O Where, O Where Has My SquareSoft Gone?

Discussions about non-Evangelion related video games, board games, card games and gaming in general.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Executor
Banned

O Where, O Where Has My SquareSoft Gone?

•      
  •      

Postby Executor » Fri May 04, 2007 7:07 pm

Split from "Kingdom Hearts". --Reichu

Trigger's Elysium wrote:Kingdom Hearts is a waste of manpower that could be going into Chrono Break right now if SQUEENIX DIDN'T SUCK SO GODDAMN MUCH D:<

Or a remake of Chrono Cross/Trigger.

Trigger's Elysium
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Trigger's Elysium » Fri May 04, 2007 7:48 pm

Quite. That too would be nice. Ironically, there was a fan remake of Chrono Trigger in the works, but Square found out and gave the makers a C&D. DX I hate Square...it would have been beautiful...

A remake of Xenogears would also rock me. They could remedy the second disc into not sucking and be more like the godlike first disc.
He was warrior and mystic, ogre and saint, the fox and the innocent, chivalrous, ruthless, less than a god, more than a man. There is no measuring Muad'Dib's motives by ordinary standards. In the moment of his triumph, he saw the death prepared for him, yet he accepted the treachery. Can you say he did this out of a sense of justice? Whose justice, then? Remember, we speak now of the Muad'Dib who ordered battle drums made from his enemies' skins, the Muad'Dib who denied the conventions of his ducal past with a wave of the hand, saying merely: "I am the Kwisatz Haderach. That is reason enough."

BrikHaus
Dokutah Tenma
Dokutah Tenma

•      
  •      

Postby BrikHaus » Fri May 04, 2007 9:48 pm

Square used to rock, but after they started doing releases like Final Fantasy VII: The Last Order of Dirge of Cerberus's Crisis Core Part 4 I gave up.
Awesomely Shitty
-"That purace has more badassu maddafaakas zan supermax spaceland."
-On EMF, as a thread becomes longer, the likelihood that fem-Kaworu will be mentioned increases exponentially.
-the only English language novel actually being developed in parallel to its Japanese version involving a pan-human Soviet in a galactic struggle to survive and to export the communist utopia/revolution to all the down trodden alien class and race- one of the premise being that Khrushchev remains and has abandoned Lysenko stupidity

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Fri May 04, 2007 10:44 pm

Trigger's Elysium wrote:Ironically, there was a fan remake of Chrono Trigger in the works, but Square found out and gave the makers a C&D.

Chrono Resurrection
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Executor
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Executor » Fri May 04, 2007 11:01 pm

BrikHaus wrote:Square used to rock, but after they started doing releases like Final Fantasy VII: The Last Order of Dirge of Cerberus's Crisis Core Part 4 I gave up.

Yeah, they went down the shitter with Advent Children, which is nothing more than stupid fan service, and it cheapens the story of the origional game, too(With Sephiroth coming back.)

slothen
First Ancestral Sloth
First Ancestral Sloth

•      
  •      

Postby slothen » Sat May 05, 2007 9:59 am

I never got into the final fantasy series, although I would have liked to. I'm fairly familiar with the FFVII story though, simply through my own research. I thought Advent Children was fairly entertaining, good but not great, and certainly better than your average video-game/movie crossover.
God, Apparently you all have been discussing Q since November. Catching up on the discussion is harrowing.

MAL Profile

Kaysow
Bardiel
Bardiel

•      
  •      

Postby Kaysow » Sat May 05, 2007 10:56 am

<Insert post that was relevant to both topics.>

C4 Sat May 05, 2007 2:58 am

Executor wrote:Yeah, they went down the shitter with Advent Children, which is nothing more than stupid fan service, and it cheapens the story of the origional game, too(With Sephiroth coming back.)

I want so badly to say, "You are out of your mind," but that would be unnecessarily insulting, and doesn't lead to an agreeable environment, so I'm not going to say it. But I might spell it out in sign language after I type this post. But seriously, my friend(die-hard FFVII fan, "greatest game of all time", etc.) and I both loved the hell out of that movie. Not only that, but we watched it on several occasions with people who weren't familiar at all with FFVII, and the reaction was unanimously positive. Obviously, the people who weren''t familiar with the game didn't know what to expect at all, but we gave 'em the rundown; Advent Children isn't that complex a movie plotwise; it's easy to explain. It's a gorgeous movie, has amazing fight scenes, a class-S soundtrack, and good voice acting(Japanese, not that dry heave of a dub). It gives you all you can reasonably expect for what it is. And of course Sephiroth is going to come back, he is one of the standout elements in the game, and one of the most famous characters in all of video games(yes, there are a lot more ahead of him, but he's up there), so he has to come back; introducing an entirely new enemy would be particularly weak considering that this movie is a sequel to a game which devotes some 25+ hours to building up Sephiroth as its principal villain. But alas, to each his own, some people like to drink buttermilk, and I can't stand that shit.

<start Kaysow's post, in response to C4's>

OK, you're asking for it.

I played FFVII in 1998 as my first RPG ever, and I fell in love. Spent a decade obsessing and analyzing the shit out of it, idolizing it's creators and sighing happily whenever thinking about it.

With FFVIII came sort of a letdown that didn't get to me. It just wasn't as great.
With FFIX came indifference and the notion that Final Fantasy may not be for me anymore.
With FFX came doubt. What in fuck's name is going on here?
And with Advent Children it all came crashing down.

How in hell can the crafters of such a wondrous work of art have produced the rancid heap of dickcheese? At first, I was content with the eyecandy, but rewatching it, it is absolutely deplorable! All the characters are inconceivable and devoid of any human qualities, and everyone's favorite part is where the Compilation of FFVII starts picking apart the original work, retconning and belittling it's former glory.

Issue A: Tetsuya Nomura is a fucking dolt. The Japanese have unhealthy ideals, we all know that, and this fucker is trying to spread his filth abroad. Did you notice the clothes they wore in FFX and FFX-2? That's it, yeah. Fun at first, but then his ego inflated into gargantuan proportions and the madman was allowed free creative control over every project he touched.
As for unhealthy ideals; I submit to you that androgynity is not something to strive for, and it's definitively not something I wanted to see spill over into FFVII. But it did. And Cloud Strife is now, by all accounts, a woman. And Sephiroth, once voted the greatest villain ever, can't seem to hold off the mascara.
So Nomura can be blamed for just about everything that's gone wrong with Square-Enix.
Did you play Dirge of Cerberus? Good, don't. Unless you're a big fan of DMC and Gackt, which I'm not. What little I've seen of it, it's made up of a lot of spikes, cape, gritty shitty voice-acting and Vincent posing even in his sleep. Asian "cool" just don't do it for me anymore. Less is more, motherfucker.

And what asshole was it that decided to market the compilation to the younger and dumber generation of consumers(Yes, I'll call it that)? Did they not realize what what would happen when the old fans saw what they were up to? I was 14 in 1998, so simple mathematics tells you that fans like me were 21 around 2005, Advent Children's release. And aimed at 20-year olds it is NOT. Nuh-uh, not even a teeny bit. It's actually just embarrasing to watch as a grown man. Are you telling me they couldn't have reached some sort of compromise that would have pleased both squads of fans alike?
No, I tell you. They couldn't, because this is their now exposed scope of imagination. We now see Nomura and Square clearly for what they are, and in giving us this oppurtunity, we are also led towards a simple, yet ultimately TERRIFYING conclusion;

These cocksuckers gave us Final Fantasy Seven.

Makes you wanna puke.

That was 3 years ago. The few of my friends who played Final Fantasy VII, I discouraged them from watching the movie. Just the other week, I finally watched it with my best friend. Would you think our reaction was unanimously positive?
Worse than Resident Evil: Apocalypse and Death Race 2000 combined.

EDIT: Case in point, what I meant with the conclusion; "These cocksuckers gave us Final Fantasy Seven" is of course that if the statement is true, logic tells us that we have wasted a decade as fanboys of something ultimately false and shallow. So with Advent Children, Nomura and his wretched staff of man-slaves actually managed to travel back in time and destroy the original FFVII that was placed high up on the pedestal for almost 10 years.

And that, kiddies, is why I fear for Anno now.

EDIT2: This rant is brought to you devoid of resistance. I just tried to summarize the greater points against AC. For further reading, please avert your attention hither;
http://evageeks.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1724&start=0

Or here;
http://www.ffwa.org/forums/showthread.php?t=60862&highlight=advent+children
Last edited by Kaysow on Sat May 05, 2007 11:12 am, edited 2 times in total.
If I have no soul to touch, no heart to love, no evil to rise up above
No angels and no ghosts, no real victories to toast
If you believe that this is true then I must ask;
to what end do you proceed?

-Dustin Kensrue, Thrice

BrikHaus
Dokutah Tenma
Dokutah Tenma

•      
  •      

Postby BrikHaus » Sat May 05, 2007 11:29 am

Kaysow wrote:Advent Children hate.

I didn't really hate AC, but I was very disappointed. Don't get me wrong, it's bad. Really bad. Michael Bay bad. So bad I actually fell asleep during one of the action scenes. However, the disappointment must stem from the lack of a story, good acting (the Japanese does suck just as much as the English, by the way, for you weaboos out there), and the feeling that you can't shake...that you're watching a movie that's entirely CGI. CGI should be so good that you forget it's CGI. Here, it's noticeable all the time. The game FFVII set the bar too high, and nothing could really live up to that. The previous FF movie "Spirits Within" looked ten times better than "AC" as they went for a realistic look instead of an annoying androgynous look. I suppose it's all of those little bits put together that make this movie ho-hum. The only reason it made any profit at all was thanks to nostalgia from people who loved the game. It is incomprehensible to anyone else.
Awesomely Shitty
-On EMF, as a thread becomes longer, the likelihood that fem-Kaworu will be mentioned increases exponentially.
-the only English language novel actually being developed in parallel to its Japanese version involving a pan-human Soviet in a galactic struggle to survive and to export the communist utopia/revolution to all the down trodden alien class and race- one of the premise being that Khrushchev remains and has abandoned Lysenko stupidity

Kaysow
Bardiel
Bardiel

•      
  •      

Postby Kaysow » Sat May 05, 2007 11:41 am

This is what I do on the internet; rip on Tetsuya Nomura =)

Also, agreed on Spirits Within. Not a great movie, but way better than AC.
If I have no soul to touch, no heart to love, no evil to rise up above
No angels and no ghosts, no real victories to toast
If you believe that this is true then I must ask;
to what end do you proceed?

-Dustin Kensrue, Thrice

Executor
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Executor » Sat May 05, 2007 11:50 am

C4 wrote:
Executor wrote:Yeah, they went down the shitter with Advent Children, which is nothing more than stupid fan service, and it cheapens the story of the origional game, too(With Sephiroth coming back.)

I want so badly to say, "You are out of your mind," but that would be unnecessarily insulting, and doesn't lead to an agreeable environment, so I'm not going to say it. But I might spell it out in sign language after I type this post. But seriously, my friend(die-hard FFVII fan, "greatest game of all time", etc.) and I both loved the hell out of that movie. Not only that, but we watched it on several occasions with people who weren't familiar at all with FFVII, and the reaction was unanimously positive. Obviously, the people who weren''t familiar with the game didn't know what to expect at all, but we gave 'em the rundown; Advent Children isn't that complex a movie plotwise; it's easy to explain. It's a gorgeous movie, has amazing fight scenes, a class-S soundtrack, and good voice acting(Japanese, not that dry heave of a dub). It gives you all you can reasonably expect for what it is. And of course Sephiroth is going to come back, he is one of the standout elements in the game, and one of the most famous characters in all of video games(yes, there are a lot more ahead of him, but he's up there), so he has to come back; introducing an entirely new enemy would be particularly weak considering that this movie is a sequel to a game which devotes some 25+ hours to building up Sephiroth as its principal villain. But alas, to each his own, some people like to drink buttermilk, and I can't stand that shit.

Well, no duh that Sephiroth was a decent villian. You see, I'm not saying ALL of Final Fantasy seven is shit, I just dont really like Advent Children.(And some of their fanboys, not counting you, C4, are even more fucking annoying than the Naruto fanbois.)
Another thing I absolutly hated about Advent Children was the english cast... sounded... so sleepy. But, on the positive side, the animation was excellent, and, I do have to admit, The last fight between Cloud and Sephiroth was class, till the end, with the now-completly fucked over OMNISLASH MEGA TEN SWORD 5000!!!11+shift shit.
Dont get me wrong, I loved both FF7 and FF8 verymuch, I just do not like the route that Soure has taken with FF7. And FF8 is now outright ignored.

Kaysow, excellent points you brought up, first, and second posts. I always thought that Spirits within took too much flak, when it really was a quality, entertaing movie.

Kaminoyouni
Zeruel
Zeruel

•      
  •      

Postby Kaminoyouni » Sat May 05, 2007 1:09 pm

"Spirits within" was a total rip off of VII's story.
Proud Member of F.A.P.
"A twenty-nine year-old woman having her way with a fourteen year-old boy? This is perversion! This is ephebophilia!"
"Ephebophelia...? This is SHOTA!"

WARNING: Brik is being incredibly awesome

Join the Evageeks discord!

Executor
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Executor » Sat May 05, 2007 2:23 pm

Kaminoyouni wrote:"Spirits within" was a total rip off of VII's story.

I call bullshit, unless you want to explain as to why Spirits Within is a total rip off of FF7's story.

Zkh
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Zkh » Sat May 05, 2007 2:33 pm

I never liked Final Fantasy, I was more of a Secret of Mana kind of guy.
Then I discovered the internet and how popular FF7 is, then I tried it and it was pretty average, now my hate for it burns with a fiery passion.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sat May 05, 2007 2:36 pm

Zkh wrote:I never liked Final Fantasy, I was more of a Secret of Mana kind of guy.

That game was fun. Glitchy as all hell, but fun.

Then I discovered the internet and how popular FF7 is, then I tried it and it was pretty average, now my hate for it burns with a fiery passion.

That's a terrible waste of hate.

Executor wrote:I call bullshit, unless you want to explain as to why Spirits Within is a total rip off of FF7's story.

BECAUSE, LIKE, LIFESTREAM, AND GIANT ROCK FROM OUTER SPACE, AND STUFF.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Zkh
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Zkh » Sat May 05, 2007 2:47 pm

Reichu wrote:That's a terrible waste of hate.

I have plenty of hate to go around.

Plenty.

Executor
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Executor » Sat May 05, 2007 3:27 pm

Reichu wrote:
BECAUSE, LIKE, LIFESTREAM, AND GIANT ROCK FROM OUTER SPACE, AND STUFF.

Yes yes, thats nice and all, but, last I checked, there wasent a bad guy like sephiroth, nor any over-arching plots about destroying the world, and shite.Yes, my memory is probley faulty, because I havent seen it in a few years. But it really doesnt seem similer to FF7.
EDIT:Let me explain why I have disdain for FF7 fans, while I have some time. I really don like FF7 fanbois, because, uh, they are a reason why FF8 is treated as a shitty game, when it isent at all(IMO, of course). This is a transcript of why I fucking hate these doltshits.

Retard: cloud ftwlolz

Me(Who shall be refered to as Tyrant, since this is the only server where I dont have the Tyrant moniker.):Explain, sir.

Retard: cloud ftw lolz, he benats teh squall suckzor! lolz

Tyrant: Squall's lionheart attack does 180,000 ingame, which can kill almost every boss instanly. Also, Squall arguably faced a tougher opponet in Ultimecia, than Cloud did in Sephiroth.

Retard:jOO teh suckzor lolz i pwn you at halo

Tyrant: Wat a minute, how did this get on the subject of Halo? This was about Final Fantasy!

Retard: Im a master at ni9e

Tyrant:This is why I never let kids play on my servers

Retard: joo pusasdsay roflmao.

Tyrant:*sigh* Let's roll, bitch.

(After a round of Halo on the PC, in slayer, where I pwn the fucker 188-14, the following exchange takes place:

Retard:joo cheteards lolz

Tyrant: No, you just suck at Halo. Seriosly, who charges into a fucking rocket at point blank?

Retard: jOO suck at FF7 I's beant in 2o hou4s

Tyrant: Uh, I beat it in sixteen hours. Seriosly, this is starting to piss me off.

Part two of this oh-so scitilating exchange in a few hours
Last edited by Executor on Sat May 05, 2007 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BrikHaus
Dokutah Tenma
Dokutah Tenma

•      
  •      

Postby BrikHaus » Sat May 05, 2007 3:31 pm

Zkh wrote:I never liked Final Fantasy, I was more of a Secret of Mana kind of guy.

Chrono Trigger was the one RPG to rule them all.
Awesomely Shitty

Executor
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Executor » Sat May 05, 2007 3:46 pm

BrikHaus wrote:

Chrono Trigger was the one RPG to rule them all.

666!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11111111111111
0D

Tokpile Quohog
Marquis Tokpile de Boîtes
Marquis Tokpile de Boîtes

•      
  •      

Postby Tokpile Quohog » Sat May 05, 2007 3:59 pm

I find ff7 to be extremely overrated. Seriously, I don't understand why some people worship the game. The story wasn't that amazing, Sephiroth wasn't that great of an evil guy the battle system wasn't revolutionary. I'm not a ff7 hater, I beat the game thoroughly and stuff and enjoyed it but it's a good game not godlike.

Oh and ff7 fanbois are some of the worst out there.

FF tactics is what I think is the best FF ever. Not that tactics advance shit they have on the gameboy.

@Brikhaus
congrats on your post count.
TheEvaMonkey: I HATE BEING A FAT CHICK

Kaminoyouni
Zeruel
Zeruel

•      
  •      

Postby Kaminoyouni » Sat May 05, 2007 4:52 pm

i'm a ff7 fan but i find myself agreeing with you. i thought FFT was kick ass too. i saw tid bits of that chrono trigger game and though it was pretty neat and i'd play it if it didn't look so DBZish.
Proud Member of F.A.P.
"A twenty-nine year-old woman having her way with a fourteen year-old boy? This is perversion! This is ephebophilia!"
"Ephebophelia...? This is SHOTA!"

WARNING: Brik is being incredibly awesome

Join the Evageeks discord!

Return to “Video Games and Gaming”