Eva 2.0 Random Speculation Thread #2

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

Eva 2.0 Random Speculation Thread #2

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Tue Dec 09, 2008 2:20 am

Originally "Scene Discussion for 2.0", but inevitably couldn't stick to a topic of such limited scope and has thus began to mutate into a reiteration of this. -Reichu

Having just rewatched Eva 1.0 for the zillionth time I was thinking how the infamous "I've fallen on you Rei and I can't get up scene" was transfered from the TV series literally untouched. It's re-animated and all but I'm sure if I played the TV series and the film side by side, other than a few visual additions in Rebuild the two would play out in the same way and pacing down to the millisecond.

Eva 1.0 had a few other scenes like that but that scene stuck out to me the most because it's so untouched. It's a vital scene to summing up who Rei Ayanami is. Plus it's fanservice.

Which made me wonder. 2.0 has to deal with twice as much TV series screentime as 1.0 did so very few scenes in the film are going to play out exactly as they did in the series...especially if the film is going to be in the same running time ballpark as 1.0 (around 90 minutes).

Which made me just want to be all fan-like and ask-
From Episode 7-19 of the TV Series, what are the three key scenes you hope/think they would just re-animate completely- untouched- for the film. I'd prefer to know character scenes than just Eva kicking ass moments.

The three unaltered scenes I figure will be-

1. Asuka's inflated chest moment where she passes out next to Shinji and he almost kisses her in Episode 9. Whether they fight Israfel or not I figure it's a scene of such fan-servicey that it'd be a travesty for most to cut it.

2. Shinji and Gendo's visit to Yui's grave in Episode 15. It's probably the pinnacle and last moment in the series where Shinji actively reaches out for his father.

3. Episode 19- Kaji's speech to 'inspire' Shinji to get back in the Eva. It would work great in the overall 'New Series' as a mirror scene to Misato's 'Lilith' scene in Part 1. Only problem is Misato's already dropped the bomb about Third Impact to Shinji in Part 1 so it might be pointless. Regardless I'd like to see that scene or one like it. It's a small and neglected element of the series but Kaji has a good relationship with Shinji. Too bad Shinji never tried to reach out to Kaji.

Which three character scenes would you hope they'd keep?

P.S. Is procrastination a crime? I've been doing it ALL NIGHT!

Action_Bastard
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby Action_Bastard » Tue Dec 09, 2008 3:14 am

1) the Asuka/Shinji kissing scene.

2) The eva training/dance scenario

3) mindfuckery galore
REBUILD ≠ SERIES! GET IT THROUGH YOUR THICK F***ING SKULLS!! :fistshake:
MyAnimeList

IrkenEvangelion
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby IrkenEvangelion » Tue Dec 09, 2008 10:40 am

I agree with Gendo. Those 3 scenes are about the most important 'sentimental' moments in the show for me.
THIS IS STEINS;GATE'S CHOICE!
----<3 Merchant meets Spicy Wolf <3----
8 YEARS OF EVA, Does it mean something to you?
EvaPedia|Xbox Live|El Psy Congroo

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Tue Dec 09, 2008 11:13 am

1. Misato's 2I flashback.
2. Misato telling Shinji about her dad.
3. Misato getting drunk and spilling her guts to Kaji. About her dad.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Action_Bastard
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby Action_Bastard » Tue Dec 09, 2008 12:04 pm

^ I see what you did there.....
MyAnimeList

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Tue Dec 09, 2008 1:17 pm

I'm gonna go with top 5 although I wouldn't mind if one or two would be changed slightly:

1) Synch training sequence complete with next time preview music

2) Kiss attempt (an alternation such as Asuka waking up or combining the kiss attempt with the later kiss scene would work too.)

3) Asuka and Shinji kiss scene

4) Drunken Misato and Kaji walking home, their kiss scene. (Although Kaji giving more of his own insights would be nice.)

5) Kaworu dropping her drawers and showing Asuka and the others the truth. Oh wait. ;)
Last edited by Sailor Star Dust on Tue Dec 09, 2008 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Otakon 08 Ikari
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby Otakon 08 Ikari » Tue Dec 09, 2008 1:31 pm

1. Eva 01 Aware <--- Redrawn in all its glory!

2. Dance scene, I hope they keep the music.

3. Kiss scene - What is she woke up?

4. Battle with 03 which I know will be in there

SSD, You think Kaworu is a girl..Part of me believes that while part of me believes there is nothing down there. Kinda like a Ken doll but I mean Shinji did see him nakid in the shower...I'm shutting up now.
Dr. Trans Old Fashioned Peppermint Dickables

http://pshbling.deviantart.com/gallery/ Go there for Eva cosplay.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Tue Dec 09, 2008 1:46 pm

SSD, You think Kaworu is a girl..

Reichu started the madness. I'm merely one of the few Believers* of the awesomeness Fem-Kaworu. (*Tines-ojichan and Smith are also on board with this.)

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Tue Dec 09, 2008 2:02 pm

Kiss scene, blue hand twitching and all.

Rei and Toji's conversation on the roof.

02's head crashing into the shelter

Kaworu is almost certainly male physically, and I don't thing gender really matters to the seeds.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Action_Bastard
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby Action_Bastard » Tue Dec 09, 2008 3:45 pm

Kiss scene, blue hand twitching and all.

No, no, no, more passion! Am I right, fellow A/S'ers?
MyAnimeList

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Tue Dec 09, 2008 3:52 pm

NemZ wrote:02's head crashing into the shelter

Otakon 08 Ikari wrote:1. Eva 01 Aware <--- Redrawn in all its glory!
2. Dance scene, I hope they keep the music.
4. Battle with 03 which I know will be in there

These are "character scenes"?

I don't thing gender really matters to the seeds.

B-b-but... :cough:LCL-BELCHING VAGINA:cough:!

SSD wrote:Kaworu dropping her drawers and showing Asuka and the others the truth.

The probability of fem-Kaworu being mentioned has reached 1 early this time.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

NAveryW
Insect Politician
Insect Politician

Re: Scene Discussion for 2.0

•      
  •      

Postby NAveryW » Tue Dec 09, 2008 4:12 pm

Gendo'sPapa wrote:Whether they fight Israfel or not I figure it's a scene of such fan-servicey that it'd be a travesty for most to cut it.
Keep in mind that practically every single moment of fanservice was removed from the Gunbuster movie. Of course, I don't think Anno would really approve of the way they handled the rest of the movie either...
"Today?... hmm... today... right... Um... I'm just gonna wing it." -Guess who

master_lloyd
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby master_lloyd » Tue Dec 09, 2008 4:30 pm

Gunbuster without fan service? That must've been a short movie.
Neon Genesis Evangelion (from the Greek Ευανγελιον, meaning "Gigantic robots piloted by mentally ill children")
Eva Facts:
-Gendo's final silenced line to Ritsuko was "I'm going to shoot you now."
-Nagisa Kaworu kills a kitten every time you masturbate.
-Kaji's first and last name was Kaji

V
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby V » Tue Dec 09, 2008 4:43 pm

episode 7 can probably be almost entirely removed (just insert a new scene of Ritsuko explaining what "really happened" during Second Impact)

episodes 8 and 9 probably have to be in without much alteration

lets face facts people; episodes 1-6 make a good "movie", but the next set does not

apparently they're condensing episodes ~7/8 through 19 and are going to end on the "Shinji is tr*TWELVE* episodes in one movie when the last did only six, but I think the problem is simply that there is no mid-series cliffhanger....I mean they COULD have done Leliel but...

...look working backwards, I agree with "1-6 in movie #1", because it's a major stopping point. End of Eva makes an entire fourth film (possibly including episode 24), but that leaves...if you're "using about 5-6 episodes for a movie" as Rebuild 1 showed us is possible.....23, 22, 21, 20.....okay if they're doing 24 in movie 3, that's do-able: the cliffhanger is the end of the Zeruel fight, ending with Shinji absorbed by Eva

and movies 3 and 4 shouldn't have much screentime problems as a result

but the problem is that Rebuild 2, more than any other, is going to have to cut stuff out.

getting back to topic: so Rebuild 2 needs lets say "5 to 6 episodes worth of stuff in it"

it has to have episodes 17, 18, and 19, so that's the second half to final third of the film you're looking at.

They need to intro Asuka, so lets say episodes 8 and 9 are essential.

This leaves them only one "episode slot" left to run through episodes 10-13, and 15-16. (14 is a clip show now)

the thing to remember is that anime TV episodes infamously try to "pad for time"; there's a lot of "slow looking around the countryside" things (i.e. episode 4) which the movies can easily cut out, when the problem is not ENOUGH screentime to go around.

"major plot elements we need from episodes 10-13"

*most of Magmadiver can be cut, but they should include the "Asuka tries to impress Shinji with two piece bathing suit" segment, because it is a vital character growth scene (Asuka is sexually teasing Shinji....as her desperate attempt at interpersonal relationships, because her social skills are so stunted that's all she knows...while Shinji is to introverted to response)
*Episode 11....the funny thing is I grow to like the standalones more and more every time I see them, particularly the Studio Ghibli-produced 11. The only vital part from this episode, though, is the discussion between Rei and Asuka when Rei admits she doesn't think Gendo actually cares about her. You can insert that fairly well into some other scene (I can actually really imagine this dialogue inserted into any other episode fairly easily)
*you need to show Misato's background from episode 12, and have Ritsuko explain her background from episode 13

Alright, so if we've got "about one episode's worth of screentime to fit 10-13 and 15-16" in, we need:
*Asuka swimsuit scene with Shinji
*Rei saying at some point she's starting to realize Gendo cares more about "Yui" than "Rei" herself
*Background infromation on Misato (Second Impact flashback)
*Background information on Ritsuko...a simple voiceover where Ritsuko is explaining her relationship with her mother

combined, I seriously think that would take under 10 minutes

most of episode 15 can be ignored, but there's like 10 minutes you simply cannot...the kissing scene and Misato/Kaji

Let's face facts, I don't know if Leliel will be in this movie.

****wouldn't it be cool if they made a "compilation Angel"? That is, because they're cutting some out, they just do a "new" Angel to condense a few of the others?

They said seven more Angels are due....probably not including Kaworu....so....Arael and Armisael have to be in there, plus Zeruel and Bardiel.

three left....Gaghiel and Israfel.....and....actually, that leaves just one more.

Yeah....Gendo said "7 more Angels", this might not include Kaworu, and this adds up to all of the "essential" Angels, plus one.

Either way the editing will be difficult, and then they went and are adding in NEW characters and NEW Evas!

Seriously, how can they intro Asuka AND Mari in the same film?

my hope is that she is "introduced" in the cliffhanger ending, much as Kaworu was in Rebuild 1, or something.

...(sigh) at the very least, all the promotional art focuses on Asuka and not her, so at least they've got their focus right
Who is "Codename V"?....
I'm pleased to meet you and I hope you guessed my name, but what's puzzling you, is the nature of my game...so catch me if you can!! (0:50)
"Superior ability breeds superior ambition" -- Spock, Star Trek TOS episode 1.24 "Space Seed"
You say you say you want a REvolution?...
-->It was only after I lost everything, that I realized: I was free to do anything...

Lucretius
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Lucretius » Tue Dec 09, 2008 4:46 pm

Action_Bastard wrote:No, no, no, more passion! Am I right, fellow A/S'ers?

Yes. But then there wouldn't be any conflict in the last two films.

He shuddered a bit, remembering the somewhat creepy level of detail Kaji had gone into, while rubbing a watermelon in a disturbingly sexual way.

Life is a continuous nut-kicking contest where your turn comes last if ever. -majlund

Proud supporter of Shinji x Sachiel

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Tue Dec 09, 2008 5:40 pm

V wrote:Seriously, how can they intro Asuka AND Mari in the same film?

The next episode trailer for 2.0 is so much out-of-established-canon (and into the realms usually occupied by ff.net) that I think all bets are off as to whether anything significant will be retained (apart perhaps from the Zerual boss-fight).

It would be nice to be able to post "Shinji/Mari end confirmed", though.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Tue Dec 09, 2008 6:06 pm

We don't even know who Mari is let alone how she would get along (or not) with Shinji.

V
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby V » Tue Dec 09, 2008 7:12 pm

some say she's Keel's daughter, others, say that she is the doomed pilot of Eva Unit 04

Only time will tell

what is apparent from "Evangelion Proposal" is that originally, there were no Mass Production Evas, and the last 2 Evas would be Eva-05 and Eva-06. The "Final multiple enemy battle" would be the "Final 12 Angels descending from the Moon"

sort of an in-story reference to how they abandoned this, is when in episode 23 Hyuga says that the original Units 05 and 06 were scrapped for parts, which they used to repair Unit 00 and Unit 02 post-Zeruel fight. The finished Units 5 and 6 were MP Evas.
Who is "Codename V"?....
I'm pleased to meet you and I hope you guessed my name, but what's puzzling you, is the nature of my game...so catch me if you can!! (0:50)
"Superior ability breeds superior ambition" -- Spock, Star Trek TOS episode 1.24 "Space Seed"
You say you say you want a REvolution?...
-->It was only after I lost everything, that I realized: I was free to do anything...

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Tue Dec 09, 2008 7:28 pm

I agree with Gendo'sPapa.
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

UrsusArctos
The Beginning and The End
The Beginning and The End

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Tue Dec 09, 2008 7:55 pm

V wrote:some say she's Keel's daughter, others, say that she is the doomed pilot of Eva Unit 04

Keel's daughter? Hardly likely.

Doomed pilot of Eva-04? Even more unlikely. Why go to the trouble of giving her so much publicity if she's destined to go BOOOOM in an accident?
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
Not knowing that Monk is bi is like not knowing the Pope is Catholic - ZapX
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”