A.T Fields

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
BEsERk EVA01
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

A.T Fields

•      
  •      

Postby BEsERk EVA01 » Wed Jan 02, 2008 5:42 am

What makes it impenetrable? What makes it orange? What makes it so much like a boundary that can deflect or absorb any projectile? What makes it tick?

And tell me if there's any other thread on this around here beforehand prior to locking this.
>>My User Profile On EvaPedia<<
>>Per Ardua ad Astra, Through Struggle To The Stars<<
>>Nothing<<

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Wed Jan 02, 2008 6:05 am

i think i quetioned the ATF once
a long time ago
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Wed Jan 02, 2008 12:37 pm

http://evageeks.org/FGP/A.T._Field

Anonymous_Evafan
Minion
Minion

•      
  •      

Postby Anonymous_Evafan » Wed Jan 02, 2008 1:03 pm

It's the soul and a plot device.

/endofthread
Oh, but God forbid any of these theories have any validity! After all, we are just brainwashing innocent people with Reichu's fanclub propaganda!--Trigger's Elysium sarcasm for the masses!

Zuggy
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Zuggy » Wed Jan 02, 2008 2:35 pm

Ornette wrote:http://evageeks.org/FGP/A.T._Field

I don't know if this has already been mentioned but strong magnetic fields will unfocus a camera, causing a blurring effect like when the ATF is deployed. In EoE some of the metallic projectiles fired at Eva 02 are simply deflected before they even hit her, suggesting a magnetic field (sort of like the magnetic shield Fortune uses in MGS2 to deflect bullets).

It's likely all the hexagons in Nerv, the heptagons (with radiation signs in the centre of each) in Terminal Dogma, and the octagon ATFs have some overall link.

bap_120790
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby bap_120790 » Wed Jan 02, 2008 3:05 pm

But what does that tell about it being orange? Oh, nevermind. It's probably just an artistic touch.

BEsERk EVA01
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby BEsERk EVA01 » Wed Jan 02, 2008 7:30 pm

What makes it all "impregnable" I guess?
>>Nothing<<

universalperson
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby universalperson » Wed Jan 02, 2008 8:33 pm

I remember reading a post where someone actually gave an energy value to AT Fields...I'm not sure where though.
Avatar courtesy of RetroRainbow, and the Eva art book.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Wed Jan 02, 2008 8:36 pm

"Eva-01's A.T. Field power level! It's... it's...!"

You know the rest.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

The Imperialist
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby The Imperialist » Thu Jan 03, 2008 5:01 pm

What kind of energy is it anyway? What is it made of? My guess right now, would be ectoplasm, or something like it. We know what it is (even though it might not exist), but don't know what it is made of. I just thought this because it got something to do with the soul, so.
I feel old

Defectron
Tentacle Girl
Tentacle Girl

•      
  •      

Postby Defectron » Thu Jan 03, 2008 5:36 pm

There was this guy on another forum who argued that AT fields would be innefective against beam weapons like lasers since we can actually see light passing through the AT fields.

Now the only time lasers have actually been used on angels is when Iruel hacked into nerv. Though arguably that might not count since Ireul could adapt to to anything that they through at it. The positron beam doesn't count since that isn't a laser but an antimatter weapon, though a beam would need to channel the positrons otherwise it would detonate on contact with the air. So what do youa ll think? Would a regular laser beam cannon be able to take out the angels?
Parasite Galaxy: An experimental webcomic

http://www.parasitegalaxy.com/ Updates Monday and Thursday. Vote for me on top webcomics

If you want to support this comic buy something from me on amazon

The Imperialist
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby The Imperialist » Thu Jan 03, 2008 5:39 pm

I have a feeling that AT field could be controlled as to what comes in and what gets deflected. If not, the hightened wave length would probably just make it impassable through the AT field, as only normal colour wavelength is allowed, at a certain power.
I feel old

Zuggy
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Zuggy » Fri Jan 04, 2008 9:40 am

universalperson wrote:I remember reading a post where someone actually gave an energy value to AT Fields...I'm not sure where though.

I remember that too - http://evageeks.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1077

The Imperialist wrote:What kind of energy is it anyway? What is it made of? My guess right now, would be ectoplasm, or something like it.

Faubtin also thought that.

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Fri Jan 04, 2008 9:46 am

Where does ObsessiveMathsFreak come up with this stuff?
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

•      
  •      

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Fri Jan 04, 2008 12:49 pm

Sachiel_13 wrote:Where does ObsessiveMathsFreak come up with this stuff?
From being obsessed with math? And being a freak? Wild guess...
Cinelogue & Forced Perspective Cinema
^ Writing as Jonathan Henderson ^
We're all adrift on the stormy seas of Evangelion, desperately trying to gather what flotsam can be snatched from the gale into a somewhat seaworthy interpretation so that we can at last reach the shores of reason and respite. - ObsessiveMathsFreak
Jimbo has posted enough to be considered greater than or equal to everyone, and or synonymous with the concept of 'everyone'. - Muggy
I've seen so many changeful years, / to Earth I am a stranger grown: / I wander in the ways of men, / alike unknowing and unknown: / Unheard, unpitied, unrelieved, / I bear alone my load of care; / For silent, low, on beds of dust, / Lie all that would my sorrows share. - Robert Burns' Lament for James

Anonymous_Evafan
Minion
Minion

•      
  •      

Postby Anonymous_Evafan » Fri Jan 04, 2008 4:46 pm

The Imperialist wrote:What kind of energy is it anyway? What is it made of?

In the case of the Angels it is literally the physical projection of their souls. Remember we have them to we just can't do all those cool tricks.

Defectron wrote:There was this guy on another forum who argued that AT fields would be innefective against beam weapons like lasers since we can actually see light passing through the AT fields.

Kaworu's actually blocked light.
HYUGA:
It's an AT Field of unprecedented power!

AOBA:
Light, electromagnetic, and particle waves!
It's blocking them all! We can't monitor anything in there!
Oh, but God forbid any of these theories have any validity! After all, we are just brainwashing innocent people with Reichu's fanclub propaganda!--Trigger's Elysium sarcasm for the masses!

The Imperialist
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby The Imperialist » Fri Jan 04, 2008 5:39 pm

Therefore, AT field are not as partially permeable. Which means by its magnitude, the higher it is, the more things get blocked, including visible light. Does that also mean it could block 'sould' from coming through, even though it is not really a 'energy'?

It may be the projection of the soul, but what is it made of? Ectoplasm, like I said before? Or something more conventional and easier to prove of its existance? Or just something made to exist for the convienience of the series?
I feel old

BEsERk EVA01
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby BEsERk EVA01 » Fri Jan 04, 2008 7:13 pm

I think the ObssessiveMathsFreak might be able to explain this. Where is he anyway?

Hmm...yes I think it's just how they call it, "plot device", so I think it's just how the animators wanted it to be.
>>Nothing<<

brainDamage
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby brainDamage » Fri Jan 04, 2008 7:26 pm

I don't think an AT field can be logically explained. I also don't know if it is really a shield to keep things out, it may in fact be more accurate to say that it keeps things in, namely our souls in our bodies and our human form intact. I might try to explain an AT field in more spiritual terms...

If we had to explain it scientifically, I would only say that it appears that it can react with mediums of the physical, mental and lightwave nature. Perhaps it is more like a controled radiation, such as electro magnetic radiation, which behaves both as a light wave and has some physical (or kinetic) energy.
"You don't know your own mind." -Jonathan Swift, Polite Conversation, 1738

UrsusArctos
The Beginning and The End
The Beginning and The End

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Fri Jan 04, 2008 8:23 pm

An A.T. Field does just what Anno sets it to do. In other words, plot device.

But in all serious discussion, you don't need to completely cancel out all light to make it impermeable. You could simply phase shift the light, so that the incoming rays of light cancel each other out (Using the wave properties of light, which would have each ray as a series of little waves. The crest of one little wave and the trough of another cancel out.)

Alternatively, you could use some of the surrounding matter to form a reflective layer. Those lasers were not very powerful, and they could be bounced off fairly easily even by a normal mirror, much less an Angel-generated A.T. Field.
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
Not knowing that Monk is bi is like not knowing the Pope is Catholic - ZapX
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”