Sean McCoy

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
thewayneiac
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

Sean McCoy

•      
  •      

Postby thewayneiac » Wed Feb 23, 2005 8:52 pm

Eva Monkey asked over on the A.N. forum just who is this guy that ADV put on the EP. 20 commentary. (For some reason he doesn't seem to have asked the same question here.) Well I found him. HERE are some posts of his on Usenet. Be prepared to be bombarded by gibberish.
Rejoice, glory is ours. Our young men have not died in vain. Their graves need no flowers. The tapes have recorded their names.
I am all there is.
Negative! Primative! Limited! I let you live.
But I gave you life.
What else could you do?
To do what was right.
I'm perfect, are you?

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Thu Feb 24, 2005 3:03 pm

I hate gibberish, as well as nazis. And ESPECIALLY Nazi Jibberish.

Ironfoot
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby Ironfoot » Tue Mar 01, 2005 2:42 am

Very, very interesting indeed.

bjamieson
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby bjamieson » Wed Mar 02, 2005 3:35 pm

Ahahahaha!!

I remember this guy on the Eva ML. I remember a lengthy argument on the ML over Asuka being pregnant at the end of the film.

Wow... does ADV have any standards? Out of sick curiousity I really want to hear what this cat had to say.
brendan
Kanzen

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Wed Mar 02, 2005 9:46 pm

bjamieson wrote:I remember this guy on the Eva ML. I remember a lengthy argument on the ML over Asuka being pregnant at the end of the film.

How on Earth does one get such an idea?

Wow... does ADV have any standards?

No.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

AchtungAffen
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby AchtungAffen » Wed Mar 02, 2005 9:53 pm

Reichu wrote:
bjamieson wrote:I remember this guy on the Eva ML. I remember a lengthy argument on the ML over Asuka being pregnant at the end of the film.

How on Earth does one get such an idea?

By watching too much Rahxephon?
"Oh, Constantine! To how many evils origin was given, not by your conversion to Christianity, but by the dowry which from you received the first Pope that was rich!" - Dante
How can you expect to live in a Republic when you don't care about the res-publica?
"The gun, in all its forms, was the epochal tool of white male supremacy, which is why it continues to have irrational appeal. As much as the jack-booted hate Jews and blacks, that much they love their guns." - James Carrol
My List @ AniDB

- Original activist against the lockers-that-be -

bjamieson
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby bjamieson » Thu Mar 03, 2005 5:53 am

Reichu wrote:How on Earth does one get such an idea?

I don't recall the specifics exactly (it's on Goggle's arhcive of usenet, just search for Sean McCoy,Evangelion,Pregnant) but it had to do with "Kimouchi waruii." (= morning sickness) and the End of Evangelion shot of Asuka and Shinji apparently having sex (nevermind its placement in Complementation).

I thought it was a pretty baseless assumption.
brendan
Kanzen

Shin-seiki
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Shin-seiki » Thu Mar 03, 2005 6:30 am

As I like to point out whenever this absurd notion comes up, we have Asuka complaining about her period in #22, which is probably, at most, a month or so before 3I. By this point in the story she is completely fed up with and hostile to Shinji, which makes the idea of the two of them "doing it" at any point in the timeline covered by #23-24 unlikely, to put it charitably. Furthermore, morning sickness is a symptom of pregnancy that only starts to show up by 7-8 weeks. Do the math :roll:
In any case, how clueless does one have to be to fail to pick up on the basic point that a big factor in Asuka's antipathy towards Shinji was the fact that, on those occasions when she did try to "get it on" with him (#09 and #15), he responded with indifference. For Asuka and Shinji to have "done the dirty deed" makes utter nonsense of a very significant plot element...

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Thu Mar 03, 2005 1:00 pm

Shin-seiki wrote:Furthermore, morning sickness is a symptom of pregnancy that only starts to show up by 7-8 weeks. Do the math :roll:

The final scene appears to be several weeks, if not months after the main events (rust on the cross).

Shin-seiki wrote:For Asuka and Shinji to have "done the dirty deed" makes utter nonsense of a very significant plot element...

It depends exactly how "fucked up" Shinji was (having means and opportunity at least), and what he meant when he said

Shinji:
I've done terrible things to Asuka...

my emphasis on the plural.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

DatDude
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby DatDude » Thu Mar 03, 2005 1:04 pm

For the love of god. Anno made a wise crack at a con a few years ago about Asuka have morning sickness thats all. She didn't get pregnent from Shinji either from sex, which is NEVER EVEN IMPLEYED IN THE SHOW, or the hospital scene cuz none of it was shown to have goten on HER!

I rank this crackpot theory up their with the " pen-pen is god BS" .
There was an EVA Nerd here, but now he's gone.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Thu Mar 03, 2005 2:34 pm

Mr. Tines wrote:Shinji:
I've done terrible things to Asuka...

my emphasis on the plural.

Japanese tends not to specify plurals. Shinji just says, "Asuka ni hidoi koto shita 'n da". He did SOMEthing he's not proud of, but the extent is unspecified.

So... if you were pregnant when you go splat, do you reembody with or without your unborn child(ren)?
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Thu Mar 03, 2005 2:41 pm

Reichu wrote:Japanese tends not to specify plurals.

Todays fun fact.

I guess I am going to have to take the sad otaku's step of actually trying to learn a bit more of the language than just learning fragments by context. *sigh*

Reichu wrote:So... if you were pregnant when you go splat, do you reembody with or without your unborn child(ren)?

It would probably depend on whether they were able to do the re-imagining bit too.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Carl Horn
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby Carl Horn » Fri Mar 04, 2005 8:55 pm

Whether Asuka is meant to be pregnant at the actual point in time at which the film ends may be speculation. However, the ending does appear to leave them as the last man and woman on earth, or, if you like, the first man and woman on the new earth. If you accept the idea that they are a new Adam and Eve, that suggests Asuka would become pregnant by Shinji eventually.

For that reason I don't find it shocking at least to entertain the idea that she is already pregnant by him--perhaps through one of the possibilities of the Instrumentality that shows the two of them in an apparent lovers' quarrel (in fact, this is where Shinji first is shown trying to strangle her). I am not saying that I accept the theory, but neither do I find it outrageous or absurd on its face.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Fri Mar 04, 2005 9:07 pm

Carl Horn wrote:Whether Asuka is meant to be pregnant at the actual point in time at which the film ends may be speculation. However, the ending does appear to leave them as the last man and woman on earth, or, if you like, the first man and woman on the new earth. If you accept the idea that they are a new Adam and Eve, that suggests Asuka would become pregnant by Shinji eventually.

Assuming they haven't mastered the "rhythm" method of birth control. :P "Get the hell away from me, Shinji! I'm ovulating!"
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

DatDude
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby DatDude » Sat Mar 05, 2005 5:30 pm

did we figue out who this guy is yet?

Ryo
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby Ryo » Sat Mar 05, 2005 5:51 pm

Reichu wrote:Assuming they haven't mastered the "rhythm" method of birth control. :P "Get the hell away from me, Shinji! I'm ovulating!"

Somehow I didn't find this too hard to imagine... :lol:
Asuka > Rei

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sat Mar 05, 2005 6:13 pm

Ryo wrote:Somehow I didn't find this too hard to imagine... :lol:

Granted, this must be a very frustrating method of birth control. Ovulation tends to be one of those times when women transform into slobbering, randy beasts.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

DatDude
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby DatDude » Sat Mar 05, 2005 6:24 pm

Reichu wrote:

Granted, this must be a very frustrating method of birth control. Ovulation tends to be one of those times when women transform into slobbering, randy beasts.

I can just see Shinji thinking to himself " I miss Rei ." As Asuka chases him around the beach with a rock.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Sun Mar 06, 2005 3:42 pm

Reichu wrote:

By observation, also providing subtle cues to males in their proximity that affect their mood too.

There's a reason for the old joke

Q: "What do you call a woman who uses the rhythm method?"
A: "A mother."

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sun Mar 06, 2005 8:53 pm

Mr. Tines wrote:There's a reason for the old joke

Q: "What do you call a woman who uses the rhythm method?"
A: "A mother."

It's one of those things that should work IN THEORY. ;)
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”