What would an Angel-based ecosystem be like?

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
V
Banned

What would an Angel-based ecosystem be like?

•      
  •      

Postby V » Mon Mar 10, 2008 12:01 am

Note: I've brought up this topic before and Reichu said something about it having been discussed in the past, but I cannot find any previous discussions in search, so I'm restarting it here until the other threads can be found)

What the heck would an Angel-based ecosystem be like?

Earth is a Lilith-based ecosystem; the Angels are Adam-based life.

Lilim benefit from the "fruit of knowledge", Angels from the "fruit of life".

The thing is, Lilim "evolve"; they reproduce across multiple generations, with arising mutations and natural selection leading to differences that let them evolve/improve. In contrast, I doubt Angels actually have reproductive organs or processes; that is, Adam is the only "mother-Angel" that makes more Angels. Further, as stated by Kaworu, Angels live forever; they don't die naturally. Thus without "multiple generations" there is no "evolution" of Angels; they start out super-powerful and can actually radically adapt their biology to react to external stimuli.

****Bigger problem: Lilim have to consume nutrients (proteins, carbohydrates, etc.) and then respirate (intake oxygen) to produce chemical energy to fuel their life processes.

Angels, meanwhile, all have S^2 Engines: an organ that, due to its "inherent internal spherical design", produces a practically limitless supply of pure energy.

So you see, while Lilith-based life needs to carry out what we commonly think of as "life processes" and "behaviors", the Angels simply don't need to do that: that is, they don't really *need* digestive organs to convert raw nutrients into chemical energy ( ATP molecules in the case of humans and such) ; the S^2 Organ already makes pure energy.

Further, why do they even need to breathe oxygen? Breathing oxygen is just part of the Respiration process to use Oxygen in the Krebs Cycle: Angels shouldn't need to do this. Indeed, Sahaquiel and Arael obviously wouldn't (this raises the question: why would Sachiel really need gills?)

This extends, in an Adam-dominant ecology, not just to biological life processes, but to behavior: what the heck would Angels behave like if humans really weren't around?

That is, Lilith-based life either A - carries out photosynthesis (plants), B - eats and digests plants (herbivores) or C - eats the herbivores (carnivores)

Seeing as Angels just inherently have all the energy they need....an Angel-based ecosystem would have no predator-Angels eating other Angels. For that matter, there would be no herbivore Angels eating other Angels......OR even "photosynthesizing" Angelic life competing over raw energy sources (sunlight, volcanic energy, whatever)

So pretty much ALL of the behavioral processes we associate with Lilith-based life: competing over access to limited natural energy sources (sunlight), hunting for food (carnivores), and even competing over reproductive mating access (it's just Adam)....are totally absent.

As far as I can tell, the Angels would just be....wandering around seemingly for no purpose.

The First Ancestral Race made two kinds of Seed of Life: "Fruit of Knowledge-type" (such as Lilith) and "Fruit of Life-type" (such as Adam)

Presumably there are other planets out there that Lilith-types or Adam-types landed onto and developed on.

Granted evolution takes a variant path, they're not exactly humans....but I mean like another Lilith landing on Tau Ceti B could give rise to a sentient alien civilization of "Admiral Ackbar"-type squidmen (from Star Wars). You know, actual "civilizations" albeit Star Trek races.

But what the heck are these other Adam-based worlds like?

Earth is unique: it's the only planet where two Seeds of different kinds landed:

Earth was supposed to be Angel-dominated but then Lilith came by accident and the Lilim kind of usurped the Angels place.

Nonetheless: there are worlds out there that are totally "Angelic lifeforms" (Adam-Dominant Life, etc.)

What the heck would such ecosystems be like?

Granted, the Angels are smarter than we often give them credit; it's not clear how sentient all of them are and many of the early ones don't seem to have human-level intelligence, but some of the later ones (i.e. Armisael) clearly DO have human-level intelligence.

Nonetheless it does not appear that they could ever advance to being a "civilization" much less spacefaring.

Er, the point is........what the heck would an Angel-based ecosystem be like? I imagine it would be quite bizarre and almost surrealist, with all of the laws of nature we take for granted simply not applying.

However, 1-all the energy the Angels need to get they already inherently have so its not like they need to consume external energy of any kind, 2- Angels life forever 3 - only Adam would actually reproduce.

So what would happen?

My only guess is that the Adam these other planets got would keep churning out new Angels, which would fight the older ones for supremacy; that is, the right to exist. Both would life forever but their fighting for their existence.

That is....on Earth, when "Lions" and "Tigers" compete to be the predator race in a country, they compete with each other (either directly or through being better hunters) until only one population group survives. but there's hundreds of them on each side its a group dynamic.

With the Angels, each one is totally unique.

Thus I think they'd end up fighting each other for survival; sort of the Lions and Tigers thing but instead of hundreds of individuals that make up a population of a species, it would be one on one.

Of course, all of this rests on the principle that "there's a limited amount of space"...but for WHAT?! They aren't competing for any resources and it could just be standing room only for all they care; they don't NEED space.

Nonetheless I think they'd be competing for their existence; particularly as while the Lions and Tigers could reproduce and are a population, there's only one Angel.

Which is to say......ok, imagine I'm actually standing here holding up a toy Lion, and saying it "represents" several hundreds Lions, making up a population. But in the case of the Angels, the toy "Zeruel" would not FIGURATIVELY "Represent" the "Zeruel species", that ONE individual IS the Zeruel species.

So like.....Matarael (weak Angel) would compete against a Zeruel (strong Angel) and Zeruel would kill Matarael because Zeruel PWNS!, right? ****This isn't natural selection as we understand it, but it would work for them: i.e. the survival or death of an entire Angel "species" (well, "form") is represented in microcosm by just one individual.

So instead of saying "the Lions compete to live or die" and "Lions" refers to a group, I'd be pointing at one INDIVIDUAL, point at Matarael and say "kill him and the Mataraels will be extinct forever".

Of course, again, this runs into the problem: one of Natural Selection's precepts is the whole "reproducing populations" thing, and even with "each one Angel is kind of a "species", a unique form of life, unto itself..." with that thing.....ok that could make sense.

But one of the other precepts of Natural Selection is "resources are limited and there is competition over them"

The Angels HAVE no resources to compete over, not even standing room.

Or would they just....philosophically-driven, be struggling to kill other Angels and thus ensure their own survival?

And to what END?

We don't really have a good idea of what Angels would be "naturally" doing if humans were not around.
Who is "Codename V"?....
I'm pleased to meet you and I hope you guessed my name, but what's puzzling you, is the nature of my game...so catch me if you can!! (0:50)
"Superior ability breeds superior ambition" -- Spock, Star Trek TOS episode 1.24 "Space Seed"
You say you say you want a REvolution?...
-->It was only after I lost everything, that I realized: I was free to do anything...

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Mon Mar 10, 2008 12:04 am

Mars.
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

BrikHaus
Dokutah Tenma
Dokutah Tenma

•      
  •      

Postby BrikHaus » Mon Mar 10, 2008 12:07 am

The ocean would be made out of cheese. Definitely.
Awesomely Shitty
-"That purace has more badassu maddafaakas zan supermax spaceland."
-On EMF, as a thread becomes longer, the likelihood that fem-Kaworu will be mentioned increases exponentially.
-the only English language novel actually being developed in parallel to its Japanese version involving a pan-human Soviet in a galactic struggle to survive and to export the communist utopia/revolution to all the down trodden alien class and race- one of the premise being that Khrushchev remains and has abandoned Lysenko stupidity

BEsERk EVA01
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby BEsERk EVA01 » Mon Mar 10, 2008 1:34 am

There'll probably be wars and such, over things like land dominance, etc.
>>My User Profile On EvaPedia<<
>>Per Ardua ad Astra, Through Struggle To The Stars<<
>>Nothing<<

majlund
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

Re: What would an Angel-based ecosystem be like?

•      
  •      

Postby majlund » Mon Mar 10, 2008 5:03 am

V wrote:What the heck would an Angel-based ecosystem be like?

Irrelevant perhaps?
Si vis Pacem para Bellum

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Mon Mar 10, 2008 7:25 am

"tl;dr"

V, your post is rather inaccessibly "wall of text" as is. Better organization and utilization of paragraphs, etc., would be my suggestion.

There has been previous material on the "Adam-based ecosystem", but some of it might be unarchived ANF stuff. I would have to look around at a point.
Last edited by Reichu on Mon Mar 10, 2008 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Mon Mar 10, 2008 7:36 pm

Actually, now that I read more of the topic, I think I had a thread about Angel Designs that talk about how any Angel environment could've affected the way they look. Just a sec while I look it up.

<edit> http://evageeks.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3027&start=0
I don't think that thread made any progress though...
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

RandomStuff
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby RandomStuff » Mon Mar 10, 2008 8:27 pm

An Angel world would be my ideal world. Sleeping and goofing off all day.
Also we don't know that it's not possible for more than one angel to take a certain form. For all we know there could be a planet entirely populated by Sachiels. Maybe Earth's Adam just didn't get to the point where duplicates would begin to be made.
Irrelevance is the key to success! Losbacas.com
It's like pulling teeth from the corpses of the defiled!-Jake
Wayne's cancer-curing hair cures cancer!
The golden magic 8-ball says you must die...

Anonymous_Evafan
Minion
Minion

•      
  •      

Postby Anonymous_Evafan » Mon Mar 10, 2008 8:34 pm

Technically they were all duplicates. They chose their forms at a certain point in their developement as evident by Sandalphon.
Oh, but God forbid any of these theories have any validity! After all, we are just brainwashing innocent people with Reichu's fanclub propaganda!--Trigger's Elysium sarcasm for the masses!

TheAyanamiOtaku
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby TheAyanamiOtaku » Tue Mar 11, 2008 12:07 am

so they get to choose, but evolution, genes, and alleles choose for us?
Rei: I'm not your puppet.

The Allied States of Syraneen

Anonymous_Evafan
Minion
Minion

•      
  •      

Postby Anonymous_Evafan » Tue Mar 11, 2008 12:53 am

They're called gods for a reason.
Oh, but God forbid any of these theories have any validity! After all, we are just brainwashing innocent people with Reichu's fanclub propaganda!--Trigger's Elysium sarcasm for the masses!

BEsERk EVA01
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby BEsERk EVA01 » Tue Mar 11, 2008 2:32 am

RandomStuff wrote:An Angel world would be my ideal world. Sleeping and goofing off all day.
Also we don't know that it's not possible for more than one angel to take a certain form. For all we know there could be a planet entirely populated by Sachiels. Maybe Earth's Adam just didn't get to the point where duplicates would begin to be made.

Oh dear god! Sachiels duplicating and having Y and X chromosomes and then they mate is bad enough, but having a whole planet dominated by Sachiels...is...like hell!

And what language would the Angels speak? Hmm...
>>Nothing<<

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Tue Mar 11, 2008 5:19 am

In theory: If Sachiel and Shamshel had babies, these babies would all genetically be Adam-type humanoids, each with the capacity to turn into something as weird or weirder still as one of their parents. From what (little) we know, the Angels' bizarre forms are all unique to the individual Angels are are determined by ATF, not genes.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

BEsERk EVA01
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby BEsERk EVA01 » Tue Mar 11, 2008 5:47 am

Oh dear god! A cross between Shamshel and Sachiel?!?

That would be bizarre, think about it. Sachiel has those laser tentacles in place of his arms, and Shamshel has that army pounding device on his arms in place of tentacles!

:shock of horror:

:w00t:
>>Nothing<<

RandomStuff
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby RandomStuff » Tue Mar 11, 2008 5:19 pm

On a barely related note, does anyone know if Sachiel's pauldrons are biological [Bone, maybe?] or metal/other artificial substance.
Irrelevance is the key to success! Losbacas.com
It's like pulling teeth from the corpses of the defiled!-Jake
Wayne's cancer-curing hair cures cancer!
The golden magic 8-ball says you must die...

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Tue Mar 11, 2008 6:17 pm

I always assumed they were bone, it definitely makes sense that way.

@BZ: She JUST said it had nothing to do with genes.
- Sachi

Anonymous_Evafan
Minion
Minion

•      
  •      

Postby Anonymous_Evafan » Tue Mar 11, 2008 8:51 pm

Whatever he decided them to be made of.

TheAyanamiOtaku
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby TheAyanamiOtaku » Tue Mar 11, 2008 9:22 pm

Then he must be pretty flexible to wrap himself around Sho in a sphere (and blow up)
Rei: I'm not your puppet.

The Allied States of Syraneen

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Tue Mar 11, 2008 9:54 pm

He probably collapsed his ATF and exploded when that happened.
- Sachi

shito
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby shito » Wed Mar 12, 2008 1:39 pm

Maybe the angels would be travelling across the universe, causing 3rd Impacts in Lilith-based planets. Sort of like the Superlords in Childhood's End :leekspin:
death and

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”