Gurren Lagann Countdown!

This is for the non-Eva goings on at Gainax, both old and new.

Moderator: Board Staff

NAveryW
Insect Politician
Insect Politician

•      
  •      

Postby NAveryW » Sun May 27, 2007 6:14 pm

I recently returned from Gainax's Gurren-Lagann panel. I didn't bring my video camera this time, so I'm typing this from memory.

First, they showed the episode one of Gurren-Lagann without subtitles, but I'm pretty sure almost everyone there had already seen it fansubbed. After the episode was over, Hiroyuki Yamaga said, "If you want to see what happens next... I don't care, watch a fansub or something." So there you go: WE ARE FULLY AUTHORIZED TO DOWNLOAD GURREN-LAGANN. Then, people could ask Yamaga about the show.

Some of the important statements follow:

-Because of the bad reaction to episode four, there will not be any more experiments with the animation style.

-The planet Gurren-Lagann takes place on is Earth in the future.

-The mole pig stampede (one of Yamaga's favorite scenes, and mine as well), the crazy-looking animals, and the Gainax cameos were not scripted the way they ended up, but were the results of the animators going crazy.

-Apparently, in Japan, "boys like drills".

-If it is popular enough, Gurren-Lagann may be picked up for a second season after its initial run is over.

-And, finally, someone asked, "Is Yoko really 14?" to much laughter and applause. Yamaga responded that "As the series takes place underground, time may be measured differently. So a year underground may be different from what we consider to be a year." That was met with the most cheering I had heard at the panel yet. Personally, I think it's the best non-committal answer I've ever heard.

So, using a calculator, if you want to think of Yoko as 18, that would make Kamina almost 22 by surface standards. That seems about right Still, Simon is the same age as Yoko, and he really doesn't seem to be 18 to me. 16, tops.
"Today?... hmm... today... right... Um... I'm just gonna wing it." -Guess who

Defectron
Tentacle Girl
Tentacle Girl

•      
  •      

Postby Defectron » Sun May 27, 2007 11:24 pm

The thread about the episode on /a/ last night had plenty(or maybe just one) douche bags crying because episode 9 is 'emo' and that the series will turn to shit. I guess one episode of people being sad over KAMINA is too low for them.

Wha? But next to ep 8 I think this has got to be my fave episode, crazy Simon was awsome.
Parasite Galaxy: An experimental webcomic

http://www.parasitegalaxy.com/ Updates Monday and Thursday. Vote for me on top webcomics

If you want to support this comic buy something from me on amazon

cat42
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby cat42 » Mon May 28, 2007 2:13 am

I just finished ep 9. Gurren-Lagann is now officially one of GAINAX's best works in my opinion. The only one that is definately above it is Eva, but it is now (in my book) close to (if not at) the Level of FLCL and Gunbuster 2 in its level of pure awesome.

I could buy that Yoko is 16.

And I dunno, it seems to me that they are still experimenting with the animation in ep. 9. I truly hope they continue to do so.
"...I follow you both online and offline, and I am a 4-dimensional manifestation of absolute evil..." - Reichu-tachi
"In all cases, eventually it becomes necessary to decide to 'deliberately betray the fans.'" - Yoji Enokido
I believe in the director of Eva 1.11.

Tokpile Quohog
Marquis Tokpile de Boîtes

•      
  •      

Postby Tokpile Quohog » Mon May 28, 2007 2:30 am

OMG, OMG, OMG!!! I haven't felt this giddy since they announced Ludacris was going to perform at UCR!!! Just kidding, I don't give a shit about some black guy talking about shooting up guys and f**king hoes or telling us to get stupid (I don't even get what this means).

Anyways, in the middle of dl'ing said greatness. I'll be back with some comments which probably wouldn't benefit any argument or discussion in any way.
TheEvaMonkey: I HATE BEING A FAT CHICK

Zkh
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Zkh » Mon May 28, 2007 12:37 pm

I'm a black guy who shoots up guys and f**ks hoes and I tell people to get stupid all the time. You just offended the shit out of me. I demand a public apology.

P.S. What the hell are they going to do with a second season? I'm hoping the universe explodes after Simon becomes Space Captain GARlock.

Tokpile Quohog

•      
  •      

Postby Tokpile Quohog » Mon May 28, 2007 8:20 pm

Zkh wrote:I'm a black guy who shoots up guys and f**ks hoes and I tell people to get stupid all the time. You just offended the shit out of me. I demand a public apology.

I'm sorry sir, please don't waste an entire magazine trying to "cap" my mother. :(

Oh, and episode 9 was awesome. WATCH IT PEOPLE!!!

cat42
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby cat42 » Mon May 28, 2007 9:19 pm

NAveryW wrote:I recently returned from Gainax's Gurren-Lagann panel. I didn't bring my video camera this time, so I'm typing this from memory.

Random question, was anything there said about Eva?
"...I follow you both online and offline, and I am a 4-dimensional manifestation of absolute evil..." - Reichu-tachi
"In all cases, eventually it becomes necessary to decide to 'deliberately betray the fans.'" - Yoji Enokido
I believe in the director of Eva 1.11.

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Tue May 29, 2007 3:34 am

Ah, Lord Kamina will be missed. But a true man never fails, not even in death.

I'm loving the fact that FINALLY Simon is front and center of the story. I loved Kamina but the guy was a black hole who sucked up the attention from everyone else.

Nia is pure LOVE! I think it might be safe to say she's the downright cutest emaciated GAINAX girl yet (I give it a week before you hear of Yoko and Nia doujinshi). The story looks like its opening up to be more epic (if not a little less manly at the moment).

Interesting- the Spiral King looks very human. Could he be a man playing GOD!!!!

And yes- Viral will be coming back (he's in the slightly changed opening and is the lower left hand corner when they show the baddies. Looks like he might be given some kind've mini-cape. So far Viral is THE Kickass badguy of the show and I really hope he's not too far shoved to the side to make room for the remaining three generals.

And am I the only one who loves Darry's (or is it Gimmy's?) doll. That thing changes expressions so much it's loveably creepy!

P.S. I think Viral's Ganmen gets another facelift. You can kinda see it the opening. Almost looks like it has 4 arms.

P.S.S. SO far, as much as I love Gunbuster, Diebustere, FLCL, His and Her, and the like, Gurren-Lagaan is number 2 of my fave Gainax work behind Eva. For what it lacks in the character complexity it makes up for up in story and balls!

Tokpile Quohog

•      
  •      

Postby Tokpile Quohog » Tue May 29, 2007 12:58 pm

Well, Yoko's skull pin changes expressions.....sometimes.

NAveryW
Insect Politician
Insect Politician

•      
  •      

Postby NAveryW » Tue May 29, 2007 9:52 pm

cat42 wrote:
NAveryW wrote:I recently returned from Gainax's Gurren-Lagann panel. I didn't bring my video camera this time, so I'm typing this from memory.

Random question, was anything there said about Eva?

No, there were only questions about Gurren-Lagann. However, there was a previous Gainax panel that was a Q&A for anything Gainax. I got that one on film. One person asked if there was any news about the new Eva movies. Yamaga said that he knew he would get that question, but he's not personally affiliated with the movie, not being a part of Studio Khara/Color/???, and doesn't know much about its status. He did, however, hand out free Wevangeliwon posters, and I got mine autographed.

Seriously, though. If he said anything about the Eva movies, I would have posted it as soon as I got back from the con.

NAveryW
Insect Politician
Insect Politician

•      
  •      

Postby NAveryW » Tue May 29, 2007 11:08 pm

I just saw episode nine. Particular notes:

-This is probably the first time I've ever seen a robot vomit.

-"Kimochi warui no desu ka?" apparently means "It would be creepy?" Does that mean Asuka's final line could have YET ANOTHER meaning, or was the translation.. erm... tweaked a bit?

-The girl's name is "Nia". Does that mean that in English, it should translate to "Near" (a la the Death Note character), or is it still just Nia?

-Is it just me, or is the art style slightly different again?

-This episode actually seemed rather Evangeliesque... what with the darker tone, and the wanting to pilot the robot and can't, "Simon! Simon, where are you?! We need Gurren-Lagann!", etc.

-The bumps have gotten kind of Powerpuffy, haven't they?

BrikHaus
Dokutah Tenma
Dokutah Tenma

•      
  •      

Postby BrikHaus » Tue May 29, 2007 11:50 pm

NAveryW wrote:"Kimochi warui no desu ka?" apparently means "It would be creepy?" Does that mean Asuka's final line could have YET ANOTHER meaning, or was the translation.. erm... tweaked a bit?

Not really another meaning. The problem is that this really has no direct English equivalent. The closest daily use approximation of saying "kimochi warui" would be something like, "That's gross." So, the translation they used probably makes sense, although I haven't watched the actual scene.
Awesomely Shitty
-"That purace has more badassu maddafaakas zan supermax spaceland."
-On EMF, as a thread becomes longer, the likelihood that fem-Kaworu will be mentioned increases exponentially.
-the only English language novel actually being developed in parallel to its Japanese version involving a pan-human Soviet in a galactic struggle to survive and to export the communist utopia/revolution to all the down trodden alien class and race- one of the premise being that Khrushchev remains and has abandoned Lysenko stupidity

Zkh
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Zkh » Wed May 30, 2007 1:32 pm

NAveryW wrote:Is it just me, or is the art style slightly different again?

It seemed to fit the episode. Although it was different... Yoko's breasts were smaller.

NAveryW
Insect Politician
Insect Politician

•      
  •      

Postby NAveryW » Wed May 30, 2007 1:41 pm

Zkh wrote:
NAveryW wrote:Is it just me, or is the art style slightly different again?

It seemed to fit the episode. Although it was different... Yoko's breasts were smaller.

In the future, breast size peaks at age 14.

Trigger's Elysium
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Trigger's Elysium » Wed May 30, 2007 1:45 pm

Is it just me, or is the Sprial King really Jet Black?
He was warrior and mystic, ogre and saint, the fox and the innocent, chivalrous, ruthless, less than a god, more than a man. There is no measuring Muad'Dib's motives by ordinary standards. In the moment of his triumph, he saw the death prepared for him, yet he accepted the treachery. Can you say he did this out of a sense of justice? Whose justice, then? Remember, we speak now of the Muad'Dib who ordered battle drums made from his enemies' skins, the Muad'Dib who denied the conventions of his ducal past with a wave of the hand, saying merely: "I am the Kwisatz Haderach. That is reason enough."

CorporalChaos
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby CorporalChaos » Thu May 31, 2007 3:57 am

Hmm...sounds like a good show. I'll have to go dig it up...

(I tend to jump on the bandwagon late...so it may be another month or two)
Occam's Razor: The simplest explanation is generally the correct one.
Essel's Corollary: The simplest explanation is never the fanon one.

slothen
First Ancestral Sloth
First Ancestral Sloth

•      
  •      

Postby slothen » Thu May 31, 2007 5:06 am

mecha is lame.
God, Apparently you all have been discussing Q since November. Catching up on the discussion is harrowing.

MAL Profile

NAveryW
Insect Politician
Insect Politician

•      
  •      

Postby NAveryW » Thu May 31, 2007 12:08 pm

slothen wrote:mecha is lame.

QFT (acronymfinder.com's ninth definition)

Zkh
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Zkh » Thu May 31, 2007 1:30 pm

slothen wrote:mecha is lame.

Naruto avatar.

slothen
First Ancestral Sloth
First Ancestral Sloth

•      
  •      

Postby slothen » Thu May 31, 2007 2:27 pm

You got me. :lol:
God, Apparently you all have been discussing Q since November. Catching up on the discussion is harrowing.

MAL Profile

Return to “Gaina[x] Stuff”