, the greed, the laziness and downright stupidity out there will never be fixed if people don't start acting on what they actually want. I hope that no matter what someone believes in, they at least be honest on what they say they believe. Otherwise, humanity really hasn't much to show for over the last millenium or so. Sorry for this Jerry Maguire "Things we think and do not say" moment. It makes want to spew out both ends when people assign something as a priority only to flush it down the toliet when it starts to backfire against themselves.
Sorry, this philosophy doesn't work. If people ever hope to live in peace with one another, then understanding, love, and compromise is what's needed. When all you have is people thinking about what they want, you end up with everything that's terrible in this world.
With people thinking only their way is right. With people who will do anything to get what they want without regard for others' thoughts and feelings. And quite frankly, that's all that's WRONG with this world. That's mostly because, to quote a saying I saw somewhere, people are bastard coated bastards with bastard filling.
I'm not saying people shouldn't be honest with THEMSELVES about their desires, but you have to also find a medium between going after what you want but respecting what others want as well.
That is all I was trying to say with my li'l manifesto. Thanks for being more to-the-point and not so embittered-sounding than I did there.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Mon Mar 19, 2007 11:29 pm

Back on topic bitches.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

THE Hal E. Burton 9000
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby THE Hal E. Burton 9000 » Mon Mar 19, 2007 11:32 pm

Reichu wrote:Back on topic bitches.
Sorry for that O-T existential discussion. :oops:

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Tue Mar 20, 2007 2:14 pm

Eva Yojimbo wrote:Sorry, this philosophy doesn't work. If people ever hope to live in peace with one another, then understanding, love, and compromise is what's needed. When all you have is people thinking about what they want, you end up with everything that's terrible in this world.

100% agree. ^_^

So, how about that Death & Rebirth? Sucks how Rebirth was scrapped, eh? I like the weirdness factor as well as the Tamashii No Rufuran ED, but oh well. :(
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

•      
  •      

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Tue Mar 20, 2007 9:06 pm

I don't get what the point of Rebirth was. I mean, they already had EoE planned or in the works. So was Rebirth just meant to be a long teaser?

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Tue Mar 20, 2007 9:13 pm

Eva Yojimbo wrote:I don't get what the point of Rebirth was. I mean, they already had EoE planned or in the works. So was Rebirth just meant to be a long teaser?

Yes, a pre-final product teaser. The Rebirth that was in the theatres was different than the one that ended up on the Manga D&R DVD, which was an exact copy of the first 20 or so minutes of AIR, and yes, that is completely pointless. But there's a fansub of the real Rebirth floating around, and although it's nothing new (it's pretty much an unfinished version of AIR), it's still pretty interesting to see at least once.

In a rare fit of boredom, I painstakenly went through both AIR and Rebirth and noted the visual and audio differences in this thread: http://evageeks.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1627

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Fri Mar 23, 2007 7:24 pm

Rather awkwardly split the divergence on Masayuki's music videos into Omake.

I extracted the stuff that is directly relevant to this thread:

Posted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 9:32 pm

Reichu wrote:
Sailor Star Dust wrote:So, how about that Death & Rebirth? Sucks how Rebirth was scrapped, eh?

Sucks that Gainax didn't have the balls to send it overseas, or Manga (apparently) the wits to know they'd been duped. But I don't mourn its absence from my R2 "The Feature Film" DVD-set.

Posted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 9:09 pm

Sailor StarDust wrote:So, in terms of Death (this topic IS about D&R after all), I guess the only place that would have differences between the various edits (original, true, true^2) would be Japanese(??) fansites?? Not that it matters in a major way, but I'm curious about where the snipped DC cuts originally were in the film... And I get the feeling I asked this question before. D'OH! >_<

Posted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 9:32 pm

Reichu wrote:
So, in terms of Death (this topic IS about D&R after all), I guess the only place that would have differences between the various edits (original, true, true^2) would be Japanese(??) fansites??

Thanks to the Newtype Filmbook for DEATH, we know that some of the Asuka NPC scenes were removed, and the flashing shot of the smiling Misato during Shinji and Kensuke's conversation was redrawn.

For more extensive lists -- yeah, some Googling in Japanese might be required.

Not that it matters in a major way, but I'm curious about where the snipped DC cuts originally were in the film...

They were mostly bunched together between the Kaji and Kaworu "movements".
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Omegagouki
Shikigami of the Castle
Shikigami of the Castle

•      
  •      

Postby Omegagouki » Fri Mar 23, 2007 7:48 pm

Wow, it's nice to see a topic I made spark so much converstion. In fact, I'm kind of surprised to see something I made get this much response.

I was never able to get an answer out of my mom about her thoughts, so I decided to give up and just let her keep her opinion to herself. Ah well.

So... carry on, guys.
PSN/Steam: Zentillion | Tum8lr
8luh 8luh
Sill (and always) promoting Homestuck

SoryuUberAlles
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby SoryuUberAlles » Thu Mar 29, 2007 12:15 pm

If your mother didn't tell you what she thought it looks like either
1. She thought nothing. Confusing movie.
2. "If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all."

I don't think I'd ever let my mother find out about my Eva habit. My friends, even the anime-friendly ones, will never be persuaded to watch it by me because they do know:
1. Eva has father issues
2. I have father issues
Lowering their opinion of both me and Eva at once. So that's why my mother can never know.
Another irony for my family is that sex and violence they have no problem with, it's Christianity they can't stand.
"You're just turning this into a mixture of gibberish and fan service! That's not the Evangelion I know!" - An Asuka, one of many.

slothen
First Ancestral Sloth
First Ancestral Sloth

•      
  •      

Postby slothen » Thu Mar 29, 2007 7:46 pm

That's awesome.
God, Apparently you all have been discussing Q since November. Catching up on the discussion is harrowing.

MAL Profile

THE Hal E. Burton 9000
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby THE Hal E. Burton 9000 » Fri Mar 30, 2007 11:51 am

That's amusing. Were your folks flower children, grew up in a commune somewhere on the west coast, former Soviets or Christians or something like that? :P

BobBQ
Dyskolos
Dyskolos

•      
  •      

Postby BobBQ » Fri Mar 30, 2007 6:17 pm

SoryuUberAlles wrote:Another irony for my family is that sex and violence they have no problem with, it's Christianity they can't stand.

I'd fit into your family pretty well, then.

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”