Rei's Birth

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

Rei's Birth

•      
  •      

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Mon Jun 18, 2007 4:41 pm

The more I was thinking about this the more I realized that one of the aspects of NGE I'm fuzziest on is that concerning the details behind Rei's birth. I'm quite sure there are dozens of topics on this, but YOU try typing "Rei" into the search engine. :evil:

What I (think I) know:

-Rei was born out of the attempted salvage of Yui from Sho.
-Rei contains Yui's body (because of the LCL inside Sho?), but Lilith's soul.

Now, the details I don't know:

-Why can't Rei's ATF hold its shape (as we see her falling apart in EoE)?
-Why/How were they able to "copy" Rei?
-How did they form the whole Dummy Plug System from her?

If anyone wants to post some relevent threads and lock this one, that would be okay. Or, just as preferably, answer these questions here...
Cinelogue & Forced Perspective Cinema
^ Writing as Jonathan Henderson ^
We're all adrift on the stormy seas of Evangelion, desperately trying to gather what flotsam can be snatched from the gale into a somewhat seaworthy interpretation so that we can at last reach the shores of reason and respite. - ObsessiveMathsFreak
Jimbo has posted enough to be considered greater than or equal to everyone, and or synonymous with the concept of 'everyone'. - Muggy
I've seen so many changeful years, / to Earth I am a stranger grown: / I wander in the ways of men, / alike unknowing and unknown: / Unheard, unpitied, unrelieved, / I bear alone my load of care; / For silent, low, on beds of dust, / Lie all that would my sorrows share. - Robert Burns' Lament for James

V
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby V » Mon Jun 18, 2007 5:07 pm

I, well, ASSUMED that she was cloned from "recoverd DNA" which was then modified...NOT that she "congealed out of LCL" like Shinji in episode 20.
Who is "Codename V"?....
I'm pleased to meet you and I hope you guessed my name, but what's puzzling you, is the nature of my game...so catch me if you can!! (0:50)
"Superior ability breeds superior ambition" -- Spock, Star Trek TOS episode 1.24 "Space Seed"
You say you say you want a REvolution?...
-->It was only after I lost everything, that I realized: I was free to do anything...

Hailtheplatypus
Adam

Re: Rei's Birth

•      
  •      

Postby Hailtheplatypus » Mon Jun 18, 2007 5:23 pm

Eva Yojimbo wrote:-Why can't Rei's ATF hold its shape (as we see her falling apart in EoE)?

I think the first question is, what is the AT field truely? I mean one can observe that it is a physical boarder between people that holds them together, but what does it represent? I think the best answer for this question is that the AT field is the thing that allows people to keep their individuality, by creating a sense of self. The AT field is simply The border of ones self. Due to the fact that Rei has little sense of self it is logical to see why her AT field would be weak. It also makes sense that in episode 24 after Rei III was born she had an amazingly strong AT field as she had sense of self...
Eva Yojimbo wrote:-Why/How were they able to "copy" Rei?

Rei I believe was formed from Lilith's body...If anyone doesnt believe me look at all the legs comming out of Lilith. I think that Lilith's flesh (Or possibly Lilith's soul and a clone of Yui) was raised without being given an identity and thus created Rei. This would explain why Rei experiences times where she doesnt understand who she is.
Eva Yojimbo wrote:-How did they form the whole Dummy Plug System from her?
The Dummy plugs were simply more clones that were created as the original were created yet lack a soul.
The fate of distruction is also the joy of rebirth.

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

•      
  •      

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Mon Jun 18, 2007 5:38 pm

V wrote:I, well, ASSUMED that she was cloned from "recoverd DNA" which was then modified...NOT that she "congealed out of LCL" like Shinji in episode 20.
How, then, do we explain how Lilith's soul ended up inside her? Remember Ritsuko's statement in 23' that she was the only one "born" with a soul.

Hailtheplatypus wrote:
<snip>
Yes, the ATF is the "light of the soul", the ego/self, the thing which seperates people. It's an interesting idea that because Rei does not know who she is (Lilith) is the reason why her ATF cannot hold her form...

Hailtheplatypus wrote:Rei I believe was formed from Lilith's body...If anyone doesnt believe me look at all the legs comming out of Lilith. I think that Lilith's flesh (Or possibly Lilith's soul and a clone of Yui) was raised without being given an identity and thus created Rei. This would explain why Rei experiences times where she doesnt understand who she is.
Rei is definitely the body of Yui (this is stated in the CI). But I use the term "body" loosely. It is possible she just contains the DNA of Yui that ends up making her body, but Lilith's soul.

Hailtheplatypus wrote:The Dummy plugs were simply more clones that were created as the original were created yet lack a soul.
The "clones" of Rei, according Ritsuko, were nothing but dummies and parts for Rei. However, that chamber was the manufacturing plant for the Dummy System, which I think is a seperate thing.
We're all adrift on the stormy seas of Evangelion, desperately trying to gather what flotsam can be snatched from the gale into a somewhat seaworthy interpretation so that we can at last reach the shores of reason and respite. - ObsessiveMathsFreak
Jimbo has posted enough to be considered greater than or equal to everyone, and or synonymous with the concept of 'everyone'. - Muggy
I've seen so many changeful years, / to Earth I am a stranger grown: / I wander in the ways of men, / alike unknowing and unknown: / Unheard, unpitied, unrelieved, / I bear alone my load of care; / For silent, low, on beds of dust, / Lie all that would my sorrows share. - Robert Burns' Lament for James

BrikHaus
Dokutah Tenma
Dokutah Tenma

•      
  •      

Postby BrikHaus » Mon Jun 18, 2007 5:51 pm

Here's a much older and more complicated discussion, featuring the one and only Zugzwang. :) [url]http://www.animeboards.com/showthread.php?t=59298[/url]
Awesomely Shitty
-"That purace has more badassu maddafaakas zan supermax spaceland."
-On EMF, as a thread becomes longer, the likelihood that fem-Kaworu will be mentioned increases exponentially.
-the only English language novel actually being developed in parallel to its Japanese version involving a pan-human Soviet in a galactic struggle to survive and to export the communist utopia/revolution to all the down trodden alien class and race- one of the premise being that Khrushchev remains and has abandoned Lysenko stupidity

Anonymous_Evafan
Minion
Minion

•      
  •      

Postby Anonymous_Evafan » Mon Jun 18, 2007 11:44 pm

The RCB says Rei was created from Yui's salvaged remains, whatever the hell that means. I would assume Rei was indeed "born" during the failed salvage attempt and Lilith's soul was sucked into an empty vessel much the same as Yui and Kyoko with the Evas.

DatDude
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby DatDude » Mon Jun 18, 2007 11:51 pm

She was falling appart because ritsuko was locked up and she maintained her
There was an EVA Nerd here, but now he's gone.

Jay911
Lilith

Re: Rei's Birth

•      
  •      

Postby Jay911 » Tue Jun 19, 2007 12:01 am

Eva Yojimbo wrote:-Why can't Rei's ATF hold its shape (as we see her falling apart in EoE)?

I tried to attribute this to the line(s) mentioned by Fuyutsuki and the "bridge" techs earlier in EoE - I think in one of the scenes immediately preceding that, if I recall right. Something along the lines of "Soon, individual forms will be unable to maintain their separate shapes". I took Rei's "coming apart" shortly thereafter as her embodiment of that prediction, either by coincidence or because she just didn't care if she lived or died at that point.

Of course, another opinion has been raised by someone else, almost as soon as I first proposed that idea. Someone posited that she had not taken her daily run of meds, and that those meds were what keep her together. I'm not sure I agree with that, because it implies something is different about Rei than any of the other kids, or other humans. I know Rei is "special", but I really don't think she's THAT "special".
--j.

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

•      
  •      

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Tue Jun 19, 2007 8:45 am

It's interesting how all the Rei dummies where in a big tank of LCL too. To me it seems to imply that there's something... WRONG with Rei's body to the effect that it can't hold its shape without frequent LCL dips (apparantly an ATF isn't enough). I'm just wondering what the logic behind this is.

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Tue Jun 19, 2007 1:48 pm

Eva Yojimbo wrote:It's interesting how all the Rei dummies where in a big tank of LCL too. To me it seems to imply that there's something... WRONG with Rei's body to the effect that it can't hold its shape without frequent LCL dips (apparantly an ATF isn't enough). I'm just wondering what the logic behind this is.

I don't think it was just the LCL that was keeping the clones intact in the tank. When Ritsuko destroyed the clones the datapad said "Destrudo Release". If LCL had the inherent property of holding sacks of flesh in its shape, it doesn't have a very good track record.

Jumpstart A. Cat
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Jumpstart A. Cat » Tue Jun 19, 2007 2:19 pm

Ornette wrote:I don't think it was just the LCL that was keeping the clones intact in the tank. When Ritsuko destroyed the clones the datapad said "Destrudo Release". If LCL had the inherent property of holding sacks of flesh in its shape, it doesn't have a very good track record.

Destrudo is the drive to destroy, isn't it? But the Rei clones surely don't have a destrudo, they don't have souls. "Destrudo Release" makes destrudo sound like a chemical or something that gets released into the LCL and destroys the Rei clones. Maybe the LCL does have the propetry of holding the clones together, and a chemical was added that altered the chemical make up of the LCL so that it couldn't do that anymore.

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Tue Jun 19, 2007 2:46 pm

In the other uses of "Destrudo" (BB's EoE translation has it written as "Destrado") in ep 20, 21, and EoE, it is something that broke the "ego barrier" which then caused the person to turn into LCL, and no indication that it originated from a soul (although this is probably a matter of ambiguity). Now I realize this is a little different in the Reiquarium case, these clones have no soul, and thus no ATF. Therefore, why would you need to introduce something to break down an ego barrier that doesn't exist? The 3 other times that we see (well, one is implied) someone losing an ego barrier also occurs inside LCL, but the LCL itself didn't seem to do anything in preventing it from happening, and in ep20, it only prevented one from forming.

I'm sure there's more going on with the Rei clones as well as with LCL itself, as it's often used as some all-purpose liquid. But it doesn't make sense to me that LCL, by itself, which is also what everyone is made up of, also prevents sacks of flesh (which presumably are also made of LCL) from losing its shape.

Shin-seiki
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Shin-seiki » Tue Jun 19, 2007 4:22 pm

Ornette wrote:(which presumably are also made of LCL)
Rei and Kaworu, while having the shape/form/structure (externally and internally) of adolescent Lilim, are made of the same mysterious alien "wave/particulate" substance as are the Angels and Evas. In the manga, Kaworu even comments on this fact: something to the effect of "when we touched, I could feel that we were made of the same substance" (sorry, I don't have that volume available for the exact quote). That is why they can project ATFs, levitate, regenerate arms, and so on.

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Tue Jun 19, 2007 7:04 pm

Shin-seiki wrote:
Ornette wrote:(which presumably are also made of LCL)
Rei and Kaworu, while having the shape/form/structure (externally and internally) of adolescent Lilim, are made of the same mysterious alien "wave/particulate" substance as are the Angels and Evas. In the manga, Kaworu even comments on this fact: something to the effect of "when we touched, I could feel that we were made of the same substance" (sorry, I don't have that volume available for the exact quote). That is why they can project ATFs, levitate, regenerate arms, and so on.

Ahh, that makes sense. Kaworu I knew about, but wasn't sure if Rei was actually made of PVM, but that would explain the ability to hold a shape without a soul (like Lilith is able to). Thus, it isn't the LCL, that was why a "Destrudo Release" was necessary, and that's why they broke into gruesome pieces and didn't turn into LCL.

V
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby V » Tue Jun 19, 2007 7:51 pm

I think Rei was just made from recovered Yui DNA (she didn't come from the LCL in the entry plug like Shinji did in episode 20)

As for "how did she get Lilith's soul"? ...I didn't think that came from the Contact Experiment.

I thought they "put in" Lilith's soul LATER, using "Metaphysical biology"
Who is "Codename V"?....
I'm pleased to meet you and I hope you guessed my name, but what's puzzling you, is the nature of my game...so catch me if you can!! (0:50)
"Superior ability breeds superior ambition" -- Spock, Star Trek TOS episode 1.24 "Space Seed"
-->It was only after I lost everything, that I realized: I was free to do anything...

Opteron-O3
Tabris
Tabris

•      
  •      

Postby Opteron-O3 » Tue Jun 19, 2007 8:08 pm

V wrote:I think Rei was just made from recovered Yui DNA (she didn't come from the LCL in the entry plug like Shinji did in episode 20)

Made or spit out, just like Shinji. But, don't remember the thread I read this, the reason they weren't succesful in returning Yui was because she didn't want to come back, or something of that nature, and they were only able to recover what they got. In this case Rei.

As for "how did she get Lilith's soul"? ...I didn't think that came from the Contact Experiment.

As I stated above, in that same thread, it states how maybe Yui's soul was exchanged with Lilith's soul, thus getting a deformed Yui..? Because Yui did not want to come back to her body "per se" they exchanged souls. I'm sure somebody could explain this better.

I thought they "put in" Lilith's soul LATER, using "Metaphysical biology"

When?
Last edited by Opteron-O3 on Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

V
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby V » Tue Jun 19, 2007 8:13 pm

well, the same way they can get Lilith's soul from the dead Rei II into Rei III
Who is "Codename V"?....

Opteron-O3
Tabris
Tabris

•      
  •      

Postby Opteron-O3 » Tue Jun 19, 2007 8:20 pm

V wrote:well, the same way they can get Lilith's soul from the dead Rei II into Rei III

That is just another Eva mystery.

Because ReiII blows up, but remember that scene where they find the capsule? And Ritsuko is like: "this is top secret" or something of that nature. Rei probably didn't die, I mean she did, but... She probably turned into tang. Or we can talk about the ATF thing, her ATF collapsed trying to contain the angel, so maybe she collapsed into pieces inside the capsule exposing her soul? Or... it's just a mystery. Many possibilities.
Last edited by Opteron-O3 on Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jay911
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Jay911 » Tue Jun 19, 2007 8:28 pm

A hand is clearly visible in the plug's shattered remains when Akagi and a tech look inside.

I always took "Clean out the plug and destroy everything" to mean put the bits of Rei II into a Glad garbage bag so we can try to retrieve her soul, and make sure nothing remains of what we've done here.
--j.

Opteron-O3
Tabris
Tabris

•      
  •      

Postby Opteron-O3 » Tue Jun 19, 2007 8:34 pm

Jay911 wrote:A hand is clearly visible in the plug's shattered remains when Akagi and a tech look inside.

I always took "Clean out the plug and destroy everything" to mean put the bits of Rei II into a Glad garbage bag so we can try to retrieve her soul, and make sure nothing remains of what we've done here.

Very nice!

I see the hand you're talking about. So we can possibly go with the ATF thing they were talking about.
Last edited by Opteron-O3 on Sun Mar 13, 2011 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”