What anime are you watching right now? May07-Feb10

Old sticky threads from different subfora are preserved here for easy reference

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mr. Tines » Sun Dec 30, 2007 7:15 am

BrikHaus wrote:Oh god, I hated that series.

A great manga rather ruined by its animated adaptation (so what's new there, then?).

It lost most of Hachi's introspection, all of Ai's back-story and the actual voyage to Jupiter; rewrote for the worse a lot of the SDF sub-plot that occupied the later episodes; added the moon-ninjas and the non-flying office staff and that "Aaargh!! NO!!! Why did you do that???" final scene.

Oh, and over the break, I've finally stormed through the last 1/3 of Higurashi Kai, having fast-forwarded through the scene in ep 16 where Takano kept sending me to sleep, and into the bits where the story picks up again.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Sun Dec 30, 2007 12:09 pm

BrikHaus wrote:
SPOILER: Show
Hachimaki is a fucking huge douche bag. He treats his girlfriend like a piece of shit the entire time they date. How are we supposed to like/identify with a main character that is a total dick 100% of the time? He later resolves never to be like his father, who he hates. Then, he ends up marrying the girl, and leaving her and their unborn child behind. He became exactly like his father. And it wasn't meant to be an ironic ending. He was actually happy about the way things turned out. What a pile of bullshit. Fucking terrible writing. Fuck Planetes,

Perhaps you missed the point how there is no progress without those egoists who are driven to succeed? The idea is that you either stay behind or you chase your dreams. And what I love about Planetes is that it doesn't soften up the decision, it shows that there are real consequences for going after what you love. I actually think Hachi comes off better in the dub. Even though I watched it subbed, I've seen a few episodes dubbed and plan on watching it all that way the next time around.

Mr. Tines wrote:A great manga rather ruined by its animated adaptation (so what's new there, then?).
I hate comparing films with books - even animated series with mangas. It's two different mediums, dammit! And series/films don't have to be an exact adaptation at all. Planetes seemed to succeed at everything it did. I really can't find many flaws with it except for some silly early episodes (the ninjas were stupid).
Cinelogue & Forced Perspective Cinema
^ Writing as Jonathan Henderson ^
We're all adrift on the stormy seas of Evangelion, desperately trying to gather what flotsam can be snatched from the gale into a somewhat seaworthy interpretation so that we can at last reach the shores of reason and respite. - ObsessiveMathsFreak
Jimbo has posted enough to be considered greater than or equal to everyone, and or synonymous with the concept of 'everyone'. - Muggy
I've seen so many changeful years, / to Earth I am a stranger grown: / I wander in the ways of men, / alike unknowing and unknown: / Unheard, unpitied, unrelieved, / I bear alone my load of care; / For silent, low, on beds of dust, / Lie all that would my sorrows share. - Robert Burns' Lament for James

BrikHaus
Dokutah Tenma
Dokutah Tenma

Postby BrikHaus » Sun Dec 30, 2007 12:33 pm

Eva Yojimbo wrote:Perhaps you missed the point how there is no progress without those egoists who are driven to succeed?

Oh right, of course. I didn't like it, so I must have "missed the point." Either that, or maybe I just thought it sucked. It's gotta be one of those two.
Awesomely Shitty
-"That purace has more badassu maddafaakas zan supermax spaceland."
-On EMF, as a thread becomes longer, the likelihood that fem-Kaworu will be mentioned increases exponentially.
-the only English language novel actually being developed in parallel to its Japanese version involving a pan-human Soviet in a galactic struggle to survive and to export the communist utopia/revolution to all the down trodden alien class and race- one of the premise being that Khrushchev remains and has abandoned Lysenko stupidity

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Sun Dec 30, 2007 12:49 pm

BrikHaus wrote:Either that, or maybe I just thought it sucked.
It might suck, but that's life. And I'd much rather have an anime that depicts real consequences for actions and choices rather than a "it's all rainbows and puppies and happy time as long as you follow your heart and do what's right" BS.

You honestly think it would've been better if he gave up his dream to stay behind with her? Really?
We're all adrift on the stormy seas of Evangelion, desperately trying to gather what flotsam can be snatched from the gale into a somewhat seaworthy interpretation so that we can at last reach the shores of reason and respite. - ObsessiveMathsFreak
Jimbo has posted enough to be considered greater than or equal to everyone, and or synonymous with the concept of 'everyone'. - Muggy
I've seen so many changeful years, / to Earth I am a stranger grown: / I wander in the ways of men, / alike unknowing and unknown: / Unheard, unpitied, unrelieved, / I bear alone my load of care; / For silent, low, on beds of dust, / Lie all that would my sorrows share. - Robert Burns' Lament for James

BrikHaus
Dokutah Tenma
Dokutah Tenma

Postby BrikHaus » Sun Dec 30, 2007 1:17 pm

Eva Yojimbo wrote:
BrikHaus wrote:Either that, or maybe I just thought it sucked.
It might suck, but that's life. And I'd much rather have an anime that depicts real consequences for actions and choices rather than a "it's all rainbows and puppies and happy time as long as you follow your heart and do what's right" BS.

That ending would have been the only logical one for the character growth he seemed to be having near the end. Yet it was just tossed away at the last second. By the way, having a happy ending does not make something "happy BS." God forbid we should watch TV or a movie or an anime and have to see a nice resolution. It's escapism. It shouldn't have to be depressing or infuriating at the end in order for it to be considered "good." We've got enough depressing shit to watch and read about every day in the news. If people who liked "realistic" endings better ever got out of their perfect lives in suburbia, and starting spending time with real people, for example, a homeless child living in the ghetto with a terminal disease (like one of my real-life hospital patients), then maybe a conclusion that lifts you up a little at the end wouldn't seem so bad. But for Planetes it wasn't just the ending that made me dislike it. It was just the final straw.

You honestly think it would've been better if he gave up his dream to stay behind with her? Really?

Yes.
Awesomely Shitty
-On EMF, as a thread becomes longer, the likelihood that fem-Kaworu will be mentioned increases exponentially.
-the only English language novel actually being developed in parallel to its Japanese version involving a pan-human Soviet in a galactic struggle to survive and to export the communist utopia/revolution to all the down trodden alien class and race- one of the premise being that Khrushchev remains and has abandoned Lysenko stupidity

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Sun Dec 30, 2007 1:55 pm

BrikHaus wrote:That ending would have been the only logical one for the character growth he seemed to be having near the end.
Actually, I think the ending that happened was the only logical one. Character growth doesn't mean they discover the path they've chosen is the wrong one. Hachi wasn't making a "wrong" choice, he was just struggling with the reason and consequences and how to deal with it.

BrikHaus wrote: Yet it was just tossed away at the last second.
I don't think he tossed anything away. I think he merely was able to put his choice in perspective, and understand why he was doing what he was doing.
Hachi was mostly struggling with the idea of not needing anyone. Living alone, and isolating himself from others. He thinks this is the only way he can go on the mission while not being hurt. But he realizes that cutting himself off from others, and Tanabe, isn't the answer. But neither is the answer giving up his dream of going to Jupiter. Therefor, he has to pay the price for chasing his dream - it can't be "easy", because achieving your dreams shouldn't come without paying a price.

BrikHaus wrote: By the way, having a happy ending does not make something "happy BS."
I didn't say anything about a happy ending, I merely meant optimistic, ideal, and empty "messages" that don't amount to a hill of beans. Now and Then, Here and There suffered from that as well. They tackled some heavy subjects, and then took the easy, trite way out every time. Someone nailed my feelings when they said "either go the whole way and discuss the topic or don't bring it up at all". Planetes is how to do it without falling into childish, mawkish territory.

BrikHaus wrote: God forbid we should watch TV or a movie or an anime and have to see a nice resolution.
"Nice resolution" is in the eye of the beholder.

BrikHaus wrote: It's escapism.
It's also art, and a main artistic purpose it to reflect life.

BrikHaus wrote: It shouldn't have to be depressing or infuriating at the end in order for it to be considered "good."
Who said it had to be? I found Planetes ending both well resolved, and neither depressing or infuriating.

BrikHaus wrote: We've got enough depressing shit to watch and read about every day in the news. If people who liked "realistic" endings better ever got out of their perfect lives in suburbia, and starting spending time with real people, for example, a homeless child living in the ghetto with a terminal disease (like one of my real-life hospital patients), then maybe a conclusion that lifts you up a little at the end wouldn't seem so bad.
It has nothing to do with "realism" VS. "escapism" or "happy ending" VS "sad ending" or "uplifting" VS "depressing", it has everything to do with how something is presented and resolved. I don't know where I gave the impression that I think something can only be good if it's realistic and ends depressingly. Hell, I dislike most Italian Neo-realism and films like Bicycle Thieves and love a series like Escaflowne that ends about as happy as could be expected.

What I'm saying is, if you're going to bring up topics, then it's the work's responsibility to cover it intelligently rather than muddling it up with trite "messages". If a work is going to be escapist fantasy then that's fine. I enjoy a great deal of "art" that falls under that category. But there's a right way and a wrong way to do anything, and I don't think it's fair to fault Planetes just because a character doesn't do what YOU want him to do.

Why do you think the answer is for Hachi to stay behind with Tanabe? Why is giving up your dreams for someone else any better of a message than working your ass off to succeed and achieve what you really want in life? To me, a depressing ending would've been Hachi failing to make the crew and not getting Tanabe.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mr. Tines » Sun Dec 30, 2007 2:04 pm

@BrikHaus & Eva Yojimbo

The correct answer is not to have fagged up the ending, and instead kept it faithful to the manga.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Sun Dec 30, 2007 2:14 pm

Mr. Tines wrote:@BrikHaus & Eva Yojimbo

The correct answer is not to have fagged up the ending, and instead kept it faithful to the manga.
I don't think the ending is fagged up at all. Since I won't read it, how did the manga end? Just put it in spoiler quotes.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mr. Tines » Sun Dec 30, 2007 2:25 pm

Eva Yojimbo wrote:how did the manga end? Just put it in spoiler quotes.

Hachi gets to Jupiter and makes the equivalent of the "one small step" speech, then says he will go back to collecting debris when he gets home. Ai has been carrying on as a debris collector, waiting for him.

They have not sprogged yet.

Hunter21
Pilot
Pilot

Postby Hunter21 » Sun Dec 30, 2007 2:44 pm

That is a better ending.

BrikHaus
Dokutah Tenma
Dokutah Tenma

Postby BrikHaus » Sun Dec 30, 2007 2:48 pm

Yeah, I agree, much better.
Awesomely Shitty

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Sun Dec 30, 2007 2:52 pm

Meh, it's ok.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mr. Tines » Sat Jan 05, 2008 10:02 am

http://evageeks.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=141092#141092

Added Mikan Lesbian to the rewatch, and Princess Tutu to the watch because the collected set at £18 incl transatlantic P&P was too good to pass up on, and because the Q1 '08 season looks to be full of fail.

Also finished StrikerS rewatch
Last edited by Mr. Tines on Sat Jan 05, 2008 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Themaninblack
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

Postby Themaninblack » Sat Jan 05, 2008 11:07 am

I'm watching Monster and Gurren Laggan.....oh and Naruto. Yeah, heap it on me.

I watched Eureka 7 a while back. Avoid that like the fucking plague...seriously.
I won.

majlund
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

Postby majlund » Sat Jan 05, 2008 1:03 pm

I just finished Cowboy Bebop - quite enjoyable. Now I'm starting on Azumanga Daioh.
I'm watching both series because of the recommendation thread.
Si vis Pacem para Bellum

BrikHaus
Dokutah Tenma
Dokutah Tenma

Postby BrikHaus » Sat Jan 05, 2008 1:07 pm

Giving Black Lagoon and Fantastic Children a go. Finishing up the first third of Monster. After that I'm going to dust off my DVD collection and rewatch some old favorites.
Awesomely Shitty

Aka_Stains
Embryo

Postby Aka_Stains » Tue Jan 08, 2008 9:04 pm

Rewatching Death Note. *Sigh*.

I might check to see if there is anymore Naruto Shippuuden. Oh wait....it comes out on the tenth of January....urgh! -.-
http://www.myspace.com/rockersuniteyea

Hunter21
Pilot
Pilot

Postby Hunter21 » Wed Jan 09, 2008 4:52 pm

Of the new season I am watching/planning to watch Rosario to Vampire (the panties are pretty), Ookami to Koushinryou (Spice and wolf), Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou, Kimi ga Aruji de Shitsuji ga Ore de, Ah My Goddess, Aria, and Yatterman.

Kaysow
Bardiel
Bardiel

Postby Kaysow » Wed Jan 09, 2008 6:53 pm

Yeah so I was really unimpressed by Cowboy Bebop. I think it's Nabeshin I don't like, because Excel Saga was really bad, CB only mediocre. See I like deep shit, and these two series by the guy aren't, they're ALL standalone episodes, that could take place ANYWHERE, ANYTIME, which failed to be very involving. GitS:SAC managed to pull that off with gusto, so it shouldn't be impossible.
And there's really no introspection or emotion there, which I've come to enjoy and expect from Final Fantasy, Eva and all that which got me into Japanese entertainment culture in the first place.
So that's my excuse, one of which is warranted because this is a recognized masterpiece I'm dissing here.
Also, I've been depressed outta my mind, so that might have ruined it a bit too. Gonna keep the box and have another go with a pal who just got back from Thailand, this time with the dub. Then we'll see =) It wasn't BAD, only thing bad, like I said, was the lack of sweet emo.

Now I'm getting back to Lucky Star. Watched a few episodes this summer, and dropped it because it was meaningless. It still is, sort of, but entertaining enough. The structure is really shit, jumping ahead whenever it feels like it, thus eliminating any chances to build on mood and immersion. And noone can deny that it really just is a cheap Azumanga-ripoff that misses a vital nerve.
If I have no soul to touch, no heart to love, no evil to rise up above
No angels and no ghosts, no real victories to toast
If you believe that this is true then I must ask;
to what end do you proceed?

-Dustin Kensrue, Thrice

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mr. Tines » Wed Jan 09, 2008 7:01 pm

http://evageeks.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=147396#147396

Dropped: Moyashimon
This could have been fluffy and slightly educational with it; and after 6 episodes, I was willing to rate it as "unexpectedly good". But then the next two episodes got subbed...after the half-way point, the gross fermented foodstuffs give way to frat-boy antics, sophomoric ecchi humour, and bolt-on by-the-numbers fan-service (trap? check. lipstick lesbians? check.) -- which literally loses the plot. It wasn't about the people, it was about fun with fermentation, and related bio-industrial or similar processes.

Started: Wolf & Spice
Apart from "Tail feel so good" and "10% is acceptable" posts on /a/ I know nothing about the series. Episode 1 was entirely harmless, but gives no real clue as to what direction it's going to develop in.

Return to “Old Stickies”