Who?

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
Dave
Lilin
Lilin

Who?

•      
  •      

Postby Dave » Mon Jun 21, 2004 6:26 pm

In EoE after the two girls leave Shinji while he is in the sandbax making a pyramid there is a scene of the sunset with a building on either side of the screen. On top of the left building is a person who walks away right before the scene goes back to Shinji. Who the hell is that?
Beatus vir qui suffert tentationem.

bp32
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby bp32 » Mon Jun 21, 2004 6:35 pm

I am pretty sure its Shinji. As the girls are leaving notive that Shinji is on one platform and the other characters on another one that is not connected. He cannot reach them. Then the camera angle changes to the bottom of the space between the two platforms. Shinji watches them walk away, cannot be with them, and goes back to the sandbox where he is again all alone and begins to cry...I think :D
"Men judge generally more by the eye than by the hand, for everyone can see and few can feel. Every one sees what you appear to be, few really know what you are."-Niccolo Machiavelli

"In religion and politics, people's beliefs and convictions are in almost every case gotten at second hand, and without examination."-Mark Twain

Nephilim
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby Nephilim » Mon Jun 21, 2004 6:56 pm

That woman looks a lot like Misato.

Here is a pic of the woman:
[url]http://www.avians.net/rkc/14daughters/26_studio-set-fuu_mama.jpg[/url]

And here is a sketch of the same image, from the groundwork of evangelion:
[url]http://www.avians.net/rkc/14daughters/groundworkm2_095_studio-set-fuu.jpg[/url]

maybe is Misato, and maybe has some weird meaning, but who the hell knows...
*insert cool signature here*

bp32
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby bp32 » Mon Jun 21, 2004 7:03 pm

but it isn't the women he is referring to, its the person after the woman and the two girls walk away that appears to be standing on a building/platform. Look at the scene right after they walk away and focus on the little figure at the top left corner--right before the scene goes back to Shinji you will see the figure turn and walk away--I think it is Shinji for reasons stated above...

...unless of course you were just commenting that she looked like Misato--then disregard the above rambling :) I think it could be since the two little girls/dolls appear to represent Asuka and Rei....
"Men judge generally more by the eye than by the hand, for everyone can see and few can feel. Every one sees what you appear to be, few really know what you are."-Niccolo Machiavelli

"In religion and politics, people's beliefs and convictions are in almost every case gotten at second hand, and without examination."-Mark Twain

Nephilim
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby Nephilim » Mon Jun 21, 2004 7:06 pm

OH MAN !!!! :shock:
I'm so stupid !!! :?
I thought that you was reffering to the woman that leaves with the dolls.

Of course bp32 is right, duh, is Shinji watching them leaving, an then returning to the sandbox.

Im so stupid :roll:

I hope that somebody else post about that other subject:
Is that woman Misato or not? hehe, i don't wanna waste the previous post that i made :lol:
*insert cool signature here*

Phaze
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby Phaze » Mon Jun 21, 2004 7:45 pm

It was supposed to be the two girls' mother, but your right, she looks like Misato. Perhaps it's because Shinji always saw Misato as his replacement mother?
The purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!

Xanatose
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Xanatose » Mon Jun 21, 2004 8:06 pm

Actually, the woman looks rather vague. She could easily be associated with a number of women or older girls from various other animes. I think her design was intentionally generic to give her an "this could be anyone" feel the auddiance could easily relate to without thinking about it, allow us to move on quickly while understanding the general message we were meant to receave (i.e. this is a mother figure.)

yjs
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby yjs » Mon Jun 21, 2004 8:10 pm

I never actually properly understood the scene... Can anyone with godly knowledge of Evangelion explain it?
"Go kill the lights, we'll glow till morning comes..."

My LiveJournal: http://www.livejournal.com/users/yujin_34/

Phaze
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby Phaze » Mon Jun 21, 2004 9:23 pm

yjs wrote:I never actually properly understood the scene... Can anyone with godly knowledge of Evangelion explain it?

It was meant to show how lonely and seperated Shinji felt without his mother, you probably noticed the very suggestive setting of the scene. I believe this symbolizes how he was still safe in his mothers womb.

Anyway, I still think it was Misato who was sitting there. It would make sense since Rei and Asuka were. All three Shinji loved in one way or another, all three Shinji had to deal with during complementation, and all three, it seems, appeared in that scene.
The purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Mon Jun 21, 2004 11:05 pm

yjs wrote:I never actually properly understood the scene... Can anyone with godly knowledge of Evangelion explain it?

In my opinion, its a scene purposely abstract, with no real specific meaning. I think its a scene where the director may have had something he wanted to express, but the scene is largely interpretive. Not to mention that Anno likes provoking feelings of discomfort. That scene is abstract and odd to watch. But in short, its something I suggest you find your own answers to. You can't be told what to feel about it. You simply have to allow it to evoke a reaction from you. That is its purpose.

Phaze
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby Phaze » Tue Jun 22, 2004 12:05 am

The Eva Monkey wrote:In my opinion, its a scene purposely abstract, with no real specific meaning.

I disagree, there was definite intended symbolism. Most of the events in the scene can be explained. Though I do agree the mood of the scene was definetely meant to be uncomfortable.

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Tue Jun 22, 2004 12:28 am

I agree that there is some very obviously intended symbolism. For instance, Shinji creates a pyramid, and then destroys it. This to me symbolizes his hate for his father, and echoes Shinji's threats to destroy the Nerv HQ. It also mirror's the concept of death and rebirth, as he destroys and then rebuilds the pyramid.The stage obviously represents some degree of belief on Shinji's part that his life is structured, scripted, and perhaps a bit of a farce. The girls, or dolls most likely are intended to illustrate that though he is surrounded by others, he is fundamentally alone.

Perhaps I didn't phrase that properly. Though it means something to Anno, I don't think he intended for everyone to walk away with the same interpretation. I think everyone interprets it slighlty differently. And for that it is ambigous. And if it isn't obvious enough for a majority to confer, then it has no true meaning, because whether something was intended or not, what matters is how it is recieved and interpretted. Lets not forget that things change on a whim, meanings change, because of the way someone wants to interpret something.

For instance, the Angels are known as Apostles (Shito) in the Japanese. Anno wanted to change for the American version, among other things, the fact that the "Angels" were Angels rather than Apostles.

Do we refer to them as Apostles? No, because most people don't know this, and even if they did, we all confer that they are Angels.

What matters is interpretation. Not intention. Does that make sense? Or am I just rambling? :?

EVA-01X
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby EVA-01X » Tue Jun 22, 2004 10:18 am

Your rambling for sure. But I never knew that Anno himself changed it from Shito to Angels, weird........
The demon returns after a long slumber....
http://www.evamade.org/user.php?id.161
New Signature Image Policy
^Clicky for Evamade!

MongolSquad
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby MongolSquad » Tue Jun 22, 2004 2:10 pm

well weren't there 12 apostles? but theres 17 beings that appera in eva, so i guess anno thought apostles wouldn't be appropiate, and anyways angels fits better seeing how angels are higher beings and have been depicted in so many forms and the apostles were humans.

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Tue Jun 22, 2004 4:10 pm

Actually, the original concept called for 12 Angels. However there is the whole monster of the week thing, and they had to inflate it to keep the action going. However, in the Manga there are 12 angels. So the 12 Apostles thing fits in the Manga.

And, yeah... sorry, I do ramble a lot. :wink:

Dave
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Dave » Tue Jun 22, 2004 4:16 pm

What angels aren't in the manga?

EVA-01X
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby EVA-01X » Tue Jun 22, 2004 4:23 pm

Ummm.........(thinks) Matriel (Giant Spider Thing) Iruel(Computer Virus), Sandelfon (Magma Monster), Leileil (Zebra Cueball), and.........dammit!!! I can't remember the last one!!!!!!!!
The demon returns after a long slumber....
http://www.evamade.org/user.php?id.161
New Signature Image Policy
^Clicky for Evamade!

Dave
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Dave » Tue Jun 22, 2004 4:26 pm

They left out Leliel? That was one of my favorite angels. :( That battle really showed how horrifying the Eva's could be.

RubberSoul
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby RubberSoul » Sun Jul 04, 2004 4:23 am

I also have my own interpretation for the scene as well.

I thought the little girls playing with him represented his former happiness (When Yui was alive and when he was a child), and the fact that they left represented how he feels lonely. The woman possibly represented death. I thought Shinji's destruction of the pyramid represented how he felt about the outside world (He wished to be alone). He gets his wish to be alone and remembers how painful it is to be lonely, so he wants to take his wish back. This is symbolized by the rebuilding of the pyramid.

Sorry if my grammar sucks. It's really late.
I can only take so much retarded.

Arcadian83
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Arcadian83 » Sun Jul 04, 2004 12:09 pm

RubberSoul wrote:I also have my own interpretation for the scene as well.

I thought the little girls playing with him represented his former happiness (When Yui was alive and when he was a child), and the fact that they left represented how he feels lonely. The woman possibly represented death. I thought Shinji's destruction of the pyramid represented how he felt about the outside world (He wished to be alone). He gets his wish to be alone and remembers how painful it is to be lonely, so he wants to take his wish back. This is symbolized by the rebuilding of the pyramid.

Sorry if my grammar sucks. It's really late.

I like this interpretation from a psychology point of view. It really does well at putting a finger on the otherwise unsettlingly profound and cryptic feeling that are protrayed. While it would be nice to read into and connect it to story specifics from outside the scene and whatnot, I think this description could stand alone without all that.

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”