Gurren Lagann Countdown!

This is for the non-Eva goings on at Gainax, both old and new.

Moderator: Board Staff

NAveryW
Insect Politician
Insect Politician

•      
  •      

Postby NAveryW » Fri Apr 27, 2007 5:24 pm

Has anyone seen the fourth episode yet? Apparently the animation style has changed, and it's considered by many to be crappy... :(
"Today?... hmm... today... right... Um... I'm just gonna wing it." -Guess who

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Fri Apr 27, 2007 5:33 pm

I've seen it. Personally I'm not the biggest fan of the style but I also don't feel its crappy.
Apparently it looks like Gurren-Lagann is going to be another GAINAX show that brings in guest directors to handle specific episodes and give them free reign to tell the story their way.

Apparently episode 4 was storyboarded and directed by Ozamu Kobayashi, a popular anime director whos work I've never seen. The animation itself is weird (the lips are actually synched to the Japanese for once, very little floppy mouth) and the style is nowhere near the stlye of the previous episodes. Also while the action isn't bad it pales in comparison to the previous 3.
But it doesn't bother me as an experiment. Looking at the preview for the 5th episode it looks like the old style comes back.
I actually hope they brign in more experimental directors and fool around a bit (it wouldn't be GAINAX without pissing otaku's off a little). I'd love to see Anno or Tsurumaki handle an episode but they're knee deep in Shinji, so not this time.

Tokpile Quohog
Marquis Tokpile de Boîtes

•      
  •      

Postby Tokpile Quohog » Sun Apr 29, 2007 5:38 pm

Just finished watching episode 4......

/cry

It wasn't complete trash but it could've been better. Here's hoping that they improve on the next episode.
TheEvaMonkey: I HATE BEING A FAT CHICK

NAveryW
Insect Politician
Insect Politician

•      
  •      

Postby NAveryW » Sun Apr 29, 2007 10:08 pm

I haven't seen episodes 4 or 5 yet, but...
Wow...

BrikHaus
Dokutah Tenma
Dokutah Tenma

•      
  •      

Postby BrikHaus » Sun Apr 29, 2007 10:27 pm

At least Gainax is smart enough to give Nono center stage. Although, it definitely needs more Mahoro. :D I might have to watch this episode just to see what the heck this thing is all about.
Awesomely Shitty
-"That purace has more badassu maddafaakas zan supermax spaceland."
-On EMF, as a thread becomes longer, the likelihood that fem-Kaworu will be mentioned increases exponentially.
-the only English language novel actually being developed in parallel to its Japanese version involving a pan-human Soviet in a galactic struggle to survive and to export the communist utopia/revolution to all the down trodden alien class and race- one of the premise being that Khrushchev remains and has abandoned Lysenko stupidity

slothen
First Ancestral Sloth
First Ancestral Sloth

•      
  •      

Postby slothen » Sun Apr 29, 2007 11:46 pm

so like.. could someone tell me what the hell this thing is? what is it? and what does it have to do with nono?
Last edited by slothen on Sun Apr 29, 2007 11:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
God, Apparently you all have been discussing Q since November. Catching up on the discussion is harrowing.

MAL Profile

Otaprince
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Otaprince » Sun Apr 29, 2007 11:46 pm

Gendo'sPapa wrote:Apparently episode 4 was storyboarded and directed by Osamu Kobayashi

Strangely, though, this style didn't resemble any other Kobayashi anime I've seen, either (Beck, Paradise Kiss)--

Gendo'sPapa wrote:I actually hope they brign in more experimental directors and fool around a bit

agreed-- in my ideal world, we'd get Satoshi Kon's Gurren Lagann!

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Sun Apr 29, 2007 11:48 pm

I know. I saw that image this morning and despite being a busy day I still can't get over it.
And if you see it in action Nono has the quintessential "Gainax Bounce" going on.
Pure laughs.

Tokpile Quohog

•      
  •      

Postby Tokpile Quohog » Mon Apr 30, 2007 12:37 am

So episode 5 is in the process of being subbed?

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Mon Apr 30, 2007 3:03 pm

a group named [anon] has a torrent out

NAveryW
Insect Politician
Insect Politician

•      
  •      

Postby NAveryW » Mon Apr 30, 2007 3:43 pm

Does it seem odd that Asuka still has her "hoohoos" and Lal'C has her forehead patch?

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Mon Apr 30, 2007 6:19 pm

Ornette wrote:a group named [anon] has a torrent out

nm, that one didn't have subtitles.

Defectron
Tentacle Girl
Tentacle Girl

•      
  •      

Postby Defectron » Mon Apr 30, 2007 7:25 pm

Does it seem odd that Asuka still has her "hoohoos" and Lal'C has her forehead patch?

Asuka got implants to impress Shinji and Lark is using super glue.
Parasite Galaxy: An experimental webcomic

http://www.parasitegalaxy.com/ Updates Monday and Thursday. Vote for me on top webcomics

If you want to support this comic buy something from me on amazon

NAveryW
Insect Politician
Insect Politician

•      
  •      

Postby NAveryW » Mon Apr 30, 2007 7:32 pm

And Mahoro finally got her wish and has large breasts.

...I'm going to go out on a limb here and venture to say that this scene is probably just going to last for about two seconds at most, these eclectic Gainax protagonists will be extras, and the show will not go into any more detail as to why they are there.

Zkh
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Zkh » Mon Apr 30, 2007 7:39 pm

Ornette wrote:nm, that one didn't have subtitles.

What. I downloaded one of the eps from [anon] and it had subs with it.

Also I kind of like my animation styles to stay consistent so it feels like I'm watching the same show. Also, Kamina acted very out of character in episode 4, FAILNAX does it again.

Tokpile Quohog

•      
  •      

Postby Tokpile Quohog » Mon Apr 30, 2007 8:06 pm

Zkh wrote:What. I downloaded one of the eps from [anon] and it had subs with it.

Also I kind of like my animation styles to stay consistent so it feels like I'm watching the same show. Also, Kamina acted very out of character in episode 4, FAILNAX does it again.

/cry. WRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRY!!!???

Trigger's Elysium
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Trigger's Elysium » Mon Apr 30, 2007 8:25 pm

Zkh wrote:Also I kind of like my animation styles to stay consistent so it feels like I'm watching the same show. Also, Kamina acted very out of character in episode 4, FAILNAX does it again.

Of course, they change animation directors for one episode and everyone shits all over GAINAX, even making a co-founder leave the company. Jesus Christ, can't people suck it up and accept that the one episode looks slightly different than the others?
He was warrior and mystic, ogre and saint, the fox and the innocent, chivalrous, ruthless, less than a god, more than a man. There is no measuring Muad'Dib's motives by ordinary standards. In the moment of his triumph, he saw the death prepared for him, yet he accepted the treachery. Can you say he did this out of a sense of justice? Whose justice, then? Remember, we speak now of the Muad'Dib who ordered battle drums made from his enemies' skins, the Muad'Dib who denied the conventions of his ducal past with a wave of the hand, saying merely: "I am the Kwisatz Haderach. That is reason enough."

Tokpile Quohog

•      
  •      

Postby Tokpile Quohog » Mon Apr 30, 2007 8:40 pm

Trigger's Elysium wrote:Of course, they change animation directors for one episode and everyone shits all over GAINAX, even making a co-founder leave the company. Jesus Christ, can't people suck it up and accept that the one episode looks slightly different than the others?

I find that "slightly different" is a bit of an understatement.

BrikHaus
Dokutah Tenma
Dokutah Tenma

•      
  •      

Postby BrikHaus » Mon Apr 30, 2007 8:45 pm

NAveryW wrote:And Mahoro finally got her wish and has large breasts.

Now if I could only have my wish of a different Mahoromatic ending, all would be right with the world.

...I'm going to go out on a limb here and venture to say that this scene is probably just going to last for about two seconds at most, these eclectic Gainax protagonists will be extras, and the show will not go into any more detail as to why they are there.

I figured this would be the case, as well. Some kind of joke, and a cut away scene, ala "Family Guy." I think that the girls they picked were good choices, however Lal'c (she'll always be Lark to me, dammit) was a strange choice. I would have probably gone with Haruhara Haruko instead, or maybe even Nadia.
Awesomely Shitty
-"That purace has more badassu maddafaakas zan supermax spaceland."
-On EMF, as a thread becomes longer, the likelihood that fem-Kaworu will be mentioned increases exponentially.
-the only English language novel actually being developed in parallel to its Japanese version involving a pan-human Soviet in a galactic struggle to survive and to export the communist utopia/revolution to all the down trodden alien class and race- one of the premise being that Khrushchev remains and has abandoned Lysenko stupidity

Tokpile Quohog

•      
  •      

Postby Tokpile Quohog » Mon Apr 30, 2007 8:48 pm

If Haruko was included in the scene I'd have to say she would take Nono's place at the center. Please don't hate me BrikHaus. :(

Return to “Gaina[x] Stuff”