Rebuild of Wevangeliwon #1 = September 1

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
THE Hal E. Burton 9000
Elder God
Elder God

Postby THE Hal E. Burton 9000 » Sat Apr 14, 2007 7:58 pm

If they do show it on the big screen stateside, my guess is it would be a limited release deal of less than 300 or so screens and only in the top 15 or 20 metropolitan areas at most. The only way there would be a "wide" release is if one of the major studios throws its weight behind the films in some sort of distribution deal for the U.S. market (i.e.: what Disney has done with Miyazaki's films). Although, if such a thing would happen, I am not certain if ADV would be involved in some way too.
- TEH Fabulous Hal E. Burton 9000

P.S. For those wanting to discuss a matter with yours truly not pertaining to the general topic at hand, PM me. Please and thank you.

Opteron-O3
Tabris
Tabris

Postby Opteron-O3 » Sat Apr 14, 2007 8:23 pm

I've heard they would do some modifying just to fit it into US standards... I've heard they call it "raping"...?

Anyways, I hope they choose around here :D
"The fate of destruction is also the joy of rebirth"
"The need is the justification, there are no other factors to consider."- Gendo Ikari

Myspace: http://www.myspace.com/willaym
Website to my NGE Essay: http://opteron-o3.angelfire.com/index.html

BrikHaus
Dokutah Tenma
Dokutah Tenma

Postby BrikHaus » Sat Apr 14, 2007 9:15 pm

It'll never be shown in a U.S. theater. Joe Moviegoer isn't very receptive to films with subtitles, and even less receptive to anime. So, anime with subtitles? Not happening.
Awesomely Shitty
-"That purace has more badassu maddafaakas zan supermax spaceland."
-On EMF, as a thread becomes longer, the likelihood that fem-Kaworu will be mentioned increases exponentially.
-the only English language novel actually being developed in parallel to its Japanese version involving a pan-human Soviet in a galactic struggle to survive and to export the communist utopia/revolution to all the down trodden alien class and race- one of the premise being that Khrushchev remains and has abandoned Lysenko stupidity

Ayana-Me
Adam

Postby Ayana-Me » Sat Apr 14, 2007 9:27 pm

Yeah, it most likely will never hit U.S. theaters. It makes me mad; they'll put Appleseed in theaters, but not the new Eva movies :roll:

Here's another horrifying thought: ADV will wait another 3 years to release the movies in any form so that they can use them as advanced press for their live action movie.

Szmitten
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

Postby Szmitten » Sun Apr 15, 2007 5:48 am

BECAUSE AMERICA IS THE ONLY PLACE WHERE ANIME ISN'T SHOWN IN CINEMAS RIGHT?

cat42
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

Postby cat42 » Sun Apr 15, 2007 2:47 pm

Wait, Ghost in the Shell 2 was shown in the theaters, and with subtitles.
"...I follow you both online and offline, and I am a 4-dimensional manifestation of absolute evil..." - Reichu-tachi
"In all cases, eventually it becomes necessary to decide to 'deliberately betray the fans.'" - Yoji Enokido
I believe in the director of Eva 1.11.

BrikHaus
Dokutah Tenma
Dokutah Tenma

Postby BrikHaus » Sun Apr 15, 2007 2:59 pm

cat42 wrote:Wait, Ghost in the Shell 2 was shown in the theaters, and with subtitles.

And just look at how much money it made!
Awesomely Shitty
-On EMF, as a thread becomes longer, the likelihood that fem-Kaworu will be mentioned increases exponentially.
-the only English language novel actually being developed in parallel to its Japanese version involving a pan-human Soviet in a galactic struggle to survive and to export the communist utopia/revolution to all the down trodden alien class and race- one of the premise being that Khrushchev remains and has abandoned Lysenko stupidity

Tokpile Quohog
Marquis Tokpile de Boîtes
Marquis Tokpile de Boîtes

Postby Tokpile Quohog » Sun Apr 15, 2007 3:03 pm

how much?
TheEvaMonkey: I HATE BEING A FAT CHICK

cat42
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

Postby cat42 » Sun Apr 15, 2007 3:07 pm

$2.50.
But, the Weva release will make $5.80! garunteed!
"...I follow you both online and offline, and I am a 4-dimensional manifestation of absolute evil..." - Reichu-tachi
"In all cases, eventually it becomes necessary to decide to 'deliberately betray the fans.'" - Yoji Enokido
I believe in the director of Eva 1.11.

BrikHaus
Dokutah Tenma
Dokutah Tenma

Postby BrikHaus » Sun Apr 15, 2007 3:12 pm

cat42 wrote:$2.50.

That's what you get for going to the matinee showing ;)
Awesomely Shitty

Ayana-Me
Adam

Postby Ayana-Me » Sun Apr 15, 2007 3:17 pm

Ghost in the Shell 2, according to Rotten Tomatoes, only made $856,451. And half of that was people thinking that they were seeing The Grudge.

However, its opening week average gross per theater was $6,760, which is about equal to the Grudge's average gross per theater during its second week. So GitS didn't do bad for the amount of theaters it was playing in. Also, I recall that it was shown at the Cannes Film Festival, which would be pretty sweet to see Eva at.

slothen
First Ancestral Sloth
First Ancestral Sloth

Postby slothen » Sun Apr 15, 2007 5:10 pm

Why should I care weather or not it'll be released in the US?
God, Apparently you all have been discussing Q since November. Catching up on the discussion is harrowing.

MAL Profile

BobBQ
Dyskolos
Dyskolos

Postby BobBQ » Sun Apr 15, 2007 5:23 pm

slothen wrote:Why should I care weather or not it'll be released in the US?

1: Watch Wevangelion.
2: Get Wevangelion introduced to wide foreign audience.
3: ???
4: PROFIT!!!

Opteron-O3
Tabris
Tabris

Postby Opteron-O3 » Sun Apr 15, 2007 5:51 pm

I think it'll be kick ass to see it on the big screen, but that's just me :D
"The need is the justification, there are no other factors to consider."- Gendo Ikari

BrikHaus
Dokutah Tenma
Dokutah Tenma

Postby BrikHaus » Sun Apr 15, 2007 6:26 pm

Opteron-O3 wrote:I think it'll be kick ass to see it on the big screen, but that's just me :D

Then you'd best buy your plane ticket to Japan now. Or maybe you already have?
Awesomely Shitty

Hunter21
Pilot
Pilot

Postby Hunter21 » Mon Apr 16, 2007 3:30 pm

Or just wait a week and you can watch the bootlegged version on a screen in China for half the cost. :P
EVANGERIONANIME is stupid

Come Join the Sakaki Fan Club!

Remember you're on Evageeks, where preset personal delusions outweigh reality.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Mon Apr 16, 2007 5:09 pm

Gainax image: Ummm..... :shock: If I were Asuka, I'd be cautious around those freaking things too. Both Rei & Asuka are cute in that though. ^_^

In terms of Webuild being in theaters, what about it being shown in select ones? Isn't that what happened with that Fullmetal Alchemist movie?? (I saw GiS2 in the theater (I haven't seen the first film or the series so I didn't quite get it), find it surprising it didn't make a lot of $$ considering every seat was taken.)

Isn't there already a topic around for figuring out what the 1st title YA(N)A means??
Last edited by Sailor Star Dust on Mon Apr 16, 2007 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

BrikHaus
Dokutah Tenma
Dokutah Tenma

Postby BrikHaus » Mon Apr 16, 2007 5:47 pm

Sailor Star Dust wrote:I saw GoS2 in the theater (I haven't seen the first film or the series so I didn't quite get it), find it surprising it didn't make a lot of $$ considering every seat was taken.)

But you live in California, with bigger cities, and with a larger asian population. In the Midwest (or rather the majority of America) this isn't the case, and it was not shown. I think only major metropolitan areas get anime movies in theaters.

Don't feel bad about not getting GitS2. Mamoru Oshii is a hack that is too in love with himself, and basset hounds, to direct something that isn't an overrated piece of shit (at least in relation to Ghost in the Shell). Bring on the flames :twisted:
Awesomely Shitty

Opteron-O3
Tabris
Tabris

Postby Opteron-O3 » Mon Apr 16, 2007 8:34 pm

BrikHaus81 wrote:
Opteron-O3 wrote:I think it'll be kick ass to see it on the big screen, but that's just me :D

Then you'd best buy your plane ticket to Japan now. Or maybe you already have?

If I could I would, but that'd be too much just to watch something I won't understand... *Looks at pretty images*

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Ornette » Mon Apr 16, 2007 11:21 pm

Opteron-O3 wrote:If I could I would, but that'd be too much just to watch something I won't understand... *Looks at pretty images*

Bouncing boobies is a universal language! I've made my preparations for watching it in Japan. I'm having my friend keep a watch on theatres/tickets for me.

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”