Just who is Shinji Destined for?

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mr. Tines » Sun Feb 11, 2007 5:31 pm

@Sailor Star Dust
I don't think I can adequately respond without getting slapped by Reichu.

So book a date in your calendar for June when I might be let off the leash for another short session.

Until then

NO COMMENTO
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Timstuff
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

Postby Timstuff » Sun Feb 11, 2007 10:12 pm

Well said SSS. And here's a nice AS pic to enjoy. :)

DeviantArt profile being re-invented... Check back later.

Anonymous_Evafan
Minion
Minion

Postby Anonymous_Evafan » Sun Feb 11, 2007 10:20 pm

Please, for the love of god, stop with this debate! Reichu already told us rather nicely to shut up about it already.

Mr. Tines wrote:So book a date in your calendar for June when I might be let off the leash for another short session.

Gee, another pointless debate, what a fun prospect. How about we don't, and say we did? Seriously!
Oh, but God forbid any of these theories have any validity! After all, we are just brainwashing innocent people with Reichu's fanclub propaganda!--Trigger's Elysium sarcasm for the masses!

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Postby Reichu » Sun Feb 11, 2007 10:34 pm

Anonymous_Evafan wrote:arguing with Mr. Tines about shipping is stupid

SERIOUSLY.

lol fixed

(It's not that we don't love you, Ojisan. It's just that seeing the same unflinching "preprogrammed response to every possible argument in opposing party's arsenal" routine, from the same person, across an extended time period and a multitude of different fan-geeks, is eventually destined to drive certain persons absolutely mad and motivate them to hunt you down and beat you with maggoty horse carcasses.

Reichu recommends having a convenient set of links as an alternative to endless and needless repetition.)
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mr. Tines » Mon Feb 12, 2007 7:49 am

Reichu wrote:
Anonymous_Evafan wrote:arguing with Mr. Tines about shipping is stupid

SERIOUSLY.

lol fixed

There are only two places where I have strong feelings about shipping, and the other one is that six years of no progress by the ferret is a Good Thing and long may it continue (lest it meet a dreadful Fate :twisted: ).

@Topic (and meta-topic)
Thinking of who Shinji might be destined for depends a great deal on what the Shinji in your mind is like, as well as the <destined character> in your mind, too. And, given EoE, what that might do to the array of possible characters to fill in that indefinite quantity (the "what if Misato comes back, but Kaji shuffled off this mortal coil too early to be collected?" type of scenario, for example).

Various go-rounds make it clear that there are some significant differences in the characters in my mind compared with the run-of-the-mill equivalents. And thus the fun begins.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Postby Reichu » Mon Feb 12, 2007 7:51 am

Mr. Tines wrote:Various go-rounds make it clear that there are some significant differences in the characters in my mind compared with the run-of-the-mill equivalents. And thus the fun begins.

Let's just drop it for now, plzkthx.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Anonymous_Evafan
Minion
Minion

Postby Anonymous_Evafan » Mon Feb 12, 2007 7:56 am

Reichu wrote:Image

Let's just drop it for now. Please.

Haha, that's what you get for that tweak of my post Image. I stand by my original sentiment on this matter.
AEF wrote:Gee, another pointless debate, what a fun prospect. How about we don't, and say we did? Seriously!
Oh, but God forbid any of these theories have any validity! After all, we are just brainwashing innocent people with Reichu's fanclub propaganda!--Trigger's Elysium sarcasm for the masses!

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mr. Tines » Mon Feb 12, 2007 8:57 am

Reichu--

Probably the best thing to do would be to split off this current (starting some time on 10-Feb) divergence and drop it into the graveyard. However, I don't think I am the person to do the task of sorting groupthink sheep from Tinish goats.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Mon Feb 12, 2007 3:04 pm

Timstuff wrote:Well said SSS. And here's a nice AS pic to enjoy. :)

It's SSD, but thanks anyway. ^^; Cute pic! ^_^

I have to go with AEF and Reichu. Let's just agree to disagree, mmkay?
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Trigger's Elysium
Lilin
Lilin

Postby Trigger's Elysium » Mon Feb 12, 2007 3:20 pm

No meaningful opinion on the matter here. I, uh...I take the against SxA long term as Tines does, I admit there was tension between the two, and as for the topic, I think it's hilarious <_<
He was warrior and mystic, ogre and saint, the fox and the innocent, chivalrous, ruthless, less than a god, more than a man. There is no measuring Muad'Dib's motives by ordinary standards. In the moment of his triumph, he saw the death prepared for him, yet he accepted the treachery. Can you say he did this out of a sense of justice? Whose justice, then? Remember, we speak now of the Muad'Dib who ordered battle drums made from his enemies' skins, the Muad'Dib who denied the conventions of his ducal past with a wave of the hand, saying merely: "I am the Kwisatz Haderach. That is reason enough."

Hunter21
Pilot
Pilot

Postby Hunter21 » Mon Feb 12, 2007 4:28 pm

I am posting in complete disregard to the topic as I am bored to death with it. My comment is about the picture Timstuff posted. It is a very good picture but why is Asuka's eyes purple? Is it just my monitor or was that how it was drawn. Image
EVANGERIONANIME is stupid

Come Join the Sakaki Fan Club!

Remember you're on Evageeks, where preset personal delusions outweigh reality.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Mon Feb 12, 2007 7:34 pm

Her eyes ARE purple. :shock: /OF-ness

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mr. Tines » Tue Feb 13, 2007 12:43 pm

NGE alludes to a number of cliches when it comes to the main character interactions

1) The classic triangle: Boy meets girl. Brash, glitzy, alluring rival appears. The original couple are torn apart. But eventually True Love triumphs and the unsuitable interloper is sent packing.

2) The classic mecha series: Cool and distant pilot and hot-shot ace vie for the affections of the ditzy girl.

3) Classic shoujo: Our heroine must decide between the mysterious and aloof boy, the bad boy, and the father figure.

... and possibly more

For the last two, the oft seen transgender pictures may be a result of an unwitting insight.

Part of the different "<character> in <viewer>'s mind" may result from different aspects of these standard formats being picked up on, with different weights associated to different cues.

Anonymous_Evafan
Minion
Minion

Postby Anonymous_Evafan » Tue Feb 13, 2007 8:02 pm

Mr. Tines wrote:Part of the different "<character> in <viewer>'s mind" may result from different aspects of these standard formats being picked up on, with different weights associated to different cues.

I'd argue it stems from our life experiences shaping the way we view the world. For instance, you see Shinji as the biggest waste of space in NGE were as I see Asuka as such. You have experiences that make you relate to Asuka and dislike Shinji while I have the opposite.

Timstuff
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

Postby Timstuff » Tue Feb 13, 2007 9:17 pm

I personally like both Shinji and Asuka, so I don't know what that would say about my personal experiences. But, I know it does mean that I want to see them happy in the end. Maybe that makes me a hopeless romantic. :P

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Tue Feb 13, 2007 9:50 pm

I'm most like Shinji, somewhat like Rei with my quietness (she's a lot more quiet than Shinji!) and only like Asuka in terms of wanting to be perfect (as well as the whole "I just want to feel loved/needed" deal, but I'm sure most of the characters can be described as wanting that)...

And yet, I like all three more or less equally. ^_^; Oh yeah, and Misato-san rocks!

Figure THAT one out! :wink:

Timstuff
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

Postby Timstuff » Wed Feb 14, 2007 12:58 am

I'd say I'm most like Misato... Messy, dissorganized, lives off of frozen dinners (but I CAN cook real dinners, mind you) and canned coffee (well, that was in later episodes, but I don't drink beer, so...), and often find myself lost and confused when my parents aren't around. Also, we were both born in 1986. ;)

She's gotten a lot more "action" than me though, and we're opposite genders, so maybe it's not the best comparison. I'm also like Asuka in that I'm loud, used to be very short tempered (when I was her age), and am part German. :P

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mr. Tines » Wed Feb 14, 2007 4:40 am

Anonymous_Evafan wrote:I'd argue it stems from our life experiences shaping the way we view the world.

That too.

Personally, I was going along track number 1 (the triangle), until the point in episode 16 where Asuka grabbed me by the lapels.

Anonymous_Evafan wrote:you see Shinji as the biggest waste of space in NGE

In NGE, Image, no more strong a feeling than "meh". In EoE, OTOH...

Timstuff wrote:I want to see them happy in the end.

Movie Shinji who can DIAF aside, I say the same. That's why I would like to see them with other people.

Anonymous_Evafan
Minion
Minion

Postby Anonymous_Evafan » Wed Feb 14, 2007 6:37 am

Mr. Tines wrote:Personally, I was going along track number 1 (the triangle), until the point in episode 16 where Asuka grabbed me by the lapels.

Not being a huge follower of Japanese anime I didn't fit in any of the cliche tracks you mentioned.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mr. Tines » Wed Feb 14, 2007 8:00 am

Anonymous_Evafan wrote:Not being a huge follower of romance fiction I didn't fit in any of the cliche tracks you mentioned.

Fixed your post

The triangle is found much more widely than in anime (or indeed than just in Japanese light fiction).

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”