Rebuild of Wevangeliwon #1 = September 1

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Postby Reichu » Sun Apr 22, 2007 10:58 pm

Ayana-Me wrote:I'm hoping that they bring back that double-bladed chainsaw that Kaworu uses to fight Armisael with in the manga. If it has a chainsaw, it's bound to do well in the States.

The appearance in the manga screams of "PRODUCT PLACEMENT LOL".

I love Yamashita and all, but the double chainsaw is just stupid. I'll hope that Alfa came up with the idea and he just drew the thing (kind of like the Fugly Type Armor). If there's any weapon not in the original series that'd be worth seeing, it's the set of swords (Magnarox and Counter Sword), IMO.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Ayana-Me
Adam

Postby Ayana-Me » Mon Apr 23, 2007 4:45 pm

Reichu wrote:The appearance in the manga screams of "PRODUCT PLACEMENT LOL".

I love Yamashita and all, but the double chainsaw is just stupid. I'll hope that Alfa came up with the idea and he just drew the thing (kind of like the Fugly Type Armor). If there's any weapon not in the original series that'd be worth seeing, it's the set of swords (Magnarox and Counter Sword), IMO.

How about a Makita power drill?

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Mon Apr 23, 2007 6:31 pm

Reichu wrote:snip

First GIRL? Third BOY?

Please jeebus, don't tell me they're going to scrap the use of CHILDREN. >_< I'm too used to that! T_T

Misato=Lieutenant Colonel huh? So if/when she gets the promotion, what would that make her?
<--Knows nothing about miltary stuff and the like.

That poster rules, DO WANT, I just wish Asuka-chan could be in it, too. :( I like how Shinji is sitting in the center....ALONE....with no one else..../Symbolism.

....Did Sadamoto draw this?

Perhaps she'll show up in the last minute or so of the film as a bit of a teaser to lead on to the next movie.

That's my prediction.
LOLZ:
A: "I have boobs Kaji...FUCK ME!"
K: "....NO U. LOL"
*next day when Misato-tachi arrive to pick her up*
A: " ^_^ Kaji-san I still love you~~~~ <3"
K: "*headsigh*"

Shinji's "There's nothing I'm worthy of protecting" doesn't sound that odd to me. Yeah, it's going into EoE or even Cloud Strife Advent Children-type terriorty, but with Shin-chan's personality, it makes sense. *shrugs*

...And "rain of blood", huh? *_* Cool. (Yes, watching the violent scenes in 16, 18, 19/20 and EoE horrified and intrigued me at the same time. ^^; )
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

THE Hal E. Burton 9000
Elder God
Elder God

Postby THE Hal E. Burton 9000 » Mon Apr 23, 2007 6:57 pm

Stardust wrote:Misato=Lieutenant Colonel huh? So if/when she gets the promotion, what would that make her?
<--Knows nothing about miltary stuff and the like.
Um, with the "lieutenant" in there, a promotion would then be to colonel.
Stardust wrote:LOLZ:
A: "I have boobs Kaji...FUCK ME!"
K: "....NO U. LOL"
*next day when Misato-tachi arrive to pick her up*
A: " ^_^ Kaji-san I still love you~~~~ <3"
K: "*headsigh*"
:lol:
- TEH Fabulous Hal E. Burton 9000

P.S. For those wanting to discuss a matter with yours truly not pertaining to the general topic at hand, PM me. Please and thank you.

BrikHaus
Dokutah Tenma
Dokutah Tenma

Postby BrikHaus » Mon Apr 23, 2007 7:23 pm

Sailor Star Dust wrote:Shinji's "There's nothing I'm worthy of protecting" doesn't sound that odd to me. Yeah, it's going into EoE or even Cloud Strife Advent Children-type terriorty, but with Shin-chan's personality, it makes sense. *shrugs*

That was actually my re-translation. Reichu's original (to which she was referring in her posts) was the awkward version. Not that mine is necessarily right, but it does sound more in tune with the established character. Here it is:

Reichu wrote:Shinji "There's nothing that's worth being protected by me."
Awesomely Shitty
-"That purace has more badassu maddafaakas zan supermax spaceland."
-On EMF, as a thread becomes longer, the likelihood that fem-Kaworu will be mentioned increases exponentially.
-the only English language novel actually being developed in parallel to its Japanese version involving a pan-human Soviet in a galactic struggle to survive and to export the communist utopia/revolution to all the down trodden alien class and race- one of the premise being that Khrushchev remains and has abandoned Lysenko stupidity

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Mon Apr 23, 2007 11:11 pm

As long as Shinji's messed up and full of self-hatred, I'm a happy man!!

And does anyone think the new character will be another German? Or perhaps American and this time Unit 04 actually gets over to Japan.

Either way, new character I promise is going to be a hottie girl with glasses. They have everything else already (and poor Ritsuko doesn't really count)

Six Winged Angel
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

Postby Six Winged Angel » Tue Apr 24, 2007 12:00 am

Maybe the new character (on the "episode") will be Kaworu.....I hope it's that
and First Boy?!? tsk...
~But someday you will come to understand that on your back, there are wings with which you can fly on the distant future.

slothen
First Ancestral Sloth
First Ancestral Sloth

Postby slothen » Tue Apr 24, 2007 12:07 am

Six Winged Angel wrote:Maybe the new character (on the "episode") will be Kaworu.....I hope it's that
and First Boy?!? tsk...

that would be wetarded. Not because I hate Kaworu, because I do, but merely because he isn't a new character.
God, Apparently you all have been discussing Q since November. Catching up on the discussion is harrowing.

MAL Profile

BrikHaus
Dokutah Tenma
Dokutah Tenma

Postby BrikHaus » Tue Apr 24, 2007 10:41 am

Rebuild Poster wrote:僕に守る価値なんてないは

INCORRECT Translation wrote:"There's nothing I'm worthy of protecting."

Reichu wrote:Do you get how "~ ni mamoru kachi nante nai" breaks down? It's the boldened part that got me.

BrikHaus (myself) wrote:Upon further reflection I thought of another possibility. When he begins with "boku ni" he might be saying "for me" and in that case the translation might actually be: "For me, there is nothing worth protecting."

I've gotten confirmation from a friend, who is a native speaker, that my second translation (seen above in the fourth quotation) is the (more or less) correct one for Shinji's statement seen at the top of the Rebuild poster.

She told me that the most accurate English translation would be: "I have nothing worth protecting."

As far as the grammar: boku ni = for me (or rather "I have"), mamoru kachi = worth protecting (there is no good explanation why the words seem to appear in reverse order, that is just the way they are traditionally said), finally: kachi = worth (and not the same as worthy).

I hope this has cleared some things up :D
Last edited by BrikHaus on Tue Apr 24, 2007 3:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Awesomely Shitty
-"That purace has more badassu maddafaakas zan supermax spaceland."
-On EMF, as a thread becomes longer, the likelihood that fem-Kaworu will be mentioned increases exponentially.
-the only English language novel actually being developed in parallel to its Japanese version involving a pan-human Soviet in a galactic struggle to survive and to export the communist utopia/revolution to all the down trodden alien class and race- one of the premise being that Khrushchev remains and has abandoned Lysenko stupidity

cat42
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

Postby cat42 » Tue Apr 24, 2007 11:37 am

BrikHaus wrote:...She told me that the most accurate English translation would be: "I have nothing worth protecting."...

Don't worry Shinji, you are (not) alone!
"...I follow you both online and offline, and I am a 4-dimensional manifestation of absolute evil..." - Reichu-tachi
"In all cases, eventually it becomes necessary to decide to 'deliberately betray the fans.'" - Yoji Enokido
I believe in the director of Eva 1.11.

chiefen
Tunniel
Tunniel

^_^ \/,,

Postby chiefen » Tue Apr 24, 2007 3:19 pm

cat42 wrote:
BrikHaus wrote:...She told me that the most accurate English translation would be: "I have nothing worth protecting."...

Do worry Shinji, you are (not) alone!
NGE, N. G. E., N. G. Evangelion, Neon Genesis Evangelion.

NOT Eva or EVA. Please. >_<

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Tue Apr 24, 2007 4:54 pm

:lol: Personally, I doubt/hope the new character WON'T be a new Pilot, 'cause that would suck since it doesn't go along with the original. /anal-retentiveness.

Even though there's going to be a "New Machine/New Eva", I don't think it means anybody would pilot it.

And I was going to say something else that wasn't just repeating things I already said, but for the life of me I can't remember what it was. >_<

Carry on!

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mr. Tines » Tue Apr 24, 2007 5:11 pm

Sailor Star Dust wrote:Even though there's going to be a "New Machine/New Eva", I don't think it means anybody would pilot it.

Just hope the new machine doesn't look like this...

:twisted:
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Ornette » Tue Apr 24, 2007 5:14 pm

Mr. Tines wrote:
Sailor Star Dust wrote:Even though there's going to be a "New Machine/New Eva", I don't think it means anybody would pilot it.

Just hope the new machine doesn't look like this...

http://www.ravnaandtines.com/eva/uninstall-2.jpg

:twisted:

I thought the Bokurano mech looked pretty cool /OT

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Tue Apr 24, 2007 5:14 pm

WTF is that? Image

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mr. Tines » Tue Apr 24, 2007 5:18 pm

Sailor Star Dust wrote:WTF is that? Image

A mecha that is powered by the suffering of children.

@Ornette
The implications rather than the superficial look were what I was getting at.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

NAveryW
Insect Politician
Insect Politician

Re: ^_^ \/,,

Postby NAveryW » Tue Apr 24, 2007 7:11 pm

chiefen wrote:
cat42 wrote:

Do worry Shinji, you are (not) alone!

Do(n't) worry Shinji, you are (not) alone!
"Today?... hmm... today... right... Um... I'm just gonna wing it." -Guess who

Big Panda
Lilith

Postby Big Panda » Tue Apr 24, 2007 9:54 pm

Mr. Tines wrote:A mecha that is powered by the suffering of children.

An EVA?
:rimshot:

*moments of silence*

YOU ARE A HORRIBLE AUDIENCE!
I guess it's time for a decent sig right? NAHHHHHHHH

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Postby Reichu » Tue Apr 24, 2007 11:46 pm

BrikHaus wrote:I've gotten confirmation from a friend, who is a native speaker, that my second translation (seen above in the fourth quotation) is the (more or less) correct one for Shinji's statement seen at the top of the Rebuild poster.

She told me that the most accurate English translation would be: "I have nothing worth protecting."

You and your friend rule. Proceeding to revision.

Hey, would your friend be persuaded to ever abet in Evangelion geek-causes...?
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

V
Banned

Postby V » Wed Apr 25, 2007 5:52 am

My best guess on what the "new machine" is:

we've heard rumor that movie 1 is going to give us more prequel stuff so....

I think we'll just actually see some of the failed Eva prototypes. Which would actually be pretty fun because all we get are some quick shots of DOZENS of creepy "Failed Evas" (the one with 5 eyes, and ones that look pratically like human skulls)

Because my running theory was that they simply were never able to get these other Evas to activate....

....but what if they DID get them to..."turn on"...but they were horrible mutants and uncontrollable....

Anyone ever see "Alien: Resurrection"? That's the mental image I'm going for here (if you haven't; basically they clone Ripley back to life but she's "clone #8" they say, and there's a scene where she finds the lab containing the failed clones 1-7, who are totally messed up freaks in jars (progressively more human) except for #7 who is just a mess and begs to be euthanized)
Who is "Codename V"?....
I'm pleased to meet you and I hope you guessed my name, but what's puzzling you, is the nature of my game...so catch me if you can!! (0:50)
"Superior ability breeds superior ambition" -- Spock, Star Trek TOS episode 1.24 "Space Seed"
You say you say you want a REvolution?...
-->It was only after I lost everything, that I realized: I was free to do anything...

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”