Rebuild 2.0 Trailer on Youtube

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
TriLink
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby TriLink » Mon Sep 24, 2007 8:47 pm

Asuka's probably the second most important character in the show next to Shinji, which is saying something, seeing as how she wasn't even in the first 7 or so episodes.

Truth be told, I'd like to get rid of Ritsuko more than anyone. Something tells me she'll be underdeveloped as a character in Rebuild anyway, but I digress.
" Just one question America...WHO IS FUCKING OUR PING PONG BALLS!?" -Dr.Stephen T Colbert DFA

Anonymous_Evafan
Minion
Minion

•      
  •      

Postby Anonymous_Evafan » Mon Sep 24, 2007 8:59 pm

UrsusArctos wrote:Well, if you get your wish there would be nobody to say "Anta Baka" or "Baka-Shinji". And I'd miss that.

I wouldn't, that crap was really annoying. As was Asuka's attitude in general.

TriLink12 wrote:Asuka's probably the second most important character in the show next to Shinji

She wasn't important at all until EoE. Before that she was just there making annoying quips and contributing nothing of value to the story as a whole.

TriLink
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby TriLink » Mon Sep 24, 2007 9:29 pm

Anonymous_Evafan wrote:
TriLink12 wrote:Asuka's probably the second most important character in the show next to Shinji
She wasn't important at all until EoE. Before that she was just there making annoying quips and contributing nothing of value to the story as a whole.

Valid point I guess, but if that's the way your going to look at it, Rei wasn't all that important either. Up until Rei II's death scene, she really just dropped off the face of the earth. Never mind the fact that she's really more of a plot device than an actual "character" IMO.

As for those "annoying quips" you speak of, I thought they were crazy awesome, but that's just me. Tomato, Tomahto, right?
" Just one question America...WHO IS FUCKING OUR PING PONG BALLS!?" -Dr.Stephen T Colbert DFA

Anonymous_Evafan
Minion
Minion

•      
  •      

Postby Anonymous_Evafan » Mon Sep 24, 2007 9:50 pm

TriLink12 wrote:Valid point I guess, but if that's the way your going to look at it, Rei wasn't all that important either. Up until Rei II's death scene, she really just dropped off the face of the earth. Never mind the fact that she's really more of a plot device than an actual "character" IMO.

As for those "annoying quips" you speak of, I thought they were crazy awesome, but that's just me. Tomato, Tomahto, right?

Rei was always important weather we knew it or not as she was the key to Gendo's plans. Asuka on the other hand just bitched and bragged and did little to back up that bragging. The more I delve into Asuka's mind the more I despise her. She is nothing more than a narcissistic bully that needed to be humbled badly and couldn't take when she was. Look at it another way, would you think those one liners were funny if they were directed at you or one of your friends?

TriLink
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby TriLink » Mon Sep 24, 2007 10:54 pm

ZOMG Tangent! Post here and get a free Xbox 360!

http://evageeks.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=93368#93368

Now, getting back on topic...

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Mon Sep 24, 2007 11:12 pm

I wouldn't say Asuka was 2nd. More likely 3rd.

The series has always struck me as being centrally about Shinji and Misato. I'm sure if someone out there tested the amount of screentime they had and time given solely to them it'd be pretty close if not a tie (up till the final TV ep and EOE of course).

Asuka and Ritsuko to me are the next big leads. Ritsuko gets a huge amount of focus on her character and she's one of my favorites in the cast but she doesn't get that much attention for some ungodly reason (proprably the bleach hair....men felt cheated).

As for Rei. In terms of character importance she's huge. The way I feel about Rei is she's a character who says very much with very little. She's a more subtle character than Asuka and as far as favorites for me goes she's number 2 right behind Shinji.

P.S. Anyone notice in the wicked "Angel of DOOOOOOM!" video on youtube that everyone's favorite FOURTH Bridge Bunny makes an appearance. She's like the only other chick with semi-identifiable features. She's in the background in some of the early parts of the series and then disappears (except for one shot in Bardiel).
Even the smallest of fan service is out there cause you know some guy is like "Bridge Bunny 4 is the hottest Eva chick!"

THE Hal E. Burton 9000
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby THE Hal E. Burton 9000 » Mon Sep 24, 2007 11:17 pm

^ what he said ^

chee
EGF Hate Machine
EGF Hate Machine

•      
  •      

Postby chee » Mon Sep 24, 2007 11:43 pm

Bridge Bunny Four forever.

...My god, that sounds like some kind of incredibly epic fighting force consisting of the four identifiable bridge bunnies.

BobBQ
Dyskolos
Dyskolos

•      
  •      

Postby BobBQ » Tue Sep 25, 2007 12:07 am

Chikuma's still in? Cool.

UrsusArctos
The Beginning and The End

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Tue Sep 25, 2007 1:43 am

Is that her name? Chikuma?

I think I know which of the bunnies this is...she's also out with Maya in the mobile headquarters on Futago, and sitting in the very front when Ritsuko discusses Leliel. And she's closest to the camera in the shot of the bridge bunnies looking horrified at seeing what Sho's really like.

And she's brunette. Right?
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
Not knowing that Monk is bi is like not knowing the Pope is Catholic - ZapX
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

BobBQ
Dyskolos
Dyskolos

•      
  •      

Postby BobBQ » Tue Sep 25, 2007 6:50 am

UrsusArctos wrote:Is that her name? Chikuma?

Chikuma Izumi.

It's a fanon name, coined by yours truly. Hasn't seen widespread use, but it'll hopefully stick over time.

I think I know which of the bunnies this is...she's also out with Maya in the mobile headquarters on Futago, and sitting in the very front when Ritsuko discusses Leliel. And she's closest to the camera in the shot of the bridge bunnies looking horrified at seeing what Sho's really like.

Sounds about right.

ungenesis
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby ungenesis » Tue Sep 25, 2007 9:22 am

BobBQ wrote:Chikuma Izumi.

It's a fanon name, coined by yours truly. Hasn't seen widespread use, but it'll hopefully stick over time.

Like "Akira"? :)

BobBQ
Dyskolos
Dyskolos

•      
  •      

Postby BobBQ » Tue Sep 25, 2007 10:01 am

ungenesis wrote:Like "Akira"? :)

Not really; I just needed a handle for the character and that seemed like a good one. It also combines two Japanese naval vessel designations, so it fits with established tradition.

UrsusArctos

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Tue Sep 25, 2007 6:56 pm

Ah, so it does. Chikuma Izumi indeed! Neat, BobBQ. :lol:
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
Not knowing that Monk is bi is like not knowing the Pope is Catholic - ZapX
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

Rommel
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Rommel » Wed Sep 26, 2007 6:06 pm

Anonymous_Evafan wrote:
UrsusArctos wrote:Well, if you get your wish there would be nobody to say "Anta Baka" or "Baka-Shinji". And I'd miss that.

I wouldn't, that crap was really annoying. As was Asuka's attitude in general.

To say that she wasn't important is to say that Evangelion was about a planet full of unicorns. From your point of view, Shinji isn't important to the story either because it was all 'ZOMG Yui!!!!1111'. You ignore the fact that Eva deals with damaged people, and that for all its flashy explosion it is the characters flawed and annoying as you might think they are--and trust me your opinion, as mine, matters to absolutely no one--that have made it into the success that it is a decade later.

Anonymous_Evafan
Minion
Minion

•      
  •      

Postby Anonymous_Evafan » Wed Sep 26, 2007 6:15 pm

There were plenty of other people to do introspection with. Eva could easily have been done without Asuka being there. I certainly wouldn't have been the same, but it that necessarily a bad thing?

Rommel
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Rommel » Wed Sep 26, 2007 7:05 pm

But you can say that about pretty much every character. For example, Misato was no more necessary as a mother figure to Shinji than Asuka was as someone who could force his growth, though that is something he doesn't really do. Being close, both physically (boobies) and emotionally to Shinji, who is the main character, makes her important in as much as the context of character development is concerned (in the same way as Kaoru) because she affects the way in which he matures, positively and negatively, and represents yet another person for him to see himself through. And since Asuka is the yang to Rei's yin, that added perspective, I think, is in itself an act of complementation.

CitizenGeek
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby CitizenGeek » Thu Sep 27, 2007 11:02 am

Damn :[ The video's been taken down, due to copyright.
I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf mutes.

marmotgirl
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby marmotgirl » Thu Sep 27, 2007 12:22 pm

Did anyone happen to lift it while it was up there?
"Dude, it's not that I don't think you're cool or anything but the fact is that that guy is driving a Big Red GTO and you're pissing about in an enraged banana."

n00dle
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby n00dle » Fri Sep 28, 2007 6:15 pm

In addition to Izumi, anybody else notice that "out of place mustache dude" is also in the Rebuild?

Don't know about "random tech d00d" yet though...we can only hope.
Gone away

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”